Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Trying to identify a noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
mohnwalk

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Guys, I have recorded my sound from engine when I accellerate. I suspect the turbocharger as the sound comes when turbopreassure is building up and decreases when stepping off the accellerator. As I mentioned earlier, I can only hear the sound in the turbopreassure area. And when cold engine the sound is WORSE!

My wife took the car for a run yesterday and I was outside and heard her taking off... WOW Shocked - what a loud sound when cold!!

Cheked my faultcodes, but none related to engine and turbo.

What you guys think?

Here it is:

Post #161634326th Feb 2016 8:37 am
mohnwalk

Any thoughts on this noise?

Post #161738728th Feb 2016 12:27 am
mohnwalk

I can mention that I have changed the IC hoses a while back, the long and midle one, not the last small one closest to turbo. The long one had a big crack at the typical spot. I replaced them with silicon hoses. Could a leak at one of these cause this loud whistle noise?

Post #161762828th Feb 2016 3:51 pm
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Aerialmark wrote:
I had the same noise (more noticeable between buildings and narrow lanes) then I had the TC repaired with a new one and the noise has gone altogether Very Happy

Had the gearbox reconned 3 or 4 months ago with yet another new torque converter and in the last few days the noise is back Banging Head

Post #161773228th Feb 2016 7:34 pm
Valhalla

Scotland 

Hi Guys,
I have listened to one of the recordings a couple of pages back, and the noise on that MP3 sounds just like a failing crossover pipe. This part has a double-skinned construction which can fail or be stressed on the internal skin, often through excessive temperature of the exhaust gas passing through the crossover pipe. This single component is the weakest link for the exhaust manifolding tolerance to temperatures on TDV6 units - so is the first bit to fail if the engine gets a "tune-up" or has a fault that otherwise raises the gas temperatures.

There are two ways to get around the problem, if I'm right. One is to turn the radio up, the other is to get the body lifted and have a new pipe.

The noise can be mitigated from failing crossover pipes if the flanges/mounts are slackened and the pipe is forced to adopt a very subtly different shape from before, which separates the two skins, but this ignores the problem of the internal skin potentially shedding shards of metal through the turbine housing / wheel. Changing the turbo sometimes "fixes" the problem, because the exhaust manifold can be deflected slightly (and hence shift the end of the crossover pipe) by doing the support bracket fixings in the wrong sequence.

HTH

Post #163122126th Mar 2016 12:06 am
kayble

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

mohnwalk wrote:
Guys, I have recorded my sound from engine when I accellerate. I suspect the turbocharger as the sound comes when turbopreassure is building up and decreases when stepping off the accellerator. As I mentioned earlier, I can only hear the sound in the turbopreassure area. And when cold engine the sound is WORSE!

My wife took the car for a run yesterday and I was outside and heard her taking off... WOW Shocked - what a loud sound when cold!!

Cheked my faultcodes, but none related to engine and turbo.

What you guys think?

Here it is:

Hello - this sounds 100% like a loose jubilee clip/ split on one of the IC hoses. I had exactly this noise when I had to remove/replace my rad/IC and didn't completley tighten the IC hose jubilee clip on the intake side of the IC.

In reality what was happening was that the loose IC hose clip had exposed a split in the IC hose, directly underneath the clip, and boost pressure was bleeding through the split so it sounded constantly like a balloon deflating!

Cure was to replace the damaged hose with a silicone unit - now all is good (for the moment).

Post #163127026th Mar 2016 10:24 am
kayble

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Was there any feedback on this noise? my money is on a loose IC Hose/clip.

Post #163884210th Apr 2016 7:42 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just had my TC replaced and the 'noise' (which has bugged me for 3 years) is now gone. Fingers crossed I don't have to report back as AerialMark has done recently Whistle

Post #165728220th May 2016 3:00 pm
JayKay696

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Ok, so from reading the whole thread it looks like the TC is the source of this noise.
Exact same sound as on martindg mp3, driving me up the wall, cars driving next to me looking at me with a 'shame, should have a bought a Toyota" look. Constantly feathering throttle to try avoid noise when driving in traffic. Seems to be getting worse, not louder, but more prevalent through wider range of speeds
So far this is what has been done to get rid of this noise:
1. front wheelbearings;
2. front discs/pads (they thought is might be scraping noise somewhere around the disc);
3. recon rear diff
After dealer and indie drove with electronic stethoscope they agreed it to be the front diff,
4. recon front diff;
then after more deliberation:
5. left front driveshaft/cv;
then after more guessing:
6. all pipes changed to silicone (possible hole/tear causing suction sound)
then:
7. intercooler (possible leak causing suction sound)
8. checked all heatshields for loose mountings or fixings.
9. Diagnostics apparently show no faults.
Now they say, most LR's do that, nothing they can do about it further.
Bottom line is, I cannot now afford to replace the TC with new. Everywhere i read advise is to not get a recon TC, will not last.
So as temporary fix I am going to try the ATF Protectant additive and Dr. Tranny.
My question is: Do i use just one tube (2oz) of Dr. Tranny and one bottle (10oz) of the ATF Protectant with the ATF.

Post #167422228th Jun 2016 4:48 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

FWIW - Dr T did nothing to dampen the noise on mine. Whistle

Post #167433528th Jun 2016 7:10 pm
the admiral

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

have recently had my box and new TC fitted in april. I did not have the noise before , faults on box went and everything is smooth.
But I have the noise now ! it only happens when I lift of the accelerator at any speed. no noise when in neutral or park. did notice it only starts once the car temp has increased slightly. first pull away and a few junctions no noise then it appears.
 D3 HSE 57 Buckingham Blue
box re-build
new TC

common sense is not common 

Post #167447129th Jun 2016 7:11 am
RomP

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

JayKay696 wrote:
Ok, so from reading the whole thread it looks like the TC is the source of this noise.
Exact same sound as on martindg mp3, driving me up the wall, cars driving next to me looking at me with a 'shame, should have a bought a Toyota" look. Constantly feathering throttle to try avoid noise when driving in traffic. Seems to be getting worse, not louder, but more prevalent through wider range of speeds
So far this is what has been done to get rid of this noise:
1. front wheelbearings;
2. front discs/pads (they thought is might be scraping noise somewhere around the disc);
3. recon rear diff
After dealer and indie drove with electronic stethoscope they agreed it to be the front diff,
4. recon front diff;
then after more deliberation:
5. left front driveshaft/cv;
then after more guessing:
6. all pipes changed to silicone (possible hole/tear causing suction sound)
then:
7. intercooler (possible leak causing suction sound)
8. checked all heatshields for loose mountings or fixings.
9. Diagnostics apparently show no faults.
Now they say, most LR's do that, nothing they can do about it further.
Bottom line is, I cannot now afford to replace the TC with new. Everywhere i read advise is to not get a recon TC, will not last.
So as temporary fix I am going to try the ATF Protectant additive and Dr. Tranny.
My question is: Do i use just one tube (2oz) of Dr. Tranny and one bottle (10oz) of the ATF Protectant with the ATF.

Jay Kay,

Any feedback on the additives...I'm battling with same issues and ne TC here are just unaffordable, but common sense point to a TC replacement as the only fix...

Post #169435920th Aug 2016 7:42 pm
IOM man

Isle Of Man 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I had a recon torque converter fitted last week by a LR dealer (I supplied the parts) and my rattling when releasing the throttle and resonance/droning noise has now gone + the no more judder - all is quiet, smooth and my fuel consumption has improved Thumbs Up

Auto box oil changes and a few Dr T injections didn't take the noise away but did hold the the judder off for 12 - 18 months
 Current:
2010 Discovery 4 HSE TDV6
2020 Audi Q2 TSFI 40 Aline Quattro Black Edition
2006 Audi RS4 4.2 V8 - Toy in the garage Smile

Gone but not forgotten:

2006 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV6
2018 Lexus NX 300 F Sport Hybrid
2005 Discovery 3 HSE TDV6
2015 Discovery HSE Lux
200 Discovery TDI
300 Discovery TDI
Land Rover 90 2.5 Diesel
Series III SWB Land Rover 2.25 diesel
TD4 Freelander Kalahari
1.8 petrol Freelander 

Post #169437320th Aug 2016 8:01 pm
fqpvr6

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 3

MattTheTall77 wrote:
Here you go martindg, mp3 converted to youtube vid

bah, chopped loads off, back in a few minutes lol

Should be sorted now

Same exact noise on my 2007 Disco 3 Auto, with 95 k miles. I am reading the whole thread and it appears everyone is pointing at the TC. I had already ruled out the turbo as not being the source. Did anyone get any benefit with the anti chatter additives? If so could you post the product you used? It is worth a try. Also... I know this is not the right post but are there any links to typical idle engine noise on somewhere on the forum? I get a ticking noise that is most pronounced from the passenger side wheel arch only after the engine is warm. It is directly associated to the engine RPM.

Thank you very much!

Post #169836830th Aug 2016 11:41 pm
Weedyapl

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

As someone who has had a reman trans and TC installed in the last 9 months i can say if your expecting to have ALL of this metal/chattering noise disappear afterwards your prob gonna be disappointed.

I still have noise coming from the front left passenger side of engine bay but i put it down to turbo noise. The very loud grinding noise from underneath the car however has gone.

Personally im of the belief if your TC clutches got to a point they were badly worn there is a strong possibility it would have over heated the oil enough to damage your trans as well. You have no way to tell if thats the case either without pulling the transmission apart. If you go cheap route and your trans fails later on your gonna need to pay for all that labour and ATF again plus a reman trans/TC.

If your TC is not shuddering and your transmission is not slipping (when warm-hot) and you are keeping your transmission appropriately serviced every 60-80,000km or so. Stop worrying about it, ignore it and continue saving for other parts Laughing

Post #16988591st Sep 2016 7:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >