DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Again with the water in the footwell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Again with the water in the footwell

So,

Getting well fed up now. Checked both driver and passanger footwell, and both are saturated with water.

Surface of carpet dry to touch, but underneath drips if you squeeze into it.

So far I have

1: replaced both A pillar external trims and fixed with the new fixing kit
2: replaced and cleared all 4 sunroof drain elbows; front and back
3: fitted shield over ventilation air intake, under the scuttleboard/plenum chamber cowl; tbh the interior of the cabin filter chamber had a little bit of moisture, but the filter itself dry with no sign water damage, and should only affect passanger footwell, not both.
4: checked, cleaned, and flushed AC drains both sides, but carpet dry about those so don’t think likely.

The dampness is worst in the center of each footwell, the red circles.

The rubber seems pretty dry up the walls to the bulkhead on all sides, so guess that should rule out the above issues anyway.

Does anyone have any other ideas because I’m now stuck.

Andy

Last edited by XDAndy on 29th Apr 2018 2:12 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #194042728th Apr 2018 3:46 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi

apologises if you’ve already checked but what about the rubber drain plugs in the floor , if any are missing or haven’t been put back properly

know water can sit in the wiring loom floor pan

just a thought

Post #194042928th Apr 2018 3:50 pm
XDAndy

Thanks GS,

Any idea where I find the drain plugs?

Best info I can find is

But that doesn’t show location or number of drain plugs

As for the wiring loom, you mean the channel along the side of the car beside the doors? If so those are both dry at the moment since I replaced the sunroof drains.

Just water definitely gathering again, judging by the wet rubber, and if left I guess will gather enough to create standing water in the wiring loom channels - to be avoided!

Post #194045528th Apr 2018 4:32 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

o blimey now ur asking , i noticed some when i converted my front seat to electric and peeled the carpet back

will have a look if i’ve got any pics , u should be able to see them from underneath, but know when i undersealed the body the floor was like double skinned , so not 100%

indeed that channel, as when i first got mine that channel was full of water , was the windscreen A pillar and done the conversion of blanking off that bottom clip

just generally thinking , if it was the heater matrix u would notice that, see the aircon drains come down by the tunnel but see you’ve already mentioned that , ie hoses split as they travel by the tunnel

suppose my room for thought is removing both front seats , peeling the carpet back and then putting a hose pipe all over the landy , round the sunroof etc and also a hose up underneath, then running the heater and aircon to try and pin it down , know that’s not much help

Post #194055228th Apr 2018 10:06 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

tape the sunroofs off on the outside for a while....that should give a pointer

Post #194056428th Apr 2018 11:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
garrycol

Australia 
Re: Again with the water in the footwell

XDAndy wrote:
So,

Getting well fed up now. Checked both driver and passanger footwell, and both are saturated with water.

Surface of carpet dry to touch, but underneath drips if you squeeze into it.

So far I have

1: replaced both A pillar external trims and fixed with the new fixing kit

Could be any of the things that you mentioned however just putting a new fixing kit is not enough as water will still leak through the holes in the pillars. You need to place some gaffa tape over all the holes and put a bit of sealant over the top so when the clips are pushed in the hole and the area around the clips are sealed - where the protrusion of the cover sits in its elongated hole in the pillar again the elongated hole needs to be covered with gaffa tape with some sealant on it so that when you push the cover protrusion into the slot through the tape it fully seals - the cover needs to pushed down on the clips first withe the bottom lifted up so all is in position before you push the protrusion in.

Clear as mud but if you have fitted the pillar covers a few times it should be reasonably clear.

Garry

Post #194057129th Apr 2018 1:34 am
XDAndy

Quote:
Clear as mud but if you have fitted the pillar covers a few times it should be reasonably clear

Interesting idea, and thanks!

Actually went for sealing it all with vaseline, and done that twice now, and on lifting it this time it seemed reasonably secure and water tight (replaced all the clips again tho)

But the top locating pins on both sides ad snapped before I got the car, so they are both just saturated in vaseline. Couldn’t find the sealing patches from the new A pillar kit.

But, the rubber and carpet are dry up to where the A pillar would leak into, so can’t believei it’s that.

But next time I lift the a pillar trim, might very well do this.

Post #194057429th Apr 2018 2:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >