DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Two year old caravan: reported as 50% damp on second service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Andym01207

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Two year old caravan: reported as 50% damp on second service

Hi
Just looking to canvas folks thoughts/opinions here before I decide on my approach.

In March 2013 I bought a new Sterling Eccles 586 family van.
Fast fwd to this April when I had its 2nd service done (not at supplying dealer which is 1hr + away), and the damp report is 50% across the rear quarter where the windows for the kids bunks are.

Now..the week before it went in for that 2nd Service we had a week away in it, and 2 days after returning our 8month old son ended up in a blue light dash to the childrens hospital with breathing difficulties caused by severe bronchialitis. Co-incidence...possibly.. (park that thought for now)

I rang the local branch of the dealer group I bought it from (15 mins away) who dont want to know. They say it has to go back to where I bought it, which in itself frustrates the h*ll out of me.

So I spoke to the supplying dealer who said they wont do anything based on someone else's damp report, so long story short I have to trek it down 1hr + for a ten minutes damp check before they will even consider discussing repair.

In my view this is clearly not fit for purpose. Brand new, used approx a dozen or so times and now on its 2nd anniversary its 50% damp with damage to the internal boards. From what I can gather this i sa very high reading.
To be honest I am not sure I want it back, the whole of the back end will need stripping out internally, windows out the works. I don't want them to fix it and then in a few years it be out of warranty and happen again.

We are due away for our annual holiday in in in Mid July. If its not sorted, my wife doesnt want to go in it given the damp area is around the kids bunks, and that our previous trip (before we knew it was damp) resulted in chest problems and a hospital stay for our youngest.
If its not rectified, one way or the other, I may be looking to Swift to provide alternative vehicle for our holiday.

Anyone had a similar problem, got any advice.

Not spoken to Swift directly, I will wait till I get the dealers damp report they insist upon, and then speak to Swift.

Not expecting the dealer to help much as they are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike and have consistently demonstrated the worst customer service I have ever experienced over the 2 yr period since we've had it.

I may ring the caravan club and get their opinion/advice.

Over to the D3 massive

Cheers

Post #147187811th May 2015 9:55 am
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had similar readings and it was just condensation. We had the damp test done while we were staying in it and had just cooked a meal.
If it's below a window then the seals might not be effective. Once seals are changed than often problem goes away

Post #147188511th May 2015 10:01 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

If you are not already join Swift Talk and then talk to one of the Swift guys on there, they are good and respond quickly even out of hours.

It is not uncommon or unique to find damp even in a newish van and if you look round I a very common issue. As for getting it repaired, I doubt you will get it done in time for your annual leave as it may well go back to swift to do the work, the van will however come out like new.

Sorry I cannot say more or offer good news.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #147188711th May 2015 10:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andym01207

Dont get me wrong I know caravans get damp.
However I think 50% is a high reading, and very disappointing in a new one.

Thanks for the Swift talk tip, will take a look after work tonight.

Post #147189311th May 2015 10:06 am
jimbojay

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi Andy,
Firstly I hope your wee ones ok, Bronchiolitis as I am sure you are aware is fairly common with the little ones but no less worrying as a parent, maybe as you say keep that thought if Swift don't start to play ball!!
As far as I am aware Swift were meant to be the ones advocating the Approved Service which I think meant that you should be able to take it to any dealer or mobile provided they had the swift accreditation?
I would be inclined to got to swift and inform them that the dealers not playing ball!
As Sean say's condensation could be a possible but I would have thought the servicing dealer would have been aware of something like that?
The main issue seems to be with supplying dealers getting the hump at not getting service work and then not technically refusing warranty issues just making it bloody hard for you to get it done with them!!
As I say I would hit Swift!!!

Good Luck

Jay

Post #147189711th May 2015 10:11 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

sean 471 wrote:
I had similar readings and it was just condensation. We had the damp test done while we were staying in it and had just cooked a meal.
If it's below a window then the seals might not be effective. Once seals are changed than often problem goes away

I agree with the above - especially the last couple of weeks. We had very high readings when in Germany a couple of winters back and there was snow on the ground a few months later and it had cleared.
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #147196511th May 2015 12:25 pm
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Why not buy yourself a damp meter and check it yourself then you can be confident when approaching the dealer & manufacturer - less than a tenner of eBay

Does the van smell musty as this is often a tell tale sign of damp.

Good luck with the dealer - I suspect you may need it
Hope it works out for you and you are able to get away on your holiday as planned Thumbs Up

Post #147210211th May 2015 5:21 pm
Andym01207

Thanks all.

The van doesn't smell musty at all.
I may look for a damp meter, good idea - thanks.

It's our third van, (first new) over 7 years and my in-laws and bro-in-law &family are lifelong caravanners so we're not novices.

This is the first new one we have had, and I'd have to think long and hard before I buy another. For the money you pay they are total cr*p to be honest and the dealer experience is generally appalling.

I know they don't have the economies of scale of a car manufacturers but comparing a 16K caravan to a 16K car and the difference in customer service is miles apart.

Won't bore you with the details but the dealer have been a nightmare from day 1.

Post #147211511th May 2015 5:34 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

With regards to using different Dealers for warranty work, in theory (Swift say it's fine) you can, but it is up to the Dealership concerned as to whether they want to. Bearing in mind that a dealership will charge somewhere in the region of £50 per hour to you and I, they will "only" get low £30's from manufacturers, so you can perhaps understand why they don't want to take on warranty work for people other than those who they supplied to. Frustrating I know, but that's how it is I'm afraid.

As for you rejecting the caravan, unfortunately you've had it too long now, and the Dealer will have to be given the opportunity to repair it. As others have said, if it does go back to Swift it will be done properly (but then it should have been done properly in the first place!).

I'm sorry that you're having a torrid time with the caravan, and I know how you feel. I should have been collecting our new on on 8th April, but when we went, there were faults, and the PDI had quite obviously not been done. We left it there!

Post #147213211th May 2015 5:57 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I had a 2010 sterling eccles ruby sorry to say this but it was the biggest heap of rubbish I ever purchased finally after all the repairs being done and all the people I met with 2011 / 12 all with severe damp issues swift have got a lot too awnser for poor quality all round so I pxd mine for a new coachman and will ever again go back to rubbish

Post #147226311th May 2015 9:23 pm
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I feel the servicing agent is trying to job build, 50% damp is excessive moisture levels and at that reading the moisture problem would be quite self evident with tell tale signs, ie musty smell, staining, bubbling paper etc...

Either get an independant survey carried out or test it yourself, windows are the weak points, before testing give the area a wipe with dry cloths or paper towel to remove the risk of false reads from surface moisture/comdensation
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #147231111th May 2015 10:24 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

50/% moisture in the 2011/12 models is a common issue for swift as my dealer told me

Post #147236312th May 2015 6:19 am
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

We had a Sterling Eccles Jewel and it lasted less then 3 years and less then 5,000 miles towed on motorways and A roads in the UK.

Second trip out at 4 months old was down to the NEC Caravan and Camping show where we working on the Boab stand. I spent a lot of time on the Swift stand, shower had self destructed, oven fallen apart, toilet not working, heater not working. Every time we took it out it was a case of what has fallen off now!

Less then 1,000 miles after second service, the tow hitch was falling apart, only one bolt just about holding things together. Local Swift dealers would not touch it under warranty, so recovered on a flatbed at a cost of £650. Guess what? Swift, Sterling, Eccles refused warranty claim, Alko refused warranty claim, Dickinson of Bradford supplying dealer, carried out service work was as much use as a chocolate fire guard. That cost us a grand.

Our opinion? We will avoid anything out of the Swift, Sterling, Eccles group like the plague.

After second service when we picked up the caravan from Dickinson and drove it direct to club meet had a gas leak. Fittings needed tightening up. Dickinson stated they did not touch those fittings and it passed the gas safety test.

Brendan

Post #147240312th May 2015 8:56 am
Andym01207

This is my experience.

Pickup day.
Was given allotted time for handover. No sign of caravan. 'Its just being pulled round from yard now, have a cup of coffee'... Fast fwd 2.5 hours, multiple cups of coffee, multiple BS excuses from Sales manager about finishing paper work from last handover/its just being brought round now etc...
After 3 hours I took myself into the yard to find it dripping wet having just been (badly) washed, with junior salesman inside with some sort of spray and a roll of blue cloth!
So after giving the sales manager both barrels, we left without it, requesting it was delivered to our home when it was ready.

First trip
Hekki Shattered when opened for the first time. Had to pay for a mobile mech to come and make it safe to tow. Dropped it at dealer on way home.
Dealer told me it would be off the road for 6 weeks while they got one.
I lost patience after 3, rang the group sales manager and told him that my 2 week old caravan being off the road for 6 weeks across the holiday period whilst they sourced a roof light was not on.
Suggested he expedited it or he could keep it and send me a large cheque to allow me to make alternative holiday arrangements.
No surprise they found one a week later!
Dealer rang me triumphantly to tell me I could bring it in, they had my Hekki. Ermm you have got it, or you should have it, I dropped it off on the way back from the first trip! Oh...erm let me check!

First Service.
Pick it up from first service and head straight for a long weekend to a site with no facilities.
Shower head is missing!
Since we had no facilities on the site I had to spend a day looking for a shower head
Phone dealer who suggest it could not have happened during service but out of good will they would put one in the post.
That was 16 months ago....still waiting!

2nd Service
As you now know 50% damp

Wont be getting another.......

Post #147243312th May 2015 9:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >