Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Transmission range change not available
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ystervark

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Transmission range change not available

A new problem on the Landy... and not good timing! Plan was to use it next week to do a trip to Mozambique and this would have been its first off road adventure since ownership.

Since I'm not the every day driver I'm not 100% sure when it started, but i do suspect it was since the car had to be jumpstarted after standing a couple of days.

TDC im getting is P181B - Clutch actuator changeover solenoid - low.

The transmission range change message is instant after switching the car on before starting. After starting the trrain response is disabled.

I am however able to change to and from lowrange.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Its not battery. I can reset the TDC while the car is running (alternator charging good) and the error will instantly reappear.

And no other errors unlike the usual battery problem.

I checked the ECU and no visible signs of corrosion or water damage.

Its a 2005 tdv6...

Post #208319512th Sep 2019 6:23 am
beetroot

New Zealand 

I'm only new too D3 owner ship, but the 'low' part of the fault code will be low voltage detected I believe.

Did you remove the plug to the Transfer Box module and look at the connectors or just look at the outside?
I'd also look at the wiring to the change solenoid and see if there is any visible corrosion/issues.

If it is changing into low range ok, it's fair to assume the solenoid is working ok, there is just some electrical gremlin that is telling the system it's not working properly.
 Disco 2 - 1999 v8
Disco 1 - 1998 300tdi
Defender - 1996 300tdi

Rover 220 - 1998 L series (Land Rover engine so it somewhat counts) 

Post #209358519th Oct 2019 9:37 am
Ystervark

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

There is definitely some gremlin doing it's thing. I suspected the transfer position sensor and replaced it. Since replacing it I'm experiencing a different problem. It used to "bong" right after ignition on before starting the engine and display the range change error.

Since replacing the sensor it is happy after ignition on. But "bong" after starting the engine. Now the DTC is p0666 indicating a ECU internal temperature problem. From what i read in the morning the ECU temp should be similar to ambient temp. But its out by about by about 10deg celcius. The PCM and TCM internal temperature however is a close match. But this does not say the ambient is out. If anything both the ECUs are out.

So yes. No closer to a fully operational D3 since this problem is still disappearing the terrain response.

Post #209389120th Oct 2019 4:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >