Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Wanting an honest opinion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Chancer

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Wanting an honest opinion

This year I'm looking to replace my 02 Vauxhall Astra (no laughing please) with a bigger better car, top of my list is the Discovery 3.
I've now test driven the D3, on and off road, and am pleased to say I'm totally hooked. I'm a tall guy and the D3 is the first car I have driven in a long time that I felt totally comfortable in.

I do have a couple of concerns though. I intend to buy a used D3, but I will still be pushing myself financially and having read some of the forums on this and other sites I'm concernd that I'm going to spend a lot of money on a less than reliable car.

I would really like to hear some honest opinions on what they are like to live with to help me decide what I'm going to do.

Thanks

Post #13179421st Feb 2007 10:24 am
Jamo

Australia 

I've found my D3 very reliable.

I've had the odd issue, but LR has come to the party every time. I've never had to fight for warranty work.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #13179921st Feb 2007 10:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Don't mistake the disco 1 and 2 problems with the disco 3, its like comparing skoda pre-VW to post-VW entirely different animals

just make sure you have a decent LR warranty and that all the updates have been done (easily checked by a dealer)

Discovery 3 .......you will NOT be disappointed!! Thumbs Up
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #13180021st Feb 2007 10:44 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

go for it, I blew my car buying budget to get my 05 54 plater by nearly double. (2 months ago)

The car is brilliant at everything. Just make sure you get one that has been looked after and then continue to look after it. Shop around as well, some dealers can be more competitive than the independants / private.

I am slightly biased though as I was already a Land Rover Fan.

I see no reason that it shoudl be any worse than any other complicated car, I certianly don't expect mine to let me down, occassional niggles yes, but let me down no. (No wood to touch, sitting at laminate coated desk Rolling Eyes )

Have fun

Thumbs Up S
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #13180221st Feb 2007 10:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think it depends on how old the used D3 is. If it is still under warranty then you should not worry as you have Land Rover Assist who loan you nice cars if yours fails out on the road. I would consider then the extended warranty (for an extra year) is about £800 with LR. Whilst it is a lot to shell out, and you may never need it, as you may have seen from the posts, there can be issues whic may be expensive. On the other hand, there are a lot of people on the forum who have had very reliable vehicles & have not needed to use the warranty.

All cars have problems and all problems are expensive to sort out when you are outside warranty. ( I had £1,000 of gearbox problems on SWMBO's Scenic recently) I think that with this forum, you are exposed to the 'warts & all' issues that are there, whereas if you are looking at spending this kind of money on any brand, you are likely to face some issues outside of warrtny. Or you may not face any issues at all. It is a risk worth considering, but if you choose a D3, at least you know you have 2,000 other owners on this forum who are willing and able to provide advice and support on any issues. I haven't found anything similar for my Merc or SWMBO's Renault Scenic (at least not with this much enthusiasm).

Provided you do your homework on the vehicle you are buying, if from a main dealer, make sure that he latest software and TSB's have been carried out (I'm sure someone else can list the relevant critical TSB's to be applied) then you should have some very happy motoring.

Good luck in your quest, but if you do make the D3 commitment, then you'll have to be prepared for the permagrin as soon as you step in... Smile Oh and there's plenty of safe off road days aropund as well, so don't just keep it on the road Smile Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Last edited by Bodsy on 21st Feb 2007 2:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13180621st Feb 2007 10:54 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

My local dealer is doing good (i.e. better than I got) discounts off 06 model year new & pre-reg cars. Depending on budget, that might be an option. Whatever you do get you will not be dissapointed. Has some warranty issues with both my D3s but they have never failed me & all issues sorted out with dealer reasonably painlessly. They have their quirks (as do all cars probably) but you soon get used to them, though nothing that would put me off getting one again.

Post #13180821st Feb 2007 11:01 am
JMC

Scotland 

Time for a 'reality-check' I think......
chancer wrote:
but I will still be pushing myself financially

D3 is great, but if you are struggling to afford it, don't do it. Shocked

Nothing to do with the reliability of the car, it's life in general that's the problem. I just put my D3 in for its first proper service (15k), though I did get one done at 7.5k. The bill in front of me is over £800. No punches being pulled here, but 4 new tyres on top of a reasonably priced service makes the difference.

If I were on a salary, and struggling to pay a mortgage, and a D3, and I got an £800 bill, then I think I'd be worried. Don't do it mate. The population of this country are in enough trouble and debt. You never know what's round the corner. Neutral

If you are that tall, how about an Astra Convertible Wink Whistle

Post #13181521st Feb 2007 11:08 am
oliver77

Wales 

I agree with JMC. I can't say that my 3 Discovery 3's have been reliable and that's the main reason why I'm leaving the brand but as a machine (when it's working) it is a brilliant bit of kit. It will however eat tyres, drink fuel and cost you an arm and a leg to run and if you're going to own one without LR warranty, don't do it!!!

Post #13183521st Feb 2007 11:36 am
JMC

Scotland 

Think of it another way: My wifes car (Volvo V40 1.9d) costs about as much to run per YEAR as my last service cost. If you add in the cost of going to and from the service with the D3, then it is cheaper for her cars annual running. OK, she only does about 6k miles but

Road Tax = £110
Insurance = £200
Service = £125
Fuel = £450 (50+ mpg)

Nice car too....... Shocked

Mind you, the reason she only does 6k miles in her car is because she is always in my D3 Big Cry

Post #13184221st Feb 2007 11:45 am
SPOTTER

that is a good point JMC, I did say you will have to look after it.....and that is unfortunately quite expensive compared to a simpler, more numerous vehicle....and you should not skimp on safety, for your own sake and others.
Post #13184421st Feb 2007 11:57 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It almost sounds as if some of us are having a Gerald Ratner moment Confused . I'm just waiting for the first person to use the famous word's... 'it's crap' Shocked .

Anyway, despite the doom and gloom of some financial advisors on this thread Wink , only you will know the extent of your finances. It is wise to look beyond the purchase cost and take associated running costs into account, even put some aside each month if you can.

Above all, if you are confident that you can afford it..... then go for it....You'll be a long time dead Wink

The vast majority of historical issues are now resolved...do your homework on the dealership and make sure it's completely up-to-date with the service history.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 21st Feb 2007 10:41 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #13184821st Feb 2007 12:05 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

FWIW

I love mine when I'm in it, and I love it when I'm not in it! Very Happy

Can't wait to use it for camping. (Easter hopefully)

If you have kids Chancer they will love it too.
 Back in the game!  
Post #13184921st Feb 2007 12:12 pm
SPOTTER

it has to be said I would expect a D3 to play a larger part in your life than an astra ever would........... Very Happy
Post #13185321st Feb 2007 12:31 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

JMC, your tyres had worn out at only 15k?? Mine lasted almost 30K, and only for they wore unevenly I would have got a few thousand more out of them!
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #13185521st Feb 2007 12:35 pm
JMC

Scotland 

bkehoe wrote:
JMC, your tyres had worn out at only 15k??

Actually, it was 17k but who's counting Wink Whistle Whistle Whistle

Post #13186321st Feb 2007 1:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >