Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

All warning lights - baffled now what to do next?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Snorky79

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
All warning lights - baffled now what to do next?

Hi,

So I've searched and searched to try and rectify this myself. Car is a 2006 Disco 3.

Symptoms: Driving home one evening and all warning lights appeared. (No HDC, Gearbox Fault, No Special Programs, Temp gauge set to high, No revs) showing Big Letter E on instrument cluster.

I switched off and was able to restart but with all warning still present.

I got the car home eventually, this is what I did to try and diagnose issue: (While doing these I was constantly disconnecting and reconnecting battery and completing hard resets.)

- Tested battery, showing 11.6v (switched off), charged battery
- Tested battery again, showing 12.5v (switched off), managed to start car, measured and showed 14.5 but fluctuated up and down between 14.3 - 14.7.
- Decided to replace battery with a new, fully charged - switched on and was able to start the car, drive and then all the errors came on then off and then back on again. Mileage was not recording while it was driving. This was the last time it started. Instrument cluster would either show letter E or occasionally letter F.

- Replaced brake pedal switch under the dash, tried to start, not able to - all errors showing and hazards on, could not start vehicle.
- Found Transmission Control Module, checked connections, cleaned (not really corroded). Car still wont start.
- Disconnected the noise suppression capacitor (located on auto gearbox) - car wont start all errors showing
- Checked brake lights and side lights, all working
- Checked fuse in engine compartment, removed and cleaned

Weird findings:
- Checked rear compartment cubby hole and found the main power supply to towing electrics had blown, replaced, blew again.
- Checked reverse lights - no reverse lights but bulbs all working

The car is now with a garage but they are showing several no communication errors coming up.

I'm now at a loss at what it could be and what could be causing the main fuse to blow in the rear and not having reverse lights.

From what I could see on the rear electrics and plugs they all seemed in good order with no chaffing or visible wires.

Some have suggested the Instrument Panel could be faulty or the Transmission Control Module has gone.

Can anyone else help?

Post #193067627th Mar 2018 11:20 am
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Fault codes would probably assist in diagnosing the problem.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #193067927th Mar 2018 11:29 am
Snorky79

Yeah I don't have these right now.

When it was first plugged in, the errors were all logged back in 2015 and nothing which was new.

I'll try and see what the garage gets now and update once I know.

Post #193068527th Mar 2018 11:38 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

The tow electric fuse blowing. Does the fuse go pop the moment ignition is on? When you turn on side lights? When you put brake lights on? When you select reverse? Once you've established which circuit is causing the excessive current/short you are closer to narrowing it down.

Not on my D3, but on another car it turned out the number plate light and the wire to the tailgate release solenoid had become pinched together. Whenever I turned on the lights it attempted to energise the solenoid, but there wasn't enough grunt in the wiring to fully actuate it. It was, however, enough to blow the fuse.

Once you narrow down what circuit triggers the fuse failure you can then see if the circuit holds for a few seconds or if it's instant. Instant tends to point to dead short, whereas slow burn points to a short onto another feed wire increasing the load.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #193069427th Mar 2018 11:53 am
Snorky79

@nodo$h

Thanks, yeah the fuse was blowing once the ignition was switched on, nothing else i.e. lights/reverse etc.

I think that's the least of my worries for now, unless this is causing the melt down of the faults and error lights.

Head in hands moment, seriously don't want to give up on the car as I love them, but this has been a money pit from day one!

Post #193069527th Mar 2018 11:57 am
Dillon

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

This is guess work to do with as you see fit ! The alternator over charging can and does produce some very strange circumstances may be worth getting it checked.

Post #193072027th Mar 2018 1:00 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My thoughts are the alternator. Thumbs Up
Once the fuse has blown that circuit is isolated and shouldn't cause any further problems, but if it includes the brake lights will.
The towing loom comes in two halves, I believe the connector is behind the near side rear lamp cluster, this may help to locate that fault, also the cable runs very close the the swinging damper weights.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #193072527th Mar 2018 1:25 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Snorky79 wrote:
@nodo$h

Thanks, yeah the fuse was blowing once the ignition was switched on, nothing else i.e. lights/reverse etc.

I think that's the least of my worries for now, unless this is causing the melt down of the faults and error lights.

Head in hands moment, seriously don't want to give up on the car as I love them, but this has been a money pit from day one!

So next check is to unplug the towbar wiring and check which of the feed wires go "live" with ignition on. Don't assume based on function/design - you need to see which one(s) is(are) actually live at ignition.

I'm anticipating you're going to see live feeds that shouldn't be there on ignition only - which will point towards a problem in the wiring loom heading to the NSR - most likely one or several failed crimps in the loom in the sill next to the front passenger seat.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #193073927th Mar 2018 1:59 pm
Snorky79

Thanks for the pointers.

If the Alternator has failed, how would this impact starting the car? Not disagreeing, just trying to figure it out to help the garage out.

The symptoms are when trying to start: Hazards on, locks locking/unlocking all faults showing on cluster.

Ref the short and the reverse lights, could this be impacted by the alternator if there isn't a short on the wiring?

Post #193074127th Mar 2018 2:01 pm
Skynet

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

With the tow connectors, if you have both N & S, there is a permanent live which had a tendency to melt the connector to the earth pin next to it as well as a switched ignition live which operated via a relay close to the tow fuse block in the rear nearside panel (where the tow hook would be stowed). A Haynes manual shows it quite well and a trailer wiring diagram helps with routing and supply.

On the grey socket, I think the permanent live fed a caravan battery and the switched live fed the caravan fridge.
 Dave
D3 2006 HSE, Cairns Blue - gone
D4 2016 SE, White

Wessex 4x4 Response
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk/ 

Post #193074527th Mar 2018 2:17 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: All warning lights - baffled now what to do next?

Snorky79 wrote:
Hi,

- Decided to replace battery with a new, fully charged - switched on and was able to start the car, drive and then all the errors came on then off and then back on again. Mileage was not recording while it was driving. This was the last time it started. Instrument cluster would either show letter E or occasionally letter F.

Can anyone else help?

As you have changed the battery, you need to make sure terminals are clean and tight. Next I would check the earth connections.

On the towbar bit - fuses are in LH rear corner so you can pull all fuses for testing purposes, note what values go where.

Post #19322181st Apr 2018 6:54 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My money is on the alternator.
Battery initially below 12v, you posted 11.6v, indicates it's not receiving adequate charge or is kaput.
Alternator current swinging around is another clue.

Good luck with it. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #19322651st Apr 2018 8:53 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

On the other hand, central locking and hazard warning lights flashing can indicate cjb or can bus issues.

Post #19322691st Apr 2018 8:57 am
Snorky79

Outcome

The fault was traced to a wiring fault on the Handbrake Control Module. Took 6 hours of diagnostics to trace the issue which I believe was a simple solder. Shocked

Thanks for all the tips.

Post #19512006th Jun 2018 11:19 am
TyphoonDisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Snorky.

Can I ask who you took the car to and who got to the bottom of the fault. I'm trying to track down an electrical issue with my 2009 Discovery and I'd like the details of someone who knows the electrics inside out.

Thanks.

Jamie

Post #221705212th Mar 2021 7:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >