Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Water leak - possible solution (excuse the pun!)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Water leak - possible solution (excuse the pun!)

Hello,

Possible solution (sorry about the pun) to a leaking roof below:

As posted elsewhere, I've had a load of water leak into my car and wet the rear headlining. I assumed this was the roof blanking plate for the aerial and was going to book it into the dealer.

However on closer inspection, I spotted that the rubber grommet at the base of the rubber surround that coveres the loom running between the tailgate and the body had worked loose. You can see this on the following photo. Basically, with the boot open, I'm looking at the gap between the roof and tailgate.

It's probably possible to push this back into the base of the car, but I discovered that the plastic surround at the back of the headlining just pulls off (the retaining clips aren't broken in the process). This makes it much easier to pull the grommet back through.

One tip - I luckily avoided. Remove the rear light and bulb that sits in the plastic surround before you do this, otherwise, when pulling the plastic surround off, you could pull the flying leads from out the back of the bulb socket if the plastic cover comes off suddenly.

Click image to enlarge

I've cleaned all the dirty water off the back of the plastic cover and squeezed the water from the headlining. I'll probably leave it off for a couple of days to help dry it out. I've also put a de-humidifier in the boot on an extension cable to help dry it out - I'll remove this before leaving the house!

Anyway - dead simple fix, might be worth checking to save the faff of going to a dealer - takes minutes to sort.

I covered the roof with water from a hose and it appears to have fixed it.

Now I'll probably just have to live with an annoying squeak from the rear headlining! Wink

Hope that's helpful for someone!

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #2305073rd Dec 2007 8:18 pm
Valleyforge

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Good tip there John C. Thumbs Up

A good creeping crack cure is Captain Tolleys leak sealant - I use on boat windows etc. and works extremely well. Just make sure you mop up any excess though, its a b*gger to get off paint / grp when dry. I'll squirt some round those grommet things as a good measure.

http://www.captaintolley.com/
 I liked my D2, but my D3's better ....(& the RRS better still)  
Post #3568458th Oct 2008 1:41 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The other side of the grommet is the high level brake light housing. That will just be getting full of water now. Shocked It must be leaking.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #3569578th Oct 2008 7:16 pm
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Think yourself lucky its water not FIRE Shocked Rolling Eyes

Cheers

Rob
 MY05 TDV6 SE, dirt colour, Now cremated !!!!!!!  
Post #3571639th Oct 2008 7:48 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Laughing Very Happy

It would have taken more than a leak to put yours out. Whistle
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #3571839th Oct 2008 8:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >