Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Trailer Plug
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SMK

Australia 
Trailer Plug

Can anyone tell me the relationship (schematic)between the fuse panel for the trailer plug and the actual plug pin configuration (black one). The reason I ask is that when plugging my camper trailer into the car all the lights on the trailer and the rear light cluster on the car come on and stay on. By removing the 7.5 amp fuse for the fog lights?? this all goes away and the lights on the trailer work fine but it appears that pin 2 (charge) goes dead and hence I cannot charge the batteries. Putting a meter on the live plug gives no power on 2 but power to 5. This does not make a lot of sense but it does happen. Trailer manufacturer reckons his plug is right and pin 2 is charge and pin 5 is electric brakes. Consulting with LR to date has got me a handout saying I need a pulse shunt installed because I have LED lights on the trailer. Not sure this is related! Anybody come across a similiar problem or had issues with LED lights on trailer and had to fix it with a pulse shunt.

Post #16125424th May 2007 5:12 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not sure about AUS wiring, but the connection you mention for aux charge appears on the white socket (12s) in UK, all the mandatory lights are on the black socket (12n) for info on LED's do a search for 'LED trailer lights' Wink

Post #16125924th May 2007 5:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

This may help depending on how much it differs down under...

Pin  Cable Colour   12N Connector Function     12S Connector Function *

1    Yellow         Left Indicator             Reverse Lamps
2    Blue           Fog Lamps (if fitted)      Spare
3    White          Ground                     Ground for pin 4
4    Green          Right Indicator            Permanent 12V power / charge
5    Brown          Right Side / Taillamp      Spare
6    Red            Brake Lamps                Fridge
7    Black          Left Side / Taillamp       Ground for pin 6

12N connectors are normally coloured black. Pins 2, 5 and 7 in the plug are female, others are male.

12S connectors are normally coloured white. Pins 2 and 5 in the plug are female, others are male.

Note that the 12N and 12S ground wiring must not be connected together and must be connected to the towing vehicle separately via the associated connector.

* 12S pinouts to post 1999 European standard. Pre-1999 caravans are wired differently
 The End  
Post #16127824th May 2007 6:29 pm
catweasel

when you say all the lights, do you mean the indicators aswell or just the tail/brake lamps come on. perhaps there is a fault with your light switch as you should not have power at pin 2 unless your light switch is set to fog (knob pulled back two clicks)
pin 2 is also used for trailer reversing lamps if no fogs and pin 5 is used for RH tail light according to the cct diag
do you have another trailer to try it out on and see if you get the same result.
SMK you also have a PM

Post #16137225th May 2007 2:43 am
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Re: Trailer Plug

SMK wrote:
Can anyone tell me the relationship (schematic)between the fuse panel for the trailer plug and the actual plug pin configuration (black one). The reason I ask is that when plugging my camper trailer into the car all the lights on the trailer and the rear light cluster on the car come on and stay on. By removing the 7.5 amp fuse for the fog lights?? this all goes away and the lights on the trailer work fine but it appears that pin 2 (charge) goes dead and hence I cannot charge the batteries. Putting a meter on the live plug gives no power on 2 but power to 5. This does not make a lot of sense but it does happen. Trailer manufacturer reckons his plug is right and pin 2 is charge and pin 5 is electric brakes. Consulting with LR to date has got me a handout saying I need a pulse shunt installed because I have LED lights on the trailer. Not sure this is related! Anybody come across a similiar problem or had issues with LED lights on trailer and had to fix it with a pulse shunt.

SMK,
I rewired mine so I had all the necessary wiring (including the live battery charge for my camper trailer) coming from the one plug.
It all works really well.

Post #16151625th May 2007 1:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >