Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Washer liquid level sensor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pollafero

Belgium 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Washer liquid level sensor

Little question: does every D3 has the sensor for the level of the washer liquid in de washer bottle at the left hand side down under front bumper? Or is this a privilege that only the 'better' trim levels enjoy?
If not, can this washer liquid level sensor be retrofitted on a humble base level D3?
Thnx
 When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead, remember what the dormouse said: feed your head. (Jefferson Airplane)  
Post #71768218th Nov 2010 2:49 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Never got resolution on this when raised before - I know of several base 5 seaters that have it,my base 7 appears not to but surely it should Confused

Would be good to get a definitive yes or No

Whistle

Post #71791718th Nov 2010 11:08 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The level sensor was not fitted on my base 7 seater, but it should be able to be retrofitted, the wiring should be there, and you would need to cut the appropriate hole in the washer fluid bottle for the sensor and grommet, fit it & connect it ,and the low level warning light should then work. Or do what I, and a few others have done, and retrofit the complete headlamp wash system, and have it enabled on the ccf. (I did it mainly so I could use xenon headlamps legally Whistle ).

Post #71803719th Nov 2010 12:09 pm
pollafero

Tried to find out if my base 5 seater has it by sticking a mirror underneath the bumper. Seems the sensor normally sits between the 2 pumps (1 for windshield wiping, a smaller one for headlights) but couldn't see anything. So I will take off the washer bottle this weekend. Found already out part number of the said sensor is DMI 500010 and costs less than 2 £... Smile (Yes Nick, I should have ordered it together with the light switch... Embarassed )
BTW: what is the 'legal' connection between having Xenons and headlight washers? Never heard of that before... Confused
 When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead, remember what the dormouse said: feed your head. (Jefferson Airplane)  
Post #71804419th Nov 2010 12:34 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

In the UK, I believe all cars with 'proper' xenon headlamps should have a means of self levelling in either the headlamp itself or self levelling suspension, and headlamp wash, (not sure why h/l wash is a legal requirement though), perhaps to reduce glare produced when xenon lights are filthy.

Post #71804619th Nov 2010 12:44 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Just be aware that like all such sensors, it will only fire when you're bowling down the motorway and can't do anything about it. By the time you're anywhere you can do something about it, the slope, or the cornering, or the cosmic rays, will have caused it to reset and so you'll forget to top up anyway... Much easier to just top up as part of your weekly checks!

Post #71804719th Nov 2010 12:45 pm
pollafero

The answer to the 'little question' is, after all, a clear 'no'. Took de washer bottle off this morning and no trace of any sensor...Sad
A word of advice to anyone who intends to remove the washer bottle on his D3: be very careful when removing the 2 water hoses from the washer pump: the nipples are very brittle and easily break off, as I sadly experienced... Mad
Post #71848420th Nov 2010 2:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >