United Kingdom 
Tuning boxes - anyone tried P-Tronic?

Here's the link:

http://www.p-tronic.co.uk/index.php?class=...lter=30229

Anyone given it a go?

Post #30079619th May 2008 5:33 pm
Grumpy

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Tuning boxes - anyone tried P-Tronic?

I have just ordered one, so I will let you know once I have tried it. It sounds very promising if everything they say on the website is true. I have read a few reviews (unfortunately not for a Discovery 3) and they appear to be very pleased.[/quote]

Post #3075937th Jun 2008 11:07 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Seems like a lot to pay for a plug-in box - check the forum sponsors TorqTune, Turbochip and Bell Autos (see the Sponsors page for links) for "proper" remaps for similar money.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #3075957th Jun 2008 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RMB

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have been looking at these boxes for a while now. I always carry a LOT of weight, all the time. Fuel consumption suffers badly. I want something quick and easy, when Disco not working, I am losing money. Big Cry Dave Ellis – I am looking forward to your review. Good Luck.

Post #3076107th Jun 2008 12:07 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Unnecessary quote removed

Convenience may be one thing (although TFC took less than an hour to do my TorqTune), but this unit will not work alongside all the complex electronic engine management systems like a proper tune does, it will just give you more power.

If i was spending that much on a tune, it would not be on a plug in box that might accelerate engine wear, through lack of interaction with sensors, alright for some but not on a car costing as much as a D3.

Honestly hope it is good for you, but glad I spent my (similar amount) of money where i did Thumbs Up

Post #3076537th Jun 2008 5:30 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

For the price they are asking I'd go for TorqTune or Turbo Chip, one of the criteria for me choosing TT was hearing the opinions if folks here that have had either done. Def worth upgrading the performance but I'd recommend a known remap, hellova risk otherwise. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #3076817th Jun 2008 7:36 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I thought P-Tronic was some sort of bladder control product Shocked

Post #3076847th Jun 2008 7:39 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

1. Dont trust a web site. Things look nice (+big numbers power etc...) to hook you. Make phone calls, travel to the company, meet the people. Are they serious about LR, or just want to take you to the cleaners. Today I was following up on websites http://www.alientec.de and http://www.race-power.de, went to the address of the "garage". Turned out to be a private house of a guy now doing "Financial advising" knew nothing about LR, cars or tuning Evil or Very Mad .

2. Don't buy a box. These can only overfuel by increasing the original injector opening time. They cant advance the timing or control the turbo boost pressure or shut the EGR valve and so wont burn fuel more efficiently.

3. Find someone who knows and cares about your car. The D3 is a big investment, dont ruin it with rubbish kit.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #3077848th Jun 2008 12:24 am
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

countrywide wrote:
I thought P-Tronic was some sort of bladder control product Shocked

Yes it is. It increases the delivery time of your injector Very Happy
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #3077858th Jun 2008 12:26 am
boatman

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Power (not enough)

Hello All enthusiasts I am new to this site and to Landrovers. I have just traded my e class merc for a Disco 3tdv6 which is a really great car! There is only one major problem with it, the std performance is just not safe in todays driving environment. I've started the research on tuning and it seems to me that JE, Torque Tune, Turbochips and DMS are all in the running. My biggest concern is the LR warranty. In the (unlikely) event that I have a problem during the next three years which of these tuning firms will stand behind me with thier cheque book? The initial cost is not really an issue when you have spent £35K but an out of warranty engine fix could be a real Big Cry
My car is an 07MYHSE, does it have a pre- heater? I agree about the manual, its poor, also the bluetooth system is very intermittent, no real reason why sometimes it picks up the phone and sometimes it doesnt.

Great website, tons of info!

I have now finished my research and will be having a DMS Job on Monday Thier MD Rob Young has a RRS TDV6 and has developed and developed the software until it is now perfect........ lets see. The big plus for me even though DMS are the most expensive is that they will be behind me cheque book at the ready in the very unlikely event that I am faced with a bill for a new engine. To be fair to torque tune I did not speak with them as I only found a South African website

Post #30863410th Jun 2008 5:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >