Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Warranty loss on suspension modification
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
krisstrue

Poland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Warranty loss on suspension modification

Please find my 'sad' story below - looking forward to any comments if I have any chance to argue this decision or is this a clear case for the service and no chance for me:

I bought my Disco 3 second hand in Germany almost 2 years ago. Car was one year old, it was checked by my local LR dealer in Poland with a very positive feedback that all is OK, warranty is valid till Feb 2008, etc, etc. No problem since then, but as my warranty end within the next 3 months I decided to fix some 'minor' issues: steering column knock (standard problem described here as well) + some minor front and rear suspension knocks. And then the shocker came - the service told me car has distances installedon both front and rear which voids a warranty on a suspension. So any of the above repairs if I want them done I need to PAY! (Including a 'standard' steering knock). They also said that some adjusting screws are stuck which happens often at Disco 3 and as a result they need to cut some pieces of front suspension and replace them (sorry, my English is not good enough to explain exactly what they meant) and again as distances void the warranty I would need to pay for this.

Distances were there since I bought the car (even mentioned in the german registration document) and nobody ever commented that they could bring me problems with warranty also in case of usual issues! Do I stand any chance to have the steering column + those stuck adjusting screws replaced under warranty or am I doomed and should expect to face those massive costs for the repair!?

Any advice welcomed!

Post #2312306th Dec 2007 5:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I take it that they are saying that the Park Distance Control (PDC) sensors are voiding the warranty ? Do you know if the PDC was originally fitted by Land Rover or a 3rd party ? I would suggest that even if the PDC are fitted by a 3rd party, the dealer will have to prove to you that the PDC has impacted on other warrantable systems such as the suspension in this case.

It sounds to me that they are trying to pull a fast one ...at your expense Sad
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #2312646th Dec 2007 6:35 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

.... Shocked

that seems almost as silly as saying that as my tyres are not the original ones and weren't fitted by the factory my warranty is void........
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #2312666th Dec 2007 6:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Unless by 'distances' he means either wheel spacers, or non standard suspension sensor rods or something?

Post #2312706th Dec 2007 6:42 pm
SPOTTER

quite happy to get some Polish translated if that helps?
Post #2312736th Dec 2007 6:44 pm
krisstrue

No, not PDCs! By "distances" I meant a 'sleeve' or 'ring' installed 'under' each wheel which makes distance between wheels a bit wider.

Post #2312746th Dec 2007 6:44 pm
SPOTTER

aha, Gareth was right
Post #2312756th Dec 2007 6:46 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Spacers!

Well, to be honest they have a point. However, if they did not point this out to you when they inspected it, then you also have a point!

However, who the ultimate responsibility lies with could be complex. Did the dealer charge you for inspecting and approving your vehicle? if so, then you have a case. If they did it as a favour, then I don't think they can be held responsible.

I would take the spacers off, and go to another dealer Wink

Post #2312806th Dec 2007 6:48 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

krisstrue wrote:
No, not PDCs!

Shocked Embarassed Sorry Big Cry
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #2312836th Dec 2007 6:50 pm
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

Gareth wrote:
I would take the spacers off, and go to another dealer Wink

But would he still be able to run on the wheels that he has if he takes out the spacers? Are they LR wheels or even wheels that are suitable for a D3?
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #2313126th Dec 2007 8:03 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Looking at his gallery, he's got 19" MTR's, so should be ok without spacers. The only reason I can think to fit spacers is for providing clearence for snow chains. Because he lives in Poland, this could be why the car had spacers fitted?

Post #2313256th Dec 2007 8:26 pm
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Like Gareth , removed the spacers and go to another dealer Thumbs Up

Post #2313296th Dec 2007 8:35 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

Quote:
Distances were there since I bought the car (even mentioned in the german registration document)

But does that mean effectively the car MUST have them fitted, German motoring/vehicle law is quite complicated I understand....
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #2313306th Dec 2007 8:42 pm
krisstrue

Thank you for all those response. To clarify:

1. I bought a car in Germany and it had spacers fitted - why? No idea? I do not need them at all...
2. Spacers were mentioned in German documents, but not in Polish ones so no problem to remove them.
3. LR service refused to take them off - they said it is to complicated and they risk doing some damage!?

I will probably go to local 'hard core' LR workshop and see what they can offer - may be they will manage to release the stuck screws or remove spacers and I will go back to the 'official' workshop for warranty repair again...

Post #2313406th Dec 2007 8:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >