Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Transmission Range Change Unavailable + No Special Programs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Transmission Range Change Unavailable + No Special Programs

I've been occasionally getting these messages ever since I washed underneath my D3 after the Wiltshire meet.
I get a bong with this message, then another bongless message saying Special programs are not available.
It's not wrong, I can't change range and I can't dial in a terrain program Very Happy

From my understanding after scouring the forum this message can be caused by either :
A: Low battery voltage. It's possible, my battery's never been above 12V since I got the car (unless the engine's running and then it ranges between 13V and 14.5V).
B: Water in the transmission electrical connectors. It's possible, after low pressure jet-washing under there.

If anyone could confirm my suspicions or add to the list I'd appreciate it.

Now I've several electrical connectors I'd like to seal up on the underside of the vehicle, so I was wondering if anyone has ever used Liquid Electrical Tape?
It looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for to give those multiplugs in the wet zone some extra assistance in keeping the water out, but it'd be good to know someone has used it sucessfully before.

Many thanks.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #2208123rd Nov 2007 9:29 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

My first one used to do that. Switching off & on again (re-booting) used to clear it.
Not really sure what the cure was, but it stopped doing it after the software update (v13?) in 2006.

But your car should already be on a newer software version, so errr dunno.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #2208143rd Nov 2007 9:35 pm
stapldm

Thanks Dave,

In my case each time it's happened (occurences may be up to three weeks apart) then ctrl-alt-del brings the message back within a couple of minutes driving. It's always cleared once it's been left overnight.

Yep, the software should indeed be up to date - well it better be as mine's a 2007 Shocked
I may have to utilise your jacking point tips to get the car up and check the connectors. Thumbs Up

Anyone else had this fault that can add their own experiences?

Also can it be true of a forum of 3000+ members that no-one has ever used liguid electrical tape? It has all the hallmarks of looking like an ideal solution to the water ingress issues - which in my experience means it's got a really big flaw waiting in the wings...

_
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Post #2210154th Nov 2007 10:17 pm
SN

Ooo - like the look of Liquid Electrical Tape - in the example shown I would have perhaps used heatshrink. Thumbs Up

Not sure you'd want to a great load of connectors though - would be difficult getting them apart again if you needed to Confused
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #2210234th Nov 2007 10:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Only helpful suggestion I can make is:
Don't try & fix it yourself.
Put a digital camera in the car, and take a pic of the error message every time it occurs. Then print them all out and ask your dealer to fix, threatening possible rejection if they fail, on the grounds that you are not prepared to drive a potentially unsafe vehicle. (protect your future position).

Mine was fully cured soon after taking this approach, & I had over a year of motoring with no error mesages at all.
I had also taken pics of all the crap exposed wiring on the car, recording my concerns of future failure for which I would hold them responsible even outside warranty period as it didn't look like it had been designed with due skill & care or as if it was fit for purpose.

Dave
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #2210254th Nov 2007 10:27 pm
stapldm

SN wrote:
in the example shown I would have perhaps used heatshrink.

Yeah, I'd have used hot-melt glue loaded heatshrink for that too Thumbs Up

Good point on the connectors - if it can get into wires by capiliary effect, then it could permanently lock connectors together. Looks like real tape over the connector first to protect the join, then a full seal with the liquid stuff - which it appears is also available in aerosol form Very Happy

DaveT wrote:
Don't try & fix it yourself

Good advice Dave - I don't intend to. I'd just like to be armed with the latest detailed info when I get it to the dealers.
Long term, once waranty runs out, then I'll be making these waterproof, along with that control box in the engine that CaverD3 found only looked waterproof from the front Rolling Eyes

The message doesn't stay up long enough for me to find a safe pace to pull over and photo it; it self clears. Only one of the messages shows up when you press the 'i' button, but I take your point, I'll get a photo.

Thanks guys.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #2210424th Nov 2007 10:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >