Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

TURBO PROBLEMS.......again!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Tony, has the car been used off road in the mud ?

Pete

Post #6884911st Sep 2010 10:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hello Pete,

I have to admit that I never take the car offroad, it is kept very clean condition from new (mileage 46K). I have been to the local dealer three times now and it seems that the diagnostics is pointing to the turbo. However, before the big expense, they have fitted two exhaust gas pressure sensors (which I understand activates the turbo) and they have checked turbo pipes for splits.

The problem only occurs when I am towing a caravan, initially when pulling up a slight incline but is now occurring on the level. I get the message "engine system fault" immediately followed by "special programs off". I cannot get the fault to occur when not towing. The caravan weighs just 1200kgs laden, so well under the max towing mass.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Tony
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Post #6885281st Sep 2010 11:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discoed

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Interesting to read - mine does the same towing the caravan up long hills on a hot day - engine system fault and limp mode.
On re starting all is fine.

Mine is, as I type, having EGR blanked so maybe the problem will go away now....fingers crossed.

Post #72004123rd Nov 2010 6:07 pm
TonyH

Hi brucezcutts,

Yes, I thought that blanking the EGR's might solve the problem but my dealer did not agree and neither did Land Rover techs. In the end I had the turbo replaced, total cost was £1,750, which was less than I expected as it took more than a day to complete the job. I have to compliment Stratstone, Stoke on trent for getting the job done quick and passing on the parts discount they were able to negotiate with Land Rover.

Following the installation, I towed the caravan to the south of France, back to north Holland and home to the west mids with no further problems,
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey

Post #72005023rd Nov 2010 6:31 pm
marsie

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Hmm,on my way home from work tonite i was sat in trific at a junction and the "engine system failure" came up and went off,but as i tried to pull out of the junction the car wouldnt pull and only revved up to about 1500rpm Shocked .So i stopped and turned it off and on again and did the rest of the journey without problems Neutral
I am planning to see if it does it again,if not i will put it down to gremlins Mr. Green
Fingers crossed Whistle
Paul Thumbs Up
 Previous Discos
1989 200tdi 3dr
1994 300tdi ES
1995 3.9 ES (x3)
2000 4.0 adventurer
2001 4.0 ES
2005 D3 HSE (zambesi silver)
2007 D3 SE (Lugano teal)
2011 D4 XS (Baltic Blue)
2008 D3 HSE PREMIUM (buckingham blue)
2009 D4 XS (Nara bronze)
2006 D3 Metropolis (Java Black)
2012my D4 HSE (indus silver)
Current 2013 D4 XS (Firenze red) 

Post #72158826th Nov 2010 7:34 pm
TonyH

Regarding the prevention of turbo problems. There has been much discussion about blanking the EGR valves and I have to admit that when I first saw signs of a turbo problem, I did consider blanking the EGR's and asked my LR dealer to do this after fitting the new turbo.

However, they refused to do it on the grounds that it would cause problems with increased emissions, engine effeciency and a host of other things including parts warranty. I have also discussed it with the LR techies who warned me against it.

I was told that the turbo rarely fails because of a carbon deposit build up but more likely it is due to the turbo electronics, which are married to the turbo and cannot be serviced and apparently this was the problem with my turbo.

LR told me that much research has been spent on engine design and the EGR's are an essential element to efficiency.

I am no expert in mechanics or electronics and therefore I am just passing on what I have learned during this expensive repair.

I am assuming that this posting will invoke your views. But I am only the messenger, so please don't level your sights at me, I could do with some clarification.

Thank's
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey

Post #72174527th Nov 2010 9:06 am
bambi

England 

Hi Tony H, the egr's are not essential to day to day running hence many being blanked off, however post 07 cars with euro 4 engines have different software in the engine management side to through up warning lights if egr and butterflys are removed.

The egr is designed to recirculate a % of exhaust gasses to reburn and reduce some of the emissions, i think that the egr's are designed to operate over a small section of the rev range so in theory at mot time the effect is minimal.

Post #72175427th Nov 2010 9:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >