Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Used LR3 new buyer maintenance questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
er1c

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Used LR3 new buyer maintenance questions

Firstly, from my trolling around here, this seems like a great community. I can't wait to actually become a part of it! So, thank you, everyone!

Now, I just purchased a 2006 LR3 SE with 48k miles. (And lord, I did not realize I'd be getting 10.5 MPG with _conservative_ driving! But, I guess unfortunately you have to pay to play sometimes.) I do use a 30+ MPG Audi 1.8T as my daily driver though.

...This is my first Land Rover and when I purchased my LR3 two weeks ago, I wasn't aware of exactly what I should look for. Ignorance is indeed a sorry excuse!

Flipping through the manual once I took her home, I realized the manual said it was from a 2005MY and it had zero service history records in it. (Which is a bit alarming not knowing a single thing of the previous vehicle service/warranty history.) Am I safe in assuming that since it's a 2005MY manual and the truck is a 2006MY that it's not original?

There's nothing wrong with the LR3 as far as I can tell. But, I'm seeking advice/recommendations as to what maintenance I should do taking new ownership of her? (Do you guys recommend changing the oil drain plug every time I change the oil? I typically change my oil myself every 3000 miles on my vehicles. Is this a good range for the V8 LR3, too? Is there anything I should look out for? What can I expect to go wrong?

My LR3 only came with one key. I've read that I won't be able to purchase a used key and have it programmed. Is this true?

And are there any good DIY resources/guides available? I haven't been able to find any DIY books at all--- am I not looking in the right places or is this strategic on Land Rover's part?

Thanks everyone and I hope your new year is treating you all well!
-Eric

Post #75376029th Jan 2011 5:29 am
lurk

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome er1c.
I can't tell you much about the LR3 - just to say, read the threads - start at one end of the motor and work your way backwards - or however, you like to prioritise.

What I can tell you is the more threads you read the more problem potentials you can find - if your driving make a note of 'potentials you hear' then look up the threads.

I bought my TDV6 2007 plate when it had 4k miles and 6 months old. The first three years were serviced by LR - since then I have:-
- changed brake discs (rotors) pads & sensors all round
- sorted fog lights shorting
- changed rear ARB bushes
- sorted rear door lock
- had problems which remain unresolved with the EGR
next job is to fit new track rod ends & link arms & front ARB bushes
I keep to the LR service schedule - no interim oil changes etc
Ive done 45k miles now.
Lurk
 Why do I have 2 big hands when my D3 maintenance requires small hands and at least three of them ?  
Post #75379329th Jan 2011 10:04 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Used LR3 new buyer maintenance questions

Hi Eric and welcome to the forum and D3 ownership! You will enjoy both I'm sure.

er1c wrote:
I did not realize I'd be getting 10.5 MPG with _conservative_ driving!

hm, there's enough reading material on the forum on this subject.

er1c wrote:
I typically change my oil myself every 3000 miles on my vehicles. Is this a good range for the V8 LR3, too?

The ranges differ a bit, here in the Netherlands dealers recommend 16.000 kms between services and I've never even seen the dipstick myself Embarassed . So 3000 miles is a very short interval if you ask me.

er1c wrote:
My LR3 only came with one key. I've read that I won't be able to purchase a used key and have it programmed. Is this true?

I think you can, you just need to have the key synchronised with the vehicle by a dealer.

er1c wrote:
And are there any good DIY resources/guides available?

There is this forum... My guess is that anything that *can* be done *has* been done by someone here... and all are very generous in sharing their experiences.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #75380529th Jan 2011 10:45 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Eric,

Having lived in the US for a few years, I know that oil shops etc say one should change oil every 3000 miles. I can't believe people actually do this this (ie fall for the marketing of the oil companies... Whistle Whistle Such a waste of money and resource.

I run a 60's car and that service interval is 3000 miles for an oil change (Mercedes). But oil technology has advanced significantly in 50 years. If you use the correct synthetic oil (rather than cheap as chips mineral oil that some of the while you wait service garages in the US offer as part of their cheap deals) you should be absolutely fine with an oil change at the correct intervals (12 months or 15000 miles (I think for the D3)).

And I would change the drain plug and filter, etc each time. The drain plug has a washer built into it. Looks like a crush washer (and if so would be one use only) but haven't ever bothered to look close enough to check.

Welcome aboard.
 PAGODA  
Post #75387129th Jan 2011 2:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >