Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Veichle Dynamics Module help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Harvoy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Veichle Dynamics Module help

With some help from DiscoDK and Bodsy, I have identifyed that there is a wiring fault with the Vehicle Dynamics Module. It will not communicate at all with the faultmate. There is either a wire damaged or wet that I cannot find.
I cannot clear the adaptive headlight fault either, and have also worked out that the offside front side light is not powering up, (changed bulb and still no life).
The one hub speed sensor I have taken out is slightly scuffed on the bottom, and was full of mud Shocked . I will repeat the full strip down for the other 3 wheels.Not sure if the damage has compromised the sensor though.
Any ideas about where to look for the VDM would be much appreciated :thumbright:
 56 plate Zermatt Silve  
Post #82767521st Aug 2011 8:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The dynamics module is integral to the ABS pump, in the plastic box on the drivers side under the bonnet Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #82773822nd Aug 2011 6:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Harvoy

Cheers DM, I wil check this out when I get home later.

I can't get hold of TFC, the local indy is too busy and The stealer will cap any labour at £500, plus parts.......

Looking like I might be having a bonfire soon.......
 56 plate Zermatt Silve  
Post #82783322nd Aug 2011 12:49 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
VDM

Hi
I dont know if this is any use but I got my faultmate just coincidense I think and used it a few times all of a sudden my VDM unit decided to give up and my car wiped its suspension settings it was like they never exsisted, my car ended up getting this module replaced and the yaw sensor as it was giving sporadic readings after a weeks visit to my LR dealer I finally requested through advice from here to get a reflash done of the vehicles entire build software this miracuously fixed the car but it was done byLR HQ however the tech guy did find some corroded pins in the VDM unit but I dont know if it was the units side ore the connector side
cheers

Post #82828923rd Aug 2011 10:08 pm
Harvoy

Thanks I will look into that.
Big Mac is still not working Sad Sad
 56 plate Zermatt Silve  
Post #82880225th Aug 2011 5:28 pm
anglefire

England 

That's not good Harvoy. Got any further ideas or is it going to have to have a wizard look at it?
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #82882625th Aug 2011 7:04 pm
Harvoy

I don't have enough funds to let a wizard lose on it as it might just take an hour, or more likely 10 or more....... I don't like to be beaten but I am feeling rubbish at the mo, and it has taken me this long just to get all the gravely bits out of the chassis and engine; gawd only knows how long it is going to take me to work through the loom to find the broken wire Sad sorry to be moaning.......
 56 plate Zermatt Silve  
Post #82885225th Aug 2011 8:22 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I 'think' I have a wiring diagram in my toolbox for the Dynamics Module. Will have a look tomorrow and upload it if I do.

Alternatively, buy an hour/day long subscription to Topix/GTR, for wiring diagrams Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #82886425th Aug 2011 8:43 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The Can bus wiring can suffer from many problems.
Physically it's just a pair of twisted wires that run round the vehicle and are tapped into two pins of each ECU, but some ECU's like the EPB and hevac etc have 2 input and 2 output pins.

There are also 2 Can busses on the Disco 3 any form of pin corrosion can cause problems as can a few CM of untwisted wires.

Post #82932727th Aug 2011 6:41 pm
Harvoy

Thanks for the responses guys Smile
I will be under Big Mac for the foreseeable future! Lol
 56 plate Zermatt Silve  
Post #82965529th Aug 2011 10:00 am
Harvoy

I may be onto a possible source of the problem Smile
I was following a suggestion from Bodsy, regarding the headlights, (I have a permanent error with the adapative ECU), I had a close look at the wiring loom for the nearside headlight, (the washer bottle was split when that corner dropped into a deep, water/gravel filled rut). Where the loom passes between a bit of the bodywork and the rear of the light itself there was a definite pinch mark in the cable protection.
Having carefully stripped back the foil/fibre covering, I have found some wires that look to have been slightly damaged in the same place as the pinch mark. There are some undulations visible underneath the insulation. The damaged wires are both black, one of them much thicker than the majority of the other wires in the loom. I cannot see any damage to the twisted pairs of cables, (I assume those are part of the canbus?), but it would not be unreasonable to expect that they also might be damaged?

Would it be ok to cut out the obviuosly damaged sections of wire and join them with a crimped connection?
 56 plate Zermatt Silve  
Post #83004330th Aug 2011 6:31 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

From what you describe these sound like Earthing cables. Damage to these can indeed cause ECU's to shut down and no longer respond.

The CAN bus itself does not require earth as it works on the differential of the two twisted pairs of wires that have a primary yellow couloring.

Have a go at fixing the Earths first and see if that does not fix the comms problem to the ECU,

Post #83369110th Sep 2011 7:19 pm
anglefire

England 

Colin, I reckon, you've been peaking elsewhere, because one of the faults found was indeed earths.

I'm sure Harvoy will be along soon to tell the story, but I suspect he is downing a couple of pints after getting Big Mac back up and working again. Not with out a little help from a faultmate Thumbs Up
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #83371310th Sep 2011 8:27 pm
Harvoy

Yes, indeed it was an earthing problem.
2 earth wires in the nearside headlight loom were damaged when that corner took a bash and squashed the loom between the light itself and the bodywork. Also both nearside speed sensors were damaged by gravel going around the ABS ring.
The faultmate proved invaluable as it enabled me to try a fix and see what codes appeared or disappeared; leading me in the right direction.
Thanks for all the support and advice, it kept me positive and looking in the right places Smile

Regards,
Harvoy
 56 plate Zermatt Silve  
Post #83376011th Sep 2011 12:17 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Just glad to be of help chaps Thumbs Up

Not only in respect of support and advice via the forum, but i guess also in producing the faultmate equipment, you have so admirably demonstrated the benefits of having at your disposal.

But at the end of the day, it was you who did not give up and did all the hard work to finally sus out and sort the problem.

so well done and drinks all round then Whistle

Post #83391411th Sep 2011 5:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >