Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Urgent advice on dealer error and Engine Overheating message
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4
Urgent advice on dealer error and Engine Overheating message

I’d be grateful for advice from those with technical experience of our engines given the following situation:

2016 LR4 SCV6 petrol engine with about 70k miles. The AC system had a series of leaks requiring the replacement of two sets of lines and the condenser. Given the requirement for AC charging gear and the 1234 coolant I couldn’t do the work and went to the dealer. (They have to split the body/chassis, hence need to drain coolant).

On collection of the vehicle after the (horrifically expensive) work, I drove off in the car and after a few mins got a ‘ENGINE OVERHEATING’ message. I was only a few minutes from the dealer so took the car back (by now it was 1730h on Friday evening and they were closing). The lead engineer did a few checks and we found that the was a great deal of air in the cooling system. Improper fill, obviously.

The vehicle is sitting at the dealer waiting for them to investigate. My obvious concern is lasting damage. On the one hand the vehicle was running for a short time only (not including the Quality Control drive 5km drive by their QC guy - obviously did his job properly). I realize that seeing any permanent damage is going to be near impossible but wondered if there any checks I can get the dealer to perform to confirm the engine isn’t cooked.

Grateful for any advice. I’m back there tomorrow.
 PAGODA  
Post #237321314th Jul 2024 1:10 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Did you see boiled coolant (steam) venting from under the hood before handing back to the dealer ?
Were you able to watch when lead engineer inspected ?
Was there a spew of steam when coolant cap was unscrewed ?
Did the engine bay SMELL a bit pungent (typical after being cooked)
Was fresh coolant SLOWLY added - thus avoiding temperature shock and consequent stresses and sometimes cracked castings ?
I ran a D3 V8 for some years with failed coolant level indicator and a slow coolant leak which we never found.
It boiled up many times, I always spotted the temperature gauge shooting up and pulled over. Cooling circuit never vented from over-pressure, engine never smelled bad, and I always avoided refilling quickly with fresh cold coolant.
That engine never let me down, I sold the car in 2016, it's still with new owner and I UNDERSTAND engine remains fine.
So what I'm saying is since you caught it quickly and assuming you saw no spewing steam and over-pressure in the coolant circuit - then you probably got away with it.
But yes, the dealer should be shot. Quite easy to trap air in coolant circuit when filling from low or scratch; dealer's fitter should know that and how to check for it and avoid.
I DO HOPE you got lucky Smile)))

Post #237325515th Jul 2024 12:34 am
pagoda

Thanks KPTV8,

All great points. I don’t think she boiled and there was no escaping vapour from what I could see. The engine was certainly hot enough to pressurize the system as was clear when we checked it back in the workshop.

I’ve filled and bled coolant on this engine before and although it’s a total pain in the backside, it’s hard to screw it up with a vacuum fill, which they certainly did. I think the difference between me doing it and them doing it was that one of us knew how much coolant went into the engine (me), as opposed to just coolant just flowing in from some reservoir somewhere in their shop.

I basically loath working on my Land Rovers, but on the very rare occasions I go to a dealer for something I’m reminded why I do it.

I’ll find out more tomorrow and report back. If she’s ok, I’m going to sit in traffic jams for about 2h letter her get really hot (not remotely hard in Toronto) just to see what happens.
 PAGODA  
Post #237325915th Jul 2024 2:07 am
pagoda

Closing this out; the vehicle is back with me, tested near to death. It seems that there may have been coolant in the block, etc, but the air pocket was caused by removal of coolant from the condenser that had to be replaced. No leaks, no apparent coolant use/drop and no smoke. Will look again tomorrow to see if that changes.

For anyone with an SCV6, LR are unofficially recommending replacing the timing chain at some point if keeping the vehicle. Price quoted by my stealer? $10k.

Bargain. Rolling with laughter
 PAGODA  
Post #237343617th Jul 2024 1:57 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

$10k to replace the timing chain !

That sounds absurd - what would be the cost of supplying & fitting a new engine?

Good luck.

NJSS

Post #237344317th Jul 2024 7:46 am
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

pagoda wrote:
Closing this out; the vehicle is back with me, tested near to death. It seems that there may have been coolant in the block, etc, but the air pocket was caused by removal of coolant from the condenser that had to be replaced. No leaks, no apparent coolant use/drop and no smoke. Will look again tomorrow to see if that changes.

For anyone with an SCV6, LR are unofficially recommending replacing the timing chain at some point if keeping the vehicle. Price quoted by my stealer? $10k.

“Near to death”!?!
Locate an Independant service shop for the timing chain… that has loads of experience with it.
Shore Automotive in Ottawa is such a place. The quote will be significantly less.
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #237345917th Jul 2024 1:20 pm
pagoda

Thanks for the recommendation in Ottawa. I’ll take a look.

There were some NOS rebuilt by LR 3.0SCV6 engines around a few years ago, never fitted. There was a deal on them at $9k, which was an absolute bargain. I asked yesterday at the dealership about the cost of a new engine fitted and I think it was something like $25k. Crazy.
 PAGODA  
Post #237349318th Jul 2024 2:42 am
pagoda

itsaguything wrote:
pagoda wrote:

“Near to death”!?!
Locate an Independant service shop for the timing chain… that has loads of experience with it.
Shore Automotive in Ottawa is such a place. The quote will be significantly less.

Just to say thanks for the tip on Shore. I spoke to Scott and they’ll be the guys to do it; their quote was a lot less but more than that they seem have a very clear idea of how to do it properly.
 PAGODA  
Post #237369220th Jul 2024 11:49 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

They’ve done so many of them…. Glad you followed up with them.
The senior staff are all from JLR in Ottawa.

They are busy…. because they are good.
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #237371721st Jul 2024 3:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >