Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Transmission Fault reversed E, Parking brake fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Timmermans

Transmission Fault reversed E, Parking brake fault

Hello,

I have here a discovery 3 2005 from a customer of me in the workshop with a lot of strange faults and difficult to find the real cause, maybe someone here can help me furhter.

The car came in and had no indication of gears anymore on the display, a yellow parking brake light, no rear lights and park sensors, and a lot of communication fault codes, and the engine doesn't run well anymore causing the battery light to come on also sometimes when the rpm dropped, in the BCM there are always fault codes from the beginning this customer came to me but there was nothing noticeble of them, faults had to do with electric seats and telescopic steering wheel.

What have i done up to know, (in the past replaced the alternator twice, battery is a few years old, now charging well 14.8 volts)
-Erased all codes to see what pops up first,...
-I checked the transmission ecu behind the battery, cleaned the contacts but they looked good
-Checked the connector under the cupholders of the middle console, looked good also
- Checked the 2 connectors at the back lhs wheel, the where a bit dirtier on the outside, but inside was clean and i cleaned them again
-I have also bypassed the yellow/brown and yellow/black can wires of this connector to be sure it's perfect
-After doing this i did the xy calibration as found here on the site, all gears were showing , no more issues
-Drove for 10 miles and then the reversed E came on the dash, followed by the yellow parking brake, when i read out the fault codes i have U0101-87 (parking brake module, when i put out the engine for 1 minute and start again everything works fine, i can erase fault codes that wont help i have to turn of ignition for 1 minute or so.

-It could happen before you drive, or after 20 meters, really unpredictable, but its always ok after restart

So now the fault codes that come every time are the U0101-87 (parking brake module), mostly also TCCM P174C-00 (y sensor), i checked live the x and y signal when the fault happend, the signals stayed perfectly the same

Sometimes i have U0159-87, and these have been there to 1 time U0155-87 / U0010-88 / U0100-87 / U0132-87 / U0159-87 )
In the BCM i have these ( B1B02-28 / B1B69-16 / B1B89-3A / B1C26-3A / B1C32-13 / B1C34-13)
It's not always the same, but the first 2 are allmost always there, only when the transsmission fault comes on dash

I started checking the cables that run on the left and right side next to the doors, left was not much to see, and right i found a loose 'grey' wire and a lot of splices with blue tape and they arent even soldered.
So i tought i found something real now.
The grey wire comes together twisted with a red wire (i searched in the wiring diagram and i think they are the Lin bus wires, the grey one is the GND), The red wire goes into a splice where 2 red ones go further to the back, and 1 red wire goes in the direction of the fusebox somewhere.
But i don't find any other grey wire or any indication of where it has been, maybe someone has pictures of it or could look in his car.

Probably it wouldn't solve the big problem with this car and only the BCM fault codes i think, but that's a start allready, after that i can take of all those blue tapes and solder them, and hopefully find something else.

I know its a big story, sorry for that but i hope someone could help Smile.

I have attached a picture so that you could see the grey wire, it comes with the red wire from the middle console.

Post #19901718th Oct 2018 10:42 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hm!! seems like a single fault is possibly causing all the problems. The areas I would check are - good earth in the engine bay, check of rear globes for dead ones (some fail and short out causing lots o problems) and finally the brake light switch. Hope that helps

Post #199087411th Oct 2018 8:44 am
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

One of you faults maybe that the XY sensor needs re-calibrating or replacing (Can be an indication of clutch slip if it has to be re-calibrated regularly)

There is a procedure to re-calibrate XY sensor in this tread:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/manual-gear...=XY+sensor
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #199088911th Oct 2018 10:02 am
Timmermans

Hello,

I replaced the yx sensor because i saw 1 time that the Y signal dropped to 0V, after replacing up till now no more faults. Did the calibration again.

Just 1 communication fault U0159-87 (communication with rear park sensors...) but everything works, no messages on screen anymore.

Post #199511826th Oct 2018 1:09 pm
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Good result! Thumbs Up
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #199522826th Oct 2018 7:57 pm
conman69

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Any update on this, having issues myself now Big Cry
 Discovery3 TDV6 GS
Disco3.co.uk front orange +white tailgate stickers
Belts, pulleys, oil pump replaced, double tow-bar electrics
Land Rover rubber mats throughout, tinted windows, wind deflectors, smoked side repeaters, retro fitted Garmin, smooth leather steering wheel, cruise control + radio switches, 19" HSE wheels, Bearmech side-tubes, BAS IFBH module, roofbars.
LML Star Deluxe 

Post #211648728th Jan 2020 1:23 pm
conman69

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Oswiperus wrote:
Good result! Thumbs Up

Wrong thread Rolling Eyes
 Discovery3 TDV6 GS
Disco3.co.uk front orange +white tailgate stickers
Belts, pulleys, oil pump replaced, double tow-bar electrics
Land Rover rubber mats throughout, tinted windows, wind deflectors, smoked side repeaters, retro fitted Garmin, smooth leather steering wheel, cruise control + radio switches, 19" HSE wheels, Bearmech side-tubes, BAS IFBH module, roofbars.
LML Star Deluxe 

Post #211649028th Jan 2020 1:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >