Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Wanting an honest opinion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Had to replace mine at roughly 15K due to uneven wear. LR did realignment under warranty. No wear at all on STs after 6000 miles.

BCP

Post #13186421st Feb 2007 1:10 pm
Jamo

Australia 

You guys get ripped off for servicing! I've never paid more than A$600 (240GBP) and most have been around A$300 (120GBP)!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #13186621st Feb 2007 1:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

I am a financial adviser so perhaps I can comment Wink Only you know if you can afford the car, but I don't think that was your question. You seem more concerned about reliability issues than cost. My first D3 had 2 compressors go and an oil seal on the front diff, the car did 26K miles and when I traded in the issues had been resolved. My 06 D3 has now done 16K miles and has not had a single error, I haven't yet replaced any tyres or pads on either car and the current car I would hope to do over 30k miles before I need to consider it.

The astra never had the best reputation, yet have you had any problems? My mother in law has one and hasn't, its on a W plate. You need to remember that forums attract problems; there is a guy on the Fl2 site who has just ordered one having rejected 2 RAV4s (that never have problems), I have 2 clients in the last 12 months have both rejected their Mercs, another has rejected a BMW, a mate has rejected 2 lexus and another an Audi. You might be getting the theme! As cars become more complicated and rely on software more I think you will see more "issues" many of which aren't faults as such but are more akin to a blue screen of death on your PC. You don't chuck it out, you switch it off and start again.

But by buying from a main dealer second hand I don't think you will have any problems.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #13187221st Feb 2007 1:57 pm
dgrr

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Chancer,
Prior to new D3 purchase last May, I had never owned a LR product - most of my previous cars seem to have been German, & none were 4x4s. I can honestly say that, now, I do not envisage ever NOT driving a LR product - the D3 really is that good a car. Perhaps I discovered the LR brand (& Discovery model inparticular) at a good time - the D1 and D2 were, by all accounts, complete dogs. Their image should not be overlooked: too much is made of all the anti-4x4 bulls#@t flying about... in my experience, a D3 does NOT attract the despising glares meeted out to drivers of RRs, RRSs, Grand Cherokees, X5s, Q7s, MLs etc. Perhaps it's the 7 seats? Maybe the "function over form" design?... who knows. As a single guy, they make little sense, but if you have a family (however large), there is no all-round alternative. Furthermore, they will all love it.
Apart from a juddering wiper blade (hardly the end of the world), mine has been totally reliable.
I also don't think they are disproportionately expensive to run, either:
FUEL - sure, they like their fuel, but 25mpg (mixed motoring) for a nearly-3-ton car ain't bad.
INSURANCE - pretty cheap;
DEPRECIATION - not disastrous by any means (nearly 60% residual for any car after 3 yrs isn't bad, let alone a 4x4);
SERVICING - £250/350-odd once a year;
TYRES - £120-150 per corner &, unless you really throw it round bends, should get 20k per set;
To summarize:
YES you will visit the filling station slightly more often than you currently do;
NO you won't win any traffic-light racing starts.

Now stop messing about any longer and go and get it bought. Thumbs Up
 DGRR  
Post #13187621st Feb 2007 2:08 pm
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Well said dgrr.

I'm 13000 miles in - one 12 monthly service(£296) no issues, 26.8mpg average.
To sum it up what other car can hold its own in all these situations: on a building site, outside a greasy spoon cafe, towing a boat/car/caravan/horsebox, carrying 7 people, on a farm, in all weather and still look good parked outside a 5 star hotel? None of these can do all that -

XC90 - too feminine, good for the school run but not very pc these days.
X5 - too drug dealer/service station watch saleman, only 5 seats until recent facelift.
ML - offroader?- only when in the dealers with gearbox issues.
Q7 - aesthetically related to the Fiat Multipla - nuff said!

p.s. forum induced paranoia will disappear with time.

The opinions expressed are that of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the web site owners.
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #13190021st Feb 2007 3:35 pm
Valleyforge

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Well, like any modern large complex car these things are potentially expensive to run. I can't comment on reliability yet - mine's only a couple of months old (& fine) but the jump from a 'small' car to a 'big' car is substantial - mind you I did just the same in my 'nipper' years when I bought my first proper car, a year old Citroen CX. Wonderful but pricey to run - strange to say there are uncanny similarities with the D3 (+35 years) with its quirkiness & character. So - old fogey's comment is 'If you really really want it, just buy it & enjoy the experience'. But 'If you are liable to worry about petty things like cashflow , depreciation & bill paying then don't'.

Down to state of mind you see ... Twisted Evil

But the D3 is a seriously great motor.... Smile

Post #13190721st Feb 2007 3:45 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

dgrr wrote:
Chancer,
NO you won't win any traffic-light racing starts

I often win the traffic light Grand Prix, get it re-mapped or buy a V8 & see for yourself. Still can't bring myself to grow up totally Embarassed Probably not the only one here though Smile .
Actually, most of the time I drive the D3 in a very relaxed fashion, the auto. box & air suspension give it a limo style ride.
I was very impressed by the steering feel & handling of the D3 (19" Pirelli tyres make a difference), so much better than I'd expected. So good that I use it as my "work" vehicle. 18.5k miles in 11 months, average 27mpg. Only a few minor niggles that were fixed quickly by my dealer. Most useful vehicle I've ever owned, will replace it with another.

Post #13191221st Feb 2007 4:16 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I owned a Toyota Landcruiser 4.2TDVX for 11 years before I traded it in for my D3. I never spent anything on it other than £160 for an exhaust and £35 for a battery. My Mrs was spitting blood when I bought it, as I drove my company car and the Toyota was for her!
When you look at the use I had of this car, towing a large caravan, off roading, transporting just about anything and taking my family and parents all out together. It was a lifestyle wagon, it did everything you could want a car to do. But it was old and I wanted something that would continue in the same vein but more up to date. I went out looking for a new Toyota, but the dealer didn't have one so offered me the smaller model. Put me right off. I then went to an independant locally who always had a few VX's, but he didn't! He said they're a bit old now, as the model is 10 years old. Why don't you try a Rangie? he asked. So I did, and I loved it, except for the versatility of extra seats. When I got back from the test drive I saw a D3 V8 sitting there in red. Get the keys and lets have a look at this I asked. My Mrs was totally blown away with how well thought out the car interior is. For my growing family it's the mutts nuts. Her reaction to what she saw was all I needed to go and get a newer diesel model from my local LR dealer. The Mrs actually cried when I picked up my D3, due entirely to the huge wrench from the Toyota. It was a special car, but not a patch on the D3, doesn't come anywhere near it for poise and ride or practicality.
You won't be disappointed I promise!
Remap tomorrow too.
Very Happy
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #13192121st Feb 2007 5:16 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

......and...just to prove that the 'ultra reliable' Japanese models are no better when it comes to reliability problems ..read this

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/lo...inder.html
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13192321st Feb 2007 5:19 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Ive found mine totally reliable..

as far as the finances. Be led by your heart and not your brain, go for it.... BUY ONE. Its better to have had one and regret it Very Happy than not had one and regret it Sad

You'll just have to give up other luxuries....
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #13192621st Feb 2007 5:36 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Quote:
NO you won't win any traffic-light racing starts.

You will if you drive on the white line and in Sand Mode Whistle Whistle
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #13192721st Feb 2007 5:39 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

fisherman wrote:
Remap tomorrow too.Very Happy

Thumbs Up

Post #13193421st Feb 2007 6:03 pm
fisherman

Wales 

Thumbs Up
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #13193621st Feb 2007 6:09 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Andy4467 wrote:
outside a greasy spoon cafe, .

That brings back memories (and hunger pangs)!!!! Big Cry Big Cry

Post #13194021st Feb 2007 6:14 pm
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I have had mine for just over a year.
I had a tiny weeny problem with a brake sensor which was sorted under warranty....and that's it!
Mine has been very reliable

As for costs...
Accessories aside, so far, I have had to pay for one service at £296 and four tyres after 21,000 miles at £94 each.
Insurance £653 but I was a naughty boy last year...
My biggest expenditure is fuel...I do 18-20K a year and I am getting 25ish to the gallon

You only live once and if it's the car you want (and/or need a very practical car)...go for it..
I dont know anyone who doesn't stretch themselves...the more you earn, the more you spend...

Post #13195021st Feb 2007 6:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >