Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

A very unhappy Disco 3 owner!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Chocolate

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
A very unhappy Disco 3 owner!

Went shopping today Sad , parked in Costco carpark, and this friendly guy came up to me asking what I thought about the D3, obviously I told him I was over the moon with it, and that its probably the best car that I have ever owned Very Happy .

With that, he told me of his horror story of how he is currently having legal talks with a certain main dealer because he wants his money back!

He said he loves the car when he can use it, but in the 6 months he has owned it it has spent over half of that time in the dealers for different problems. Suspension failure, loss of power, sometimes leaving him and his family stranded by the roadside.

Now I know every car has its problems, (my last BMW had its turbo blow, costing me £1500 Shocked ), but his list did seem terribly long, and also I must add he seemed a very level headed and decent bloke, just very upset and frustrated with his car.

Why is this?, is it just a lottery with any car you buy?, is it maybe his dealer have been crap at finding / fixing faults? , it just seems poor, in this day and age when aeroplanes can fly millions of miles a year (almost) fault free, but car manufacturers just dont seem to get the quality control up to scratch.

Reading this guys web site

http://www.haveyoursay.com/

used to make me laugh, but having heard that guy today has made me think a bit harder? Confused

Car of the Year 2005, 2006 and 2007, Best Large 4x4
Top Gear "Best Car In The World"
4x4 Magazine "Best 4x4 In The World"

2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 SE Manual, Zambezi Silver, Ebony Powered/Heated Leather, Privacy Glass, Side protection, Parrot CK3200LS Bluetooth Phone Kit, 18" Type 2 Alloys, Bi-Xenons, and Tasmods Stainless Steel sill trims, MANTEC Protection 

Post #13772211th Mar 2007 12:20 am
Jads777

Guernsey 

It's unfortunate but I guess there will always be stories like this. I have owned five discos and they have all been reliable; just the occasional minor niggle.

Post #13772311th Mar 2007 12:36 am
Chocolate

yeah, mine has been pretty niggle free so far, and friends, family and most guys on here seem to be relatively OK, but it would be a bit worrying if you dropped on a bad one, especially after forking out £30k + !!

Kinda brings up the same old question about should you keep the D3 after the warranty runs out............probably not!

2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 SE Manual, Zambezi Silver, Ebony Powered/Heated Leather, Privacy Glass, Side protection, Parrot CK3200LS Bluetooth Phone Kit, 18" Type 2 Alloys, Bi-Xenons, and Tasmods Stainless Steel sill trims, MANTEC Protection 

Post #13772411th Mar 2007 12:44 am
Jads777

Guernsey 

I think we all feel a lot of sympathy for these people; it's just bad luck really. The crucial thing is how the LR dealers respond but unfortunately some of them seem to have a poor track record. They just don't seem to realise how positive actions could develop brand loyalty and keep people buying the product.

Post #13772711th Mar 2007 12:53 am
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

This guy got rid of his D3 long ago. I understand his frustration but he has now moved on to a Audi and we all hope he likes it better, especially his Audi dealer.
The most useful thing on his site was a link to this site, I guess put there in his attempt to prove every D3 had the same problems. Quite a few people got here via that site including me.
Most people realise that there are bad examples out there and like all products early versions can suffer problems but I like to see some balance and his site is just too negative all the time. On this site there is examples of good, bad and down right ugly problems but there is also tips on how to prevent problems and experts to help resolve them. There is also great pictures of what the D3 can really do when its allowed to put on its hiking boots and let loose in the wild.
The difference is that on this site most people love their D3's faults and all.

Post #13774311th Mar 2007 8:13 am
henkreyn

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

That's an old story and has been posted here several times. Here's just one example

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic6448.ht...aveyoursay
 TDV6 HSE Stornaway Grey, black interior  
Post #13774611th Mar 2007 9:01 am
JMC

Scotland 

Hey Chocolate! A guy once told me about the problems he was having with his wife, his mortgage, his kids and his job.

So, I went home and shot my wife, my kids, my dog, and I burned my house down......... Rolling Eyes

Post #13775911th Mar 2007 10:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

that's a bit extreme JMC. Why'd you have to shoot the dog...? Whistle Whistle
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13777411th Mar 2007 11:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chocolate

JMC...... I get what you are saying, I have absolutely no thoughts of getting rid of my disco, its too good for that, but all I meant was that even though you can read about these problems, until you are actually made aware of someones distress on a personal level it doesnt always seem real, if you get my meaning.

Post #13778411th Mar 2007 2:31 pm
oliver77

Wales 

I have been there and call me an an idiot but I am on my 3rd. Mine have all been unreliable but gradually better as I have moved to 07 Model year. The problem I find is that any issues are made worse by the poor service from Land Rover Assistance and a large number of dealers within the network. I had a look at the really bad reviews on WhatCar? the other day and can't help thinking that these are all going to damage my residual values.

I wasn't a Land Rover owner until Discovery 3 and I had planned to get rid of mine about now but when we had that bad snow a few weeks back I was so totally overwhelmed by how capable the D3 was i.e. towing a fully laden transit up a snow covered bank with ease I couldn't part with it. The Land Rover slogan 'there will be times you'll be glad you're in a Land Rover' were just ringing in my ears.

Land Rover need to round on their dealers, change their attitude or take the franchise off them and improve LRA, the cars will improve with time as D3 already has.

Post #13778511th Mar 2007 3:09 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That's exactly what Mercedes did with it's dealership franchisees a couple of years back. Seems to be paying them dividends now ()although of course there's always a bad experience)
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13778711th Mar 2007 3:14 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think LR are getting a bit better- I had a follow up call from LR HQ-regarding my new D3 last week. The guy was asking about my history of LR ownership & if I had any problems with the new car, I have a couple of niggles which I told him about. Local dealership were on the phone within the hour to arrange a time to sort them out. This is the type of service we should be expecting.
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #13781111th Mar 2007 7:05 pm
Chocolate

I must say Guy Salmon at wakefield have been very good so far, staff very helpful, problems sorted quickly and fully explained, also had a couple of courtesy follow up calls, this is what it should be like when you are spending D3 money. but as I said on previous posts,
I found my local BMW dealer to be very poor, so I guess dealers do have a huge part to play in customer satifaction and not just the product.

Post #13781211th Mar 2007 7:13 pm
twizzle

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

in my opinion.....he's a tw@t.

How's that for a balanced argument.. 8)
 i'm lovin it....  
Post #13781711th Mar 2007 7:48 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mercedes fine there salesmen if anything goes wrong with the car or it's not correct when it goes out the showroom.... they also get penalised if anything goes wrong with the car in the first so many months of ownership. Hence the high turnover of staff for Mercedes dealerships....

Post #13782011th Mar 2007 8:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >