Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Warranty Question - Door Electrical Harness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PerthDisco

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Warranty Question - Door Electrical Harness

Had D3 in for 3 year end of warranty service today.

The car is running fine but I have the front end knock / clunk issue I asked them to very thoroughly check while under warranty (having read about this and the associated check & replace bushes fix).

Almost as an afterthought I showed the service guy a cosmetic issue where the drivers door electrical harness exits the body (seen when the drivers door is open). There is a rubber boot that fits over the plastic fitting where all the wires come through the body. This rubber boot then carries the wires to the door. On my car the boot and plastic fitting have separated and you can't get the boot to properly fit back on. In reality the plastic fitting has also come loose from the car - it would seem the wires do not have enough slack and have tugged the fitting out when the door is opened wide. It's all a bit open to the weather when it is apart.

I thought it would take a bit of fiddling but would all go back together. Access is a bit hard given the gap is not that wide when the door is open. Turns out to fix it they need to order complete new wiring harness for the door that includes the plastic part in question. Work to be done under warranty but two days need to replace and involves a fairly extensive removal of the dash from what I can gather Shocked .

Has anyone come across this issue before? I did not think I would ever say it but is it worth bothering about. One small problem could end up in a myriad of other post fix rattles & looseness?

On the front end knock / clunck the 'steering lock stops' were deemed to be dry and were lubed as a possible fix. I was told to test that and bring it back if problem persists. I don't think it has done the trick.

I did say that I was dissapointed with the steering wheel deterioration and ended up with a brand new smooth model which was very nice - well done LR Thumbs Up

Any thoughts / comments from the brainstrust appreciated.

Post #70261912th Oct 2010 1:04 pm
PerthDisco

Any thoughts / comments on this one??

Post #70336914th Oct 2010 10:42 am
catweasel

Re: Warranty Question - Door Electrical Harness

PerthDisco wrote:
On my car the boot and plastic fitting have separated and you can't get the boot to properly fit back on.
not 100% sure why the harness inside needs replacing but have a look at this post and seperate the door harness from the body and then see if you can refit the rubber boot
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic35133.html?highlight=

Post #70337514th Oct 2010 10:57 am
PerthDisco

Thank you. That is very useful information and very different to how it was explained.

Post #70377915th Oct 2010 6:08 am
top-tech

United Kingdom 

as for the door harness--- no need to take the dashboard apart,sounds like they are leading you up the garden path!!! if the 4 securing lugs are broken on the a-pillar connector then a new door harness is required. the way you have to fit it takes 2 people and the door has to be lifted off its hinges(2x8mm bolts removed) and check strap unbolted,lift off the door and now remove the rubber boot off the connector and lift up the locking tab(tab above the wiring) remover the connector from the a-pillar and now seperate the connector by turning the 2 lock tabs either side of the connector---door removed. on refitment you have to have lock the 2 looms together and have the rubber boot fitted on the plastic connector with the lock tab up,fit both connectors into the pillar and push down the lock tab through the rubber boot,connect the check strap-job done
as for your front knock,could be ARB requires packer kit,lower arm ball joints,track rod ends,track arm ball joints or even lower steering column all are kn own sources for front end knock. 8) 8)

Post #70482117th Oct 2010 11:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >