Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wtd: Discovery 3/4 Vehicles

[Wanted] 2004/5 Discovery 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Joe Tanner

United Kingdom 
[Wanted] 2004/5 Discovery 3

Hi all new to here, looking for ideally a cheap tax bracket disco 3. With a new baby and 2 kids now boot space is a must with 2 dogs. Will be a work/family vechile so fairly clean and tidy would be ideal woth a tow bar. Would consider a commercial if had the second row seats. Please message me if you think you may have something. South West area I'm based

Post #21588645th Jul 2020 10:07 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, welcome.

I Understand what you are looking for.. and why.
With motors from that age and design, it is important to have a proper budget and/or luck, with Also a proper repair budget ( from 2K On but double or more is not uncommon if a gearbox or engine breaksdown.. the work alone (without replacement parts i mean) will be 2 or 3 days work very quick))
if needed in time. Even if you can do a lot yourself, not everything is easy on these motors regarding spanner space and weight...

Did you read around on this forum? Be sure atleast that you really know what you choose with a newborn to be moved (on time schedule and maybe safe)

They are great motors, love it, BUT with a tight budget for potentially needed repairs as a family MAIN car.... do not do it!!. as a “second” car AND good with spanners yourself and a proper budget, have fun! Like we do!
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21588665th Jul 2020 10:22 am
Joe Tanner

United Kingdom 

Hi thank you for your reply yes can understand all your points. Can do so much myself but any possible viewing of discovery 3 ill take my landrover mechanic with me. I do find woth the disco 3 you hear of all the horror ones but very rare the good ones. One big question is alot are up 200000 miles were these the lucky ones?

Post #21588715th Jul 2020 10:29 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thing is, you never know...

Normally i am as positive as you are... i have a motorcycle repair and tuning shop myself. I used to think that i “know my way around” regarding mechanics and engines, never paid “to much” in 35 years. Did proper research when spending real money, etc. Etc.

The discovery we have now, was a well maintained, fully documented, low milage (100k), only 2 owners motor... made a proper and extensive test drive, looked at “everything” .. only a shudder from the TC, so i knew it needed a new one in time.. but could knock it of the price

100mls later, a spun bearing after 100mls of very good running... knock, from good till knock.. bang split second..

Bottom line, new engine needed... set me back 4500k but i can do really a lot myself in engine prepairing etc. (We spent more, because we were there anyway, but cheaper as 4500 was “not possible” in any case).

What we saw with the body off, the motor/car overall was indeed in very good condition! Except the unforseen Bearing “thing”

Thing is, spun bearings can happen with every milage from 45k till 300k etc... you never know...
You can hope, but do not do it with your last money.... with your offspring in mind...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21588765th Jul 2020 10:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >