Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Tyre Monitors - again ....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
hls

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Here is the pic of the LCD

Pressure indicated on the left and temperature on the right with the battery voltage on the bottom right. Will only fit the sensors next week when my 265/70/R17 AT BFGs arrive in Burgersfort. I did fit one on the spare wheel rim though.

Post #65948711th Jun 2010 5:35 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Looks good . Did you purchase online ?

Post #66047314th Jun 2010 4:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hls

No, I went to their premises in Midrand/Centurion. Discussed potential for a group buy discount to which they were open for further discussion.

First need to test and report.

Post #66050214th Jun 2010 5:42 pm
heine

Cool I'm in Midrand how do get hold of them

Post #66050514th Jun 2010 5:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hls

Take the Ben Schoeman towards PTA, turn off at old JHB road (R101) and travel to Brakfontein road (i.e. back to JHB). Left at first intersection into Brakfontein rd. Left at 1st intersection and left again at first intersection (Freight Road). You will see Yamaha Centurion in front of you. Park there. Yamaha Centurion on your right Gadget and things on your left at 11 o'clock. Speak to Alwyn.

Post #66057414th Jun 2010 8:19 pm
heine

Thumbs Up Bow down

Post #66060114th Jun 2010 8:43 pm
Nico G4-2

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
I also bought some 2 weeks ago

but as my Landie is with Centurion LR since then could not report on the usability etc of the product...

I will now only be able to test this in a months time Big Cry

The service from them was Gr8 - HLS did you get the "remote" to do your own set-up ?

I wanted system that supported more tyres for trailer and I like to have the spares also "connected" so seems like nice system.

Nico
 Nico

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus: Ex-CT Tdi Disco
'05 BOV - Big Orange Van: TDV6 D3 G4 - Hit a COW the animal kind
'11 BBB - Big Black Bus: D4 HSE 5.0 V8 - busy with MODS
'16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
SWAMBO ... Small black number - RCZ 

Post #66065014th Jun 2010 9:56 pm
hls

Re: I also bought some 2 weeks ago

Nico G4-2 wrote:
HLS did you get the "remote" to do your own set-up ?

Not yet. I will first test the system before I invest more money.

My sensors were installed today and sytem setup performed. Setup is fairly straight forward.

The TPMS alarms at over and under inflation (25% and 30%). Alarms are also activated at temperatures of 80, 90 and 100 degrees centigrade.

Now for a field test. Thumbs Up

Post #66095515th Jun 2010 6:06 pm
hls

Re: I also bought some 2 weeks ago

Nico G4-2 wrote:
HLS did you get the "remote" to do your own set-up ?

I wanted system that supported more tyres for trailer and I like to have the spares also "connected" so seems like nice system.

After playing around with the system today, I do not see the need for a remote. Additional tyres can be setup by performing a leak test (i.e.deflating the tyre that you want to include). I was able to connect my spare wheel (also fitted with a sensor) to the system this way. The instruction manual however was not very clear on this.

Post #66121316th Jun 2010 10:56 am
Frans@yamorna

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Guys,
A monitor could have saved a brand new A/T2 on a recent trip to N/Cape and Nam.Two questions;
1.What powers the sensors and on the DigiTire and AVE systems,and do you take the tyre of to replace the battery and what is the expected life of this battery/power source?
2.If you move the tyres around on the car,must you move the sensors from wheel to wheel to keep track,or do reprogram the monitor?

Taking the cost of a tyre into account,such a device,can pay for itself,if good.

Thanks

Post #6690296th Jul 2010 9:41 pm
hls

Cannot answer with regards the Digitire system.

The AVE system sensors and transmitters are powered by a 3.6volt battery similar to the battery powering a wrist watch. The battery life is claimed to be 5 to 7 years.

The sensor is fitted onto the the rim via the valve. The sensor is located on the inside of the rim so changing the sensor battery will require removal of the tyre.

The receiver monitors the sensor's battery level so you should have ample warning when battery replacement is required.

Movement of tyres do not require refitment of the sensors. It does however require that you re-program the receiver. This is done by deflating the tyre pressures so that the receiver can locate the sensors. The procedure requires around 10 to 20 minutes to perform.

One issue that I had with the AVE system is that it does not have an offroad mode (I believe the Digitire system makes provision for an offroad mode). With a spare wheel sensor fitted it means that when deflating tyres for sand conditions, the spare wheel will alarm at over pressure. This can however be countered by bypassing the spare wheel (through programming) and adding it again later (deflating the spare wheel tyre so that the receiver recognised the sensor). Alternatively, you could also deflate the spare wheel tyre.

I tested the AVE system during a 4000km trip to Botswana and was suitably impressed. Experienced no problems even after travelling on "sinkplaat" roads. Used the sensors as a quick indication of tyre pressures while inflating tyres after playing in sand and then checked pressure with handheld device (just to make sure). There was a slight (around 3%) discrepancy in pressure between the AVE's pressures and the handheld meter's pressures.

Post #6695237th Jul 2010 10:06 pm
Frans@yamorna

Thanks for the feedback on the AVE system........looks impressive:!:What is the cost of the unit and how many sensors is included in the price of a standard unit?

Anybody with experience of the Diditire system?

How did the D3 handle the sand round Nxai pan?

Regards

Post #6696108th Jul 2010 7:19 am
hls

AVE system cost me R3300. This included 4 sensors. Additional sensors R400 each. When I purchased my system I discussed the potential of a group buy discount with the supplier. It should be possible?

No problems with the sand at Nxai pan. Did the section at a pressure of 1.8 bar only after turning back to help a friend. Pressure was above 3bar before that. Diff locks came on maybe once or twice. Only issue was an amber suspension warning light, probably due to the vehicle continuously lowering and me lifting the suspension while I tried to drive faster than the stupid 40km/h suspension lowering limit.

Post #6697978th Jul 2010 5:33 pm
Frans@yamorna

Found a DigiTire set at a old price of R2000 with 4 monitors.It is quite simple to change the setup when you move tyres around on the vehicle,so I think I will go for it!!

What tyres and sizes have you got on your D3?

I have Grabber a/t 2,(18 inch)and will test them on sand in the Shashe river next time I visit Tuli.

The orange rollover light came on twice on my trip,on streight tar!!!!!!

Post #6698418th Jul 2010 7:55 pm
hls

I see new Digitire systems retails for around R2250 (July Leisure Wheel). I did not like the look of the Digitire system. The AVE system just looks more professional IMHO. My boss has a Digitire system fitted to his D3 and has not complained about it, but then he never ventures offroad. He is however currently batteling to get a replacement sensor for one which was damaged by a tyre fitment company?

D3 fitted with BFG 165/70 R17 ATs. A bit larger diameter than the standard setup.

Post #6699849th Jul 2010 8:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >