Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

An unexpected FBH issue..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MogulBoy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
An unexpected FBH issue..

Cranked up the FBH remotely yesterday morning as the car was under 5" of snow and it was below zero. However our plans changed and I walked to school (more fun apparently!).

An hour or so later, my wife had to go out in the D4 but could not open any door or the tailgate - all frozen solid!

Presumably, the nicely warmed vehicle had melted the enough snow to allow water to drip onto the door seals and then it had re-frozen by the time she got to it.

Given that the FBH had been on for the max duration (30mins, I assume) it was not possible for her to re-start the FBH and try again (I believe that you need to start the engine first to re-set it).

She got it open in the end somehow but this is something to be aware of. She had by that time held the unlock button down for long engouh to trigger the global opening function and might have been able to climed in one of the two windows that weren't frozen solid - but it just goes to show you that you can be too clever for your own good and the FBH could give you a nasty surprise if end up totally frozen out for a while!
 MY11 D4 SDV6 SE LHD (with remote park heater, heated seats in row 2, heated steering wheel and rear HVAC controls!)  
Post #87323720th Dec 2011 11:45 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

What sort of temperatures are you getting over there Question

Post #87324620th Dec 2011 12:10 pm
MogulBoy

It's not been exceptionally cold (-4C max) but of course it only needs to be 0C to freeze once the residual heat from within the cabin had been lost and as a bit of snow continued to fall and the car was in the shade there was no 'greenhouse effect' going! I was just surprised that what seemed to happen was water go in to the door seals lead to the problem.. I'll have to have another look when I get the chance but as there are at least 50 types of snow and any other number of combinations of humidity and temperature, it may not happen again.
 MY11 D4 SDV6 SE LHD (with remote park heater, heated seats in row 2, heated steering wheel and rear HVAC controls!)  
Post #87328020th Dec 2011 1:41 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Mogulboy,
I've heard of some people coating the rubber seal with silicone (antisieze) to prevent this.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #87363321st Dec 2011 5:32 am
MogulBoy

Thanks, I will have a go as I have some BMW "Gummipflege" stuff which is good for this type of thing. I was just a bit surprised as my D4 is less than a year old and I had assumed that the seals wouldn't have needed attention for bit longer than this.
Post #87365921st Dec 2011 9:29 am
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

happened to us in london last year ,couldnt get in ,as same thing happened ,took a bit of tugging the door to get in our d3,i put vaseline on the door seals ,temp.but worked.
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #87374121st Dec 2011 12:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >