Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Warning bing - no faults!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Shealesy

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the replies, trip complete in the diesel-sipping insignia (with luggage strewn across the back seat, and a sore leg). One tank damn near made it both ways! I do like that car, but my Censored is a bit wide for the mildly sporty seats and gives me a dead leg on a long trip. And the boot is deceptively small for an estate!

Globetrotter448 - I’ve got no idea when the gearbox oil was last done, but I will traipse through the invoice mountain and if I can’t find any evidence I’ll get that ordered and changed. Do you think a low gearbox oil level could trigger a temperature dependant irritation? Solid idea though. Definitely one to look into Thumbs Up

M3DPO - Before I changed the washer bottle I’d have the low fluid level come on within a few minutes of filling it up, since changing it and cleaning up the sensor etc I’ve not seen the low fluid warning (unsurprisingly, what goes in there, 8l or so? That’d get me most of the way through winter!)

The bing can happen at any speed from stationary to the heady heights of 65mph (can’t get much more speed up on the local roads before a bend appears). The only thing that has changed is initially, it was always as the revs dropped below 1750rpm and now it can happen anywhere up to 1750rpm including with my foot hard down and the revs climbing gently because I’m on a hill and haven’t changed down…

It is mostly just an annoyance. I’m not sure if the minor diesel leak is related (I imagine it is), but the orings I bought to replace the fuel returns from the injectors seems a touch loose on the connectors. So I need to find the proper ones.

Before I went away I changed the oil and filter, have yet to take it for a run. I put 5.5l in, seems to be sitting between minimum and halfway after running it for a few minutes. I’ll get a short run out in it tomorrow and see what’s occurring, top it up if I need to.
 D3 HSE - MY05 - Java black
Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer
GAP IIDBT G3
2x Colliewobbles and a Kelpie 

Post #224702117th Aug 2021 1:23 pm
Rob698

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have you checked the voltage of your battery and alternator. Mine started to do this and then the alternator failed.

Post #224736519th Aug 2021 5:42 pm
Shealesy

Oh heck!

How accurate do we regard the voltages on a diagnostic readout on a D3? I can get the multimeter on it too, but flicking through live data the voltages never jumped out at me as being a bit squint. I will get the multimeter on it in the morning though!

That’s a new thing I haven’t checked yet and I remember reading how sensitive they are to voltage. It always turns over very fast and strong and 9 times out of 10 starts well (the other one takes a couple of extra turns) so suspect the battery is ok, but I never use it for a short trip (see comment about nowhere being nearby) so even a slightly duff alternator would stand a good chance of charging the battery sufficiently for the next start.
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #224736819th Aug 2021 5:59 pm
Shealesy

Stone cold before start battery voltage - 12.3v (been sitting for 2 or 3 days)
Running just after start voltage - 14.95v
Voltage (engine off) after a couple of minutes running - 13.02v

Will check again after a wee journey later but I reckon that all looks healthy to me Crying or Very sad
GAP IIDBT G3

Last edited by Shealesy on 20th Aug 2021 10:17 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #224744420th Aug 2021 8:20 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That looks like typical voltages

Post #224744520th Aug 2021 8:22 am
Shealesy

That’s what I thought. Could the alternator become less effective or more broken as it gets warm/hot in the engine bay? I’ll take the diag and the multimeter with me later. Got a few runs out to go on so should be able to trigger the noise somewhere on the road.
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #224745120th Aug 2021 9:07 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I guess 13v could be considered on the low side for these ?

Whether a bong without any symptoms would cause me to change it, I doubt it.

Post #224745220th Aug 2021 9:18 am
Shealesy

13v was battery voltage with engine off again, I’ve edited the post to clarify that.

Thanks everyone for the input so far! Still hoping somebody wonders there way to a solution Thumbs Up
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #224746020th Aug 2021 10:20 am
Shealesy

Thinking out loud here after many hours reading posts, could my turbo actuator rod get sticky/stiff when hot?
I read on another post about a raft of ESFs and warning bings, just wondering if mine could be just verging on the border for throwing an ESF but not quite out of tolerance enough to throw the code. Thoughts anyone?
It’s on my to do list, I just haven’t been in there yet to do it.
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #224820825th Aug 2021 12:01 pm
BradC

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

I had this happen for months, and I'm sorry but I can't remember what it was specifically as it was a few years ago now.

There are a number of hardwired inputs into the dash :
- Brake pad wear
- Brake fluid level
- Washer fluid level
- Coolant Level
- Oil pressure

From memory all of those trigger warnings and none of those log faults. I remember having my wife drive for weeks while I watched the dash waiting for it to happen, and when it did happen seeing the briefest flicker of the warning lamp. So on long enough to spot (just) but not long enough to trigger the dash warning message.

My gut says it was an oil pressure warning at idle after a hard and hot run, but I don't recall the cause or fix.

Post #224854127th Aug 2021 3:29 am
munst

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I know from personal experience that washer fluid and coolant warnings do not cause the bong. You just get the dash message.

Post #224854827th Aug 2021 6:07 am
Shealesy

BradC - thanks for that. I’ll keep an eye on your hunch in the data next time I go for a run in it, and check all the levels before and after for piece of mind. I still need to get a taller jack and some axle stands that I trust holding this thing before I pop a wheel, then I’ll have a look at pads.

Munst - Also my experience of washer level, having had to replace the bottle when I first got it. Will keep an eye on coolant though as that also ties in with BradC.
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #224859327th Aug 2021 12:02 pm
Shealesy

Also to add to this, yesterday on a couple of hours long drive the bing has moved. It’s now distinctly between 1750rpm and 2000rpm. At least I can finally get into 6th gear without it shouting about the unknown fault!
Still feels a little sluggish below 2krpm so I still have suspicions about the turbo actuator. No whooshing noises and plenty power above so I think hoses are ok, but I have a set in my basket on one of the online stores waiting. It could also be the sheer weight of the thing and I’m just not used to it yet!

Also now routinely getting a suspension fault after about 25 minutes, C1130-66, which may or may not be related, I could be barking up the wrong ECU. I think it’s wiring. Pumped up to off road height a few days ago, pulled the fuse and it stayed there for a couple of days, dropped 2mm all round over 60 hours or so. Out for a run yesterday, parked up in normal height and within a couple of hours it had sat down quite a way. Beyond access mode. Might start a separate thread for that one later.
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #224859427th Aug 2021 12:09 pm
BradC

The C1130-66 is something leaking back into the gallery. The gallery gets to 5 bar and vents back down to 2.x bar. If this repeats ~10 times then you get that fault. Mine currently takes about 2 hours 45 minutes to do it (it's taking about 14 minutes to leak up to 5 bar). On mine it's looking like the reservoir control valve leaking. I have a repair kit in transit to rebuild the valve blocks.

Post #224860227th Aug 2021 1:04 pm
BradC

munst wrote:
I know from personal experience that washer fluid and coolant warnings do not cause the bong. You just get the dash message.

Huh, whereas mine *does* bong for the coolant warning. Different configs probably.

Post #224860327th Aug 2021 1:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >