DISCO3.CO.UK > General

VW Jetta meets LR3 at 40+ MPH
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
noreserve

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
VW Jetta meets LR3 at 40+ MPH

Hello everyone,

I didn't think this would be my first post, but here goes...

My wife and I just purchased a new 2006 LR3 HSE here in the Atlanta area. We had it only about two weeks until we got rear-ended by a 99 Jetta. We had just picked up one of two kids (5-yr old) from school and were headed out in moderate traffic, dark out, and clear weather. Out of nowhere, we experienced this huge impact and it took a moment to realize that we'd just been hit from behind. After glancing at the wife and kid to make sure they were alright, I turned off of the road as the LR3 still was drivable. I looked back and could see the Jetta in a smoking heap in the road. We all seemed to be ok, so I got out and surveyed the damage on the LR3, thinking that the whole back end must be smashed. I was amazed to find only minor damage in relation to the Jetta. I looked under the LR3 for damage and anything leaking, but there was nothing. The frame wasn't even pushed in at all and still has the gap between it and the spare tire. The Jetta driver was shaken and had some abrasions from the airbag. His car was toast. He said that he just wasn't paying attention. After exchanging information with the police officer, we drove home.

I wasn't able to get any pics that night, as it was dark and I didn't have my regular camera. I did some checking and located where the Jetta was towed. We went there the next day and took some pics. See below.

Apart from some back and neck soreness this past week, we are fine. The LR3 doesn't appear to have any frame damage, but I won't know for sure until it goes into the shop. It still drives fine - straight as an arrow on the highway. The bumper cover, trim pieces, and rear brake light will need replacement. The tailgate will need repair and repainting. This is a testament to the LR3's strength. It truly is built like a tank. Had we been in a smaller vehicle, it would have surely been a different outcome.

Anyhow, here are the links to the pics. I am enjoying the LR3 and this forum. I'll have a write-up on my initial 30 days with the LR3 soon. We're going on an off-road event sponsered by our local dealer on Dec 17th, so that should be fun. I'll wait to get the LR3 in the shop until after then. Smile

https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/i.hubnu...591f28.jpg

https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/i.hubnu...ec278c.jpg

https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/i.hubnu...5ba91a.jpg

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #10902711th Dec 2006 5:15 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

noreserve - I feel your pain but you have to see the funny side of it too. Glad you'll ok and the LR3 is not too badly damaged. The pictures speak for themselves.
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #10903011th Dec 2006 5:23 pm
JMC

Scotland 

LR3: 1 - VW: 0 Thumbs Up

Glad you were all OK, just a shame about your new motor getting a kick up the rear though. Never mind, it's the USA so I'm sure you will sue his ass off...... Wink

Post #10903411th Dec 2006 5:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I would not say 1-0, more like 4- or 5-0 Wink
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #10903611th Dec 2006 5:38 pm
Pelyma

England 

Glad to hear you are all OK, that is why you buy a LR!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #10903811th Dec 2006 5:42 pm
Gazzer

United Kingdom 

Amazing the extent of damage on the Jetta for relatively little damage to the LR. I hope under closer examination there is no major subframe damage, as thiese sort of impacts do exert huge forces that have to go somewhere. Such a shame on a brand new vehicle.

Good luck.

G

Post #10904511th Dec 2006 6:07 pm
noreserve

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'll post an update once I have it in the body shop.

Post #10905911th Dec 2006 7:09 pm
mattlynch

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Similar thing happened to me around 6 months ago, small white van rearended the D3 at some lights.
Result:

White van:-insurance write off!!!
D3:- few scrapes to the bumper.

All that was needed was a new bumper and park distance sensors.

Matt
 Disco 3 TDV6 S (Everyday and laning!)
Series 3 Ex-military Lightweight (Toy!!!)
Smart Roadster (commuting only!) 

Post #10907911th Dec 2006 8:19 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

WoW !

Glad all were OK - especially the little one.

Quite a mess and really drums home the strength of the chassis on the D3.

Post #10909011th Dec 2006 8:50 pm
D'arkuk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm soooooo glad you where all O.K. and thanks for posting, part (a large part) of the reason I bought the D3 is that I have my first (any day now) son on the way. I'm glad we both bought the right car/truck. Thumbs Up
 Brute force and ignorance, the D3 does the rest.  
Post #10909911th Dec 2006 9:09 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Don't forget that top marks should be given to the VW technical bods from Wolfsburg - the deformation of the front of the Jetta absorbed the kinetic energy whilst keeping the passenger cell complete. If he'd been in a VW bug (not the current Golf-based job), it might well have been lower limb amputation or a body bag for the driver.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #10912111th Dec 2006 9:54 pm
noreserve

Good point. I agree. I was impressed that he was able to walk away from that one without any real injuries. Car looks very bad, but took the hit for him. Good thing that the Jetta matched up fairly well with the back of the LR3 and that the car didn't go underneath. I've always been impressed with the body structure of the modern VWs.

DrLex wrote:
Don't forget that top marks should be given to the VW technical bods from Wolfsburg - the deformation of the front of the Jetta absorbed the kinetic energy whilst keeping the passenger cell complete. If he'd been in a VW bug (not the current Golf-based job), it might well have been lower limb amputation or a body bag for the driver.

Post #10914211th Dec 2006 10:28 pm
dlm3

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

LR has been making fairly tough vehicles for some time - my 96 D1 was totaled in an accident involving an F250 Super Duty Crew Cab pickup and a Lexus RX-300. The F250 was the offender - she plowed into the left wing and wheel up to the front door. She pushed me into a Lexus that was minding its own business, which crumpled the front bumper, the bonnet and the entire right wing. The engine was still running fine despite all this abuse.

I was completely unharmed, though the D1 was a crumpled wreck. (it could have been worse -roles could have been reversed had I not swerved such that she hit me in a glancing blow. I would have T-boned her at 30mph had I not done so.)

Never had any regrets with the D1, and hope never to have any with its replacement.

Post #10917312th Dec 2006 4:59 am
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

Glad to hear you are all ok, but remember that you are driving a 2.7ton car, if it will not protect you then better buy a TANK Shocked Shocked
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #10917412th Dec 2006 6:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I'm so glad you all are okay!! Thank you for posting! I've heard how safe the LR3 is but have never (luckily) seen how safe!
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #10917512th Dec 2006 6:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >