Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Water in passenger footwell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
miniman8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Stripped out boot side trim this afternoon, no sign of water at all anywhere, put it all back together & started on second row of seats, that’s a mission in itself, the bolts are just about as inaccessible as they could be & to make things just a little more difficult, some of the bolts exit under the car which means they are a bit rusty so more difficult to remove, got them all out & seats removed, lifted the carpet & it is wet up to just before the centre of car, strapped it up to back of front seats to dry out, what I did notice is that the carpet under the 3rd row seats is only wet on passenger side & the not very far up, the panel underneath the carpet is dry where it rises up, proped this carpet up so I could see if any water ran in & soaked the car with the hose while looking in from the drivers side, again nothing at all inside. I need to just check out under the carpet in the 3rd row seat on passenger side, but I’ve had enough today, will leave it till tomorrow.
Tom Big Cry

Post #208810229th Sep 2019 5:47 pm
miniman8

Update on water issue, decided not to remove 3rd row seats as it’s obvious that water is not getting in here, put all seats back in this morning along with the now dried out carpet. Then went up to see the indie I use for large jobs to see if they had any ideas on where the water is coming in, told them what I had already done, he had a look & suggested I try the top of the windscreen, the screen has started to delaminate in the top corners & along the entire top, this in itself won’t cause the leak, I then taped over the top edge of the a post trim & down the side onto the windscreen, also taped the top of the windscreen right across the roof. Seen another post suggesting using talcum powder to trace wher the water is coming in, so put some at the front of the channel on the slope & just in front of the bc post also in the channel, it has now rained & both areas of talcum are unmarked but there is water in the channel, to say I’m baffled is putting it mildly, the only thing I can think is that this is trapped inside the door & when it gets to a certain level it leaks out of the door card by the door bin & ends up in the floor channel, anyone had this happen?.
Tom

Post #208852230th Sep 2019 11:42 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

There are drains in the bottom of the doors so you could check with a small screwdriver to see whether they are blocked

Post #20885311st Oct 2019 1:32 am
miniman8

Checked the drains in door & they are clear, took off the door card & removed the large speaker so I could see inside, there was no rubbish or anything in bottom of door, just had a tremendous thunder storm & no water in the channel.
Still a bit baffled as to where water is coming in, next job will be to strip of tape from around a post & see if water comes in.
Tom

Post #20886971st Oct 2019 5:36 pm
miniman8

I had some more water in channel this morning, not as much as before, still not sure where it’s coming from though. I just lifted the carpet up with a piece of wood so that I could get a good look with a torch, the underside of the carpet is really wet the closer you get to the transmission tunnel. While I’m here does anyone know what the big grey disc is under the carpet?
There is no water coming in over the pollen filter & heater so that would tend to rule out the scuttle panel leaking, I just wonder if its leaking in centre behind centre console & just running down side of transmission tunnel under carpet, not getting as far as pollen filter.
Any more thoughts would be appreciated.
Tom

Post #20890352nd Oct 2019 4:48 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Just another thought, have you checked that the drain tubes from the heater/A/C core are clear. There's one either side of the transmission tunnel. Though if they were blocked I'd expect to see water in the driver's foot well also.

Any time I've had water in my passenger footwell it has come in though the past 'A' pillar trim.

Recently I had a new screen fitted and though the fitters were aware that the bottom dowel on the trim was to be cut off and the corresponding locating hole in the body blocked. They blocked it with some of the screen sealant which failed and I soon noticed condensation on the inside of the glass. When I checked I found there was water in the footwell and the gutter under the sill trims was full.

Now I knew I had no problem before the screen was fitted, so I checked what the screen fitters had done and had to remove the sealant and close over the locating holes at the top and bottom of the 'A' pillar with duct tape (which is what the 'A' pillar trim repair kit contains). They had also used the wrong fixings which I also had to replace. Now 2 months later my footwell is still dry, so don't discount the 'A' pillars as the problem, get them off and refit with the proper repair kit.

Post #20890622nd Oct 2019 6:12 pm
miniman8

I will have a go at the a post again with new clips, just one thing the large foam block at the bottom is soaked with water, it has a split in it, the driver side one is virtually bone dry, this is the area over the top of the wing under the bonnet, could this be an issue, I’m so baffled by this that I’m clutching at straws a bit, is this kit still available from LR or can I get it from somewhere else?
I’ve looked at the technical bulletin on the repair & it looks like the lower locator is separate, I’m sure on mine it comes thru the large foam strip, which on the bulletin is separate, it says to remove the foam washer, but mine doesn’t have a separate washer.
Does anyone know how to get at a/c drains without taking half the b Censored y car apart?
Thanks for your suggestions.
Tom

Post #20893203rd Oct 2019 5:43 pm
Alphamale

This is how the 'A' pillar trim should look before you refit it. Note the locating pin has been cut off and the piece of foam it passed through is also removed. The white fixing clip is in the right position and the dense foam block still in place at the trim base.

Click image to enlarge

Though not part of the technical bullet-in I also removed the top location pin and covered both location holes in the pillar.

The kits are available on Ebay just look up 'Discovery 3 'A' pillar post trim'.

If you remove the side panels on each side of the heater and you should be able to see the tubes where the pass through the tunnel. It's not the hard plastic trim that comes round the front of the heater, but the soft covered bit beyond that, which simply pulls off. (If you put your finger up behind it you can feel the ribbed tube). With the panel off you may be able to clear the tube by squeezing them, or you may have to take them off, but once you have found them you'll be able to investigate how the come off. Personally I'd do the pillar trims first and see of that sorts things out.

Post #20893413rd Oct 2019 6:54 pm
miniman8

Thanks for the update, the top pin has already been broken off but was still in place so I covered the hole & pushed the broken pin back in (probably not a good idea! in hindsight), l need this kit quickly so will see how much LR dealer wants for it, I noticed on your pictures that the foam rubber strip is quite proud of the surface, mine is virtually flat & almost not existent this can’t be helping to keep the water out, the piece across the top is the same.
Is the soft piece at the side of transmission tunnel covered in carpet?
Tom

Post #20894063rd Oct 2019 10:37 pm
Alphamale

Yes, the panel to the side of the tunnel is covered in a soft material (possible carpet, couldn't tell in the dark) You can't mistake it, if you run your hand along the plastic side panel you'll notice the change in texture. Just pull this small panel off.

Picture's not too clear, the foam piece isn't very proud. It's shaped to follow the contours of the 'A' pillar just from about bonnet level and support the trim. If it's a little damaged it probably won't be a problem as the water ingress is from the top, at the roof gutter cover trims and down the 2 sides of it.

Post #20894203rd Oct 2019 11:56 pm
miniman8

Hi, thanks for the help & info, will see if I can get the kit this morning & get it done.
I’ll post an update once I’ve stopped it leaking.
Tom

Post #20894684th Oct 2019 8:55 am
miniman8

Went to local LR main dealer, asked for the repair kit & the parts person brought out the four yellow clips & not the lower white clip, when I explained about the technical bulletin he disappeared again & came back 10 minutes later to saying he could get it for Saturday & it was £15 , I ordered from e-bay on Friday & it arrived today £8.25.
Got down to fitting it this afternoon, passenger side came off no problem, drivers side was really tight & when It did eventually come off it broke 3 of the clips, these were the new type so this must have already been done, got the broken clips out of a post & fitted both sides, it’s raining outside now so will see in morning if it’s fixed the leak.
Tom

Post #20898635th Oct 2019 10:57 pm
miniman8

I’m at a loss there was water in the channel again not much wasn’t full, but enough, I would say about 100ml, cannot see where it is coming in nowhere appears wet it’s just there, my car is parked on a slope facing downhill so it drains to the front.
I had a look at the a/c drain tube, again no leaks & carpet around pipe & under pipe is dry so it’s not leaking there.
I thought it may have been the inner door seal, so laid some kitchen paper under the inner edge of the seal & soaked the door, but nothing is getting in that way.
Anyone got any ideas, it looks like I will just have to keep draining it out when it fills up.
The sunroof is still taped up on outside so that’s not the issue.
Tom

Post #20899946th Oct 2019 12:30 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Use some food colouring dyes in a watering can to pour over the car use different colours in different places then use white kitchen roll to mop up the water.
It was the only way i was able to find a leak before that turned out to be a leaky windscreen.

Post #20900056th Oct 2019 1:21 pm
miniman8

Thanks, I did try this on a post, but will give it a go, later.
Cheers tom

Post #20900066th Oct 2019 1:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >