Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Trying to understand the FBH...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
danrjm

Wales 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Trying to understand the FBH...

So my recently purchased second hand Disco 3 HSE has a FBH controller/timer fitter just above the sunroof controls and it even came with a very small and mostly useless manual to tell me how to use it! I've seen it on automatically once, early one very very cold morning when it was back-lit orange with a little 'flame' symbol. Otherwise I can switch it on manually or set a time for it to be on - When running, there's barely any noise and no smoke but it definitely gets hot so seems to work fine. I have a couple of questions though...

1. I have the option to 'ventillate' rather than 'heat' - What does this mean/do? The manual says that not all systems can ventillate but that, if you can switch to a 'fan' symbol (which I can), then this is an option fitted to the car. It doesn't say what it does but I can ventilate the car for up to an hour three times a day automatically!

2. Is there an easy way to link the current system to a remote control? It's hard to predict when I may need the car over the winter and it would be better to switch on the FBH from the house rather than going out onto the drive! (I don't use the car all that often so the timer is pretty much useless).

Post #198683426th Sep 2018 8:51 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It would help if you stated what make of timer it is along with a few photos!
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #198689127th Sep 2018 6:14 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The std unit is the Webasto oval timer, if you google that you will find the instructions, without them you are on a hiding to nothing.

You need to remember the timer will control the fbh whilst the car is asleep and only when its asleep, as soon as you wake it up Ie unlock it the FBH will switch off and the car will take over control of the fbh.

Also worth checking if the Can wires are still plugged into the FBH as some people unplug them to save diesel, if they are unplugged the timer will always have control of the fbh regardless if the car is awake or not.

If you do some searhing there is a post where a guy has connected the oval timer to a cheap controller from ebay that can be swithed on and off via the phone

Post #198689327th Sep 2018 6:31 am
danrjm

It's the standard 5133 oval timer (I didn't realise there were other timers?) listed as a fitted option when the car was new. I also have the manual, the same manual as online, but still confused. The manual mentions very little about the 'ventillate' option other than its not available on some cars (but is on mine) - I guess it has something to do with heating the cab? Otherwise I can switch it on and off manually regardless of whether the car is asleep or not and select all timer options to be off (so it will never come on via the timer). I switched in for 10 mins yesterday with the car unlocked and external temperature of 19 deg. Will try and find timer he remote control option though...

Post #198711127th Sep 2018 4:34 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The oval timer has been installed by a previous owner, it's not an LR option as far as I know, and in my opinion, it's been installed in a totally useless manner. Rolling Eyes

If you want to use the oval timers flame button to switch on the FBH as a park heater, it is essential the car remains asleep to prevent it from taking over control of the FBH. If the timer is fitted inside the car, how can it be activated without opening a door and waking up the car??

You need to install a way of switching the timer on without waking the car. Try here:https://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Fuel_Burning_Heater

Why yours appears to work with the car awake is a complete mystery. Confused
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #198711627th Sep 2018 4:48 pm
lynalldiscovery

You just set the oval timer to come on as er a timer, thats what I do with mine.
Press SET button get out and lock car, come back to car next day at set time and its warm, obviously no good if using adhoc.

Test ran mine early this week and as usual 8 hrs later engine was warm.

To the op std run time is 30mins and webasto/eberspacher recommend 30 mins as the minimum run time to keep the heater in good fettle, ie less time will not get it hot enough to keep it carbon free.

Post #198716427th Sep 2018 7:14 pm
danrjm

Attached photos, if anyone wanted to see it. Ok, so I guess it wasn't fitted by LR given the (very well insulated) extra wire added in on the FBH unit - But it is listed on paperwork from the first owner who sold the car about 8 years ago. Anyway, the whole timer thing works fine, it's just that I also seem to be able to switch it on and off directly - Maybe the timer has been rewired to do this and, in a way, that does help the 'ad-hoc' use as you can switch it on directly 10 minutes or so before you leave. But... I still don't know what the 'ventillate' function does! It's marked by a 'fan' symbol in the bottom right of the timer screen (as in the photo) and is switched on by holding 'set' and '>>' (when the 'fan' symbol is on the 'ventillate' symbol is off and vice versa). The manual says little more than the car can be set to 'ventillate' rather than 'heat'.

Post #198717027th Sep 2018 7:34 pm
danrjm

Didn't upload photos from last post! They're here!

Post #198717327th Sep 2018 7:36 pm
lynalldiscovery

On my boat I have a switch marked heat or ventilate and ventilate simply runs the internal fan to shift some air around, so im assuming thats all yours does, maybe you can set the timer to move around on a hot day before entering the car?

Either way seems kind of pointless, but know its an option on other makes of car the germans being one.

Ps your pics didnt load, but they are in your gallery, you have to click the pics in the gallery to add them to your post. Thumbs Up

Post #198719427th Sep 2018 8:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >