Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Warranty work at 2 1/2 years
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Warranty work at 2 1/2 years

Just for general information, the following warranty work is being carried out on my car today by TH White, Wootten Bassett.

1. Automatic reverse gear mirror dip failing to return.
I had this issue when the car was new, and at that time the fix was a replacement drivers seat module, which worked perfectly. It's now started happening again though - when the car returns from reverse dip of the mirrors it fails to return to the memory position. Recycling the ignition or pressing the memory number on the seat cures the problem.
Apparently there's a TSB about this and I'm getting yet another new module.
2. Transmission whine
Unable to re-produce. It's intermittent in intensity so I'm not surprised. When I had the car I had zero whine from the transmission, and now I can hear a constant (but very quiet) whine. Every now and again it gets radio volume turning loud for a few hundred yards, then drops back again. If they can't find it then I guess I'm stuffed until it goes seriously wrong. Interesting point is that I cannot hear this whine when in low range.
3. Oil in servo vacuum pipe
Tech says that the oil hasn't reached the servo and hence just a vacuum pump is required. Is there any way I can validate the servo is clean? Will it have been contaminated by oil vapour?
4. TMC locking onto non TMC channels
This issue still keeps repeating itself and so I lose TMC even when (for investigation purposes only!) listening to the Classic FM on the radio. The radio doesn't drop out but the TMC heads off and tries to retune to another channel then stays there. LandRover have no clue as to why or how to fix it.
5. Clunk from front suspension.
They can't find it, possibly because it only happens when dry (and that's rare in Swindon Sad ). Tech has said he'll be following a tech advisory on attempting to recreate the issue and find anything wrong which involves sideways stressing/twisting of components by creating a cross axle effect on the ramp. Most common occurrence for me is when turning left at a junction that I just stopped at. Clunk arrives as I accelerate around the corner.

I'll update regarding the final results of the work, but initially just want to say what a great service team they have there; polite and yet speedily efficient and with a listening ear and a determination to be really helpful.
5 out of 5 for the service reception Smile
Also the tech looking after my car has been very helpful and informative and has kept me up to date with what's happening and also had in depth discussions about the issues reported.
5 out of 5 there too Smile

Edit : Forgot to say; the niggly nature of some of the above shows how few real issues I've had with the car. It's magic Mr. Green
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #47314328th May 2009 11:00 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

With the servo issue, I would just ask them to put it in writing in case the brakes fail later on. Wink
Since it is brakes i think they may cahnge their mind.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47318328th May 2009 12:06 pm
stapldm

Re: Warranty work at 2 1/2 years

Thanks caverD3, It is all in my file and this forum is a further memorandum of that fact Smile

OK, the results
1. Automatic reverse gear mirror dip failing to return
New module fitted. When I picked the car up for the test drive I pressed "1" and then nearly broke my neck getting in; I'd forgotten it needed reprogramming...
Thud
2. Transmission whine
Unable to re-produce. Not surprised as it's so intermittent. C'est la vie.
3. Oil in servo vacuum pipe
New pump fitted. Braking efficiency is WAY better than it was.
Latest and greatest software downloaded into SatNav and radio. Time will tell.
They can't find it, and on the test drive I was also unable to reproduce. I guess the extreme workout they used to look for it eased something up.

Comment. The engine is WAYYYYY quieter than it was, with most of the old TDV6 rattle gone that I'd thought was just the more aggressive fuel components used in MY07 for Euro4 specification. I'll keep an open mind for a few weeks in case they threw in a Forte fuel treatment or something whilst they were at it, but could it really have been the vacuum pump making that racket?

Finally, Oh my word. They sent some brave souls into my kiddie produced litter mine-field with a vacuum cleaner. After an excellent full valet the car actually looks ready to sell; what a great service guys Thumbs Up

TH White, you have earned Five Stars Bow down
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Post #47371529th May 2009 2:00 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Mine is also currently in the dealer having it's 2.5 year shakedown before the warranty runs out....

A few common faults with yours:

stapldm wrote:

2. Transmission whine
Unable to re-produce. Not surprised as it's so intermittent. C'est la vie.

They've been unable to hear it twice now.....at least this time they think they can 'possibly hear something guv'...we'll see what they say this afternoon.

I'm convinced it's the front diff....I can notice it more when deccelerating and at low speeds....can't really hear it at speeds over the tyre noise. As per your problem - mine has got progressively worse over the last year.

stapldm wrote:

They can't find it, and on the test drive I was also unable to reproduce. I guess the extreme workout they used to look for it eased something up.

At first they couldn't detect anything.....I then grabbed the front wheel arch and bounced the D3 up and down - it squeeled like a pig and they agreed to look at it again...

They've now changed the front ARB bushes and fitted the 'rubber shim' fix to each suspension bushing. Thumbs Up

More things:

- Drivers seat (manual) base has been changed yet again as it keeps sinking - this time for one with electrical height adjustment

- Front seat base covers have been replaced due to creasing

- The steering wheel stiffness and vibration that I've been complaining about for 1 year has been attributed to a knackered power steering pump which is obviously out of stock - it should last until they get a new one in....

I'm currently enjoying a filthy dirty 10 year old Rover 620 that they've given me as a courtesy car. It only took 4 months of waiting for them to make it available to me. Thud

I'm also having a service done and they always chuck a can of Forte in the fuel during the service too Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #47372929th May 2009 2:35 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

stapldm wrote:
Latest and greatest software downloaded into SatNav and radio. Time will tell.
I have this same issue too, have always put it down to the TMC signal from Classic FM not being strong enough (especially during the high sunspot activity a while back) to lock on to and it eventually giving up and locking on any strong signal as the stations it ends up on seem to always be local ones. Let us know if yours improves

I'm also a member if the intermittent transmission whine club Thumbs Up Mine seems to manifest itself predominately when coasting/engine braking and is accompanied by a very slight vibration Confused
 The End  
Post #47384429th May 2009 7:16 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Slimer wrote:
Mine seems to manifest itself predominately when coasting/engine braking and is accompanied by a very slight vibration Confused

That'll be the one......

I've also noticed a vibration, but have always put that part down to the power steering pump....

What is your opinion Si? Front diff? Or do you have another idea?
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #47385329th May 2009 7:36 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

TBH I've not put much thought into it, diff sounds reasonable or even prop possibly (though only say that because I had something similar on a D1 years ago that turned out to be a loose prop). I keep meaning to swap my MTRs for my road wheels (though as I've done the past 32,000 miles on the MTRs I should probably consider them to be road wheels Rolling Eyes ) so I can rule them out and hopefully hear what's going Confused
 The End  
Post #47385729th May 2009 7:49 pm
stapldm

Slimer wrote:
I'm also a member if the intermittent transmission whine club Thumbs Up Mine seems to manifest itself predominately when coasting/engine braking and is accompanied by a very slight vibration Confused

Shocked It's like you've been driving mine!

Sure, I'll post back if the TMC is fixed, thanks for all your info guys Thumbs Up
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #47386629th May 2009 7:57 pm
caverD3

Check your diffs where the shafts enter the housing and look for wet patches that show it has been leaking. Seals break down due to the coating on the diff housing this can result in oil contamination.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47405030th May 2009 3:51 am
stapldm

Just an update on the results from my warranty work.

As I said earlier they performed a full extreme workout of the suspension in search of the clunk. No clunk found then and spookily no re-occurrences since.
Also, absolutely no transmission whine whatsoever since. Not even the quiet version of it. Weird.

I had the vacuum pump replaced due to seal failure and also had the engine management software upgraded to the latest version to fend off the dreaded turbo failure (latest versions of software allegedly exercise the variable vanes more to keep them crud free). One or other of these has resulted in a silent (PRE MY07 style) engine. Sure, it's still a diesel but it's no longer a diesel that sounds like it has loose bolts holding it together.
My tin of loose bolts noise that I had frankly got used to and accepted as part of the MY07 Euro4 changes is no more. At all. Nada, niet, nothing. Engine is MUCH quieter and so I'm even more surprised I can hear no whine. Or clunk. I'm going to have to chalk that up as a win to the dealers Laughing

Finally, Satnav and radio head unit software updated to latest to try and resolve TMC issues. Here I am several weeks later, and having driven through the blackspots that would normally cause the loss of station lock and it's still looking good. Chalk another one up to the dealer? Maybe too early to tell but I'm waiting with baited breath for a long trip up North to really see how it behaves as we leave Classic FM behind.

All in all a very successful visit!

I just wish I knew whether my tin of bolts noise going away was due to the replacement of the pump or the software upgrade (MPG appears to be marginally down, but we're talking low single digit change).

In the recent heat (don't start cousins from Down Under, I know it's not really hot weather, I've been to Texas in 45C+ Wink ) I did have a couple of "Special Programs Unavailable" and "Range change unavailable" messages but these have gone away again. Not sure if that's my corroded plug to the drive line ECU playing up again or not. Time will tell.

So, Was the whine the vacuum pump? Was the engine rattle the vacuum pump? Did the software upgrade finally cure my TMC issues? All these questions and more will be answered in next weeks episode of Soap!
Laughing I'll report back if anything interesting develops.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #48458120th Jun 2009 9:16 pm
caverD3

I had the turbo software upgrade and the transmission software upgrade done and noticed an improvement in fuel consumption too. Thumbs Up
Also better from take off too.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #48467421st Jun 2009 2:49 am
stapldm

Further update.

TMC software upgrade. Station loss issue now appears fixed! Have travelled a thousand miles and witnessed the dreaded TMC with a red line through it several times...except instead of locking onto another station and forgetting to search again, it now finds the TMC channel again all by itself Thumbs Up

Noisy injectors silenced by latest ECU software. I went the whole hog and tried the car on the fuels that used to make the issue noisiest.
Asda and Esso fuels no longer sound like a shivering gorilla holding a steel drum with loose bolts in. Bliss!

I've also noted the following. Quicker and smoother power delivery from stationary. Nice! But quirky observation is that the use of Shell Ultimate Diesel caused an apparent drop in economy Question Exclamation Question

Now I work from home, I'm only driving the school run at the moment, so little chance for mixed driving, but I'm getting 28.8 MPG (avg speed 25MPH) which aint bad considering the number of roundabouts round here, and the frequent need for timely pulling out into traffic Whistle

On a rare 250 mile round trip I recorded 34MPG (avg speed 66MPH). Figures are from the trip computer; I don't yet know if the trip computer accuracy has been improved.

Finally, I've noted that command-first is now a better launch option than sand mode. It pulls very hard and changes gear at red-line, like an aggressive sport mode. The power delivery seems smoother to me than sand mode and it feels easier to anticipate/react when tyres loose traction. The only proviso is that once it hits fourth, it seems to stray beyond what I consider the redline (4200RPM in my head; don't know what the real value is as I don't recall seeing it anywhere).
A further observation is that with pedal to the metal, the acceleration in D feels the same as pedal to the metal in command-second,...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #49655416th Jul 2009 7:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >