Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Upgrade to NAV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DaveJLBI

Ireland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Upgrade to NAV

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have had a quick search through with a few variables.

I am likely to buy a MY15 D4 from my brother in June, it is a commercial 5 seater commonly sold here in Ireland but he has a reasonable spec in it, hi-ice, reverse camera, heated screens (F&R), heated seats (F&R), xenons, timed climate, long rails and full seating / door card (incl ambient lights) upgrade to the HSE seats etc (bought through here and professionally installed in Dublin).

Anyways, my question is whether there is much involved in getting on board nav to the screen - I know many don't rate it but I would like to see myself.

Also, does anyone have experience of using a Windows 10 phone with the onboard bluetooth? Am sticking with Windows as long as I can!

Thanks, looking forward to the move (he has ordered a Model X to partner his XC90, he is sad to leave LR fold but he has always been an early adopter, so in at the deep end!). Will be moving on my own D3 HSE after over four brilliant years, might even see if there is any interest through here.

Post #191329110th Feb 2018 10:07 pm
DaveJLBI

No advice? is it possible to add factory nav to the MY15 hi-ice system

Post #191467914th Feb 2018 10:09 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I thought nav was standard on anything with a touchscreen? if you don't have it, I expect you will need a GPS aerial to be added and a map licence as a minimum. the later nav systems are HDD based I think so possibly need that too. If all that isn't there, then the nav software itself might well be missing. haven't used the later system but a TomTom or similar is going to be easier and I would venture better as they come with free map upgrades and live traffic updates. TBH I default to google maps on my phone these days and have found it perfect

Post #191478415th Feb 2018 10:30 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

All sounds a lot of hassle for a nav system that is seriously useless, both from the usability and navigation guidance points of view. IMHO you're better getting a sensibly placed mount and run Google Maps (as said above Thumbs Up ) from your phone. My built in nav doesn't get used at all, and if I do forget my phone and are forced to use it I've switched the TMC to Italy as I was getting really fed up with it barking "THERE IS SLOW TRAFFIC AHEAD" at me every few minutes. Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Post #191478715th Feb 2018 10:48 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Windows phone was great with my D4... Better than the android one i have now. And the maps were good too so I'd also suggest a suitable mount for the phone as a solution to satnag.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #191480115th Feb 2018 11:16 am
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This should point you in the right direction
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic42860....de+fitting
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #191503415th Feb 2018 7:25 pm
DaveJLBI

Thanks for that, but it only seems to deal with D3? It is D4 (MY15) with the hi-ice that I am searching for.

Post #191504315th Feb 2018 7:40 pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

It seems the nav could be retrofitted, but would require the complete CD audio/nav unit (which is separate from the display) to be replaced and GPS antenna and cable to be fitted.

As noted above, it is not worth the hassle adding considering its quirks, especially as Landrover seem to quickly lose interest in updating maps for their nav systems - The D3 nav updates stopped before the last D3s had come out of warranty. The latest update for the D4 is sold as 2017, but is actually 2016 data - for the grand sum of £169.

Use the money for a decent stand-alone nav or use your phone - its more cost effective.

By contrast Volvo provide free map updates for 10 years - for a very similar nav system.

Post #191512315th Feb 2018 10:14 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Re windows phone, my advice is forget it. Apart from the intrinsic merit or otherwise of the system good Android devices are cheap these days and offer so much more - and more apps.

Re the Satnav, I have a MY14 HSE. After 4 years I just bought a Tomtom 5200 rather than update the Censored inbuilt satnav - the TT has automatic worldwide map updates, speed cameras, real-time traffic updates via the onboard 3g modem, is more user friendly - oh, and it cost less than to update the inbuilt satnav. Thumbs Up

Post #191512415th Feb 2018 10:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >