Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Toyota Prius - Thinking of getting one
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

That's a hard one to get your mouth around Confused
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #4784709th Jun 2009 10:51 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I would go for SMart CDi m8 it should be 0 for road tax no congestion and no need to recycle super expensive battey when it goes Censored and it looks cool too

prius should be made a compulsory target for green people and RPG training as it's production is almost 3x more environmentally unfriendly than production of D3 lol what a piece of crap

cheers

Post #4784809th Jun 2009 11:07 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

a good frugal diesel is way more eco friendly than a prius, don't do it mate, look at all the hollywood muppets having one just so they can pretend to be green..

Post #4784849th Jun 2009 11:19 am
IKke

Netherlands 

If I remeber correctly a tank is also very cheap in taxes and no congestion charge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St5AWK0xxhk&feature=related from 2 minutes onwards.

Post #4785409th Jun 2009 1:06 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I would have though a small diesel would be better, definately cheaper to buy and better made.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4785419th Jun 2009 1:07 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

It has nothing to do with me being environmental, it is purely a tax issue. A Prius and fuel benefit has hardly any benefit in kind charge. It is congestion zone free and also it is 100% corporation tax deductable.

It is just for work, but because I may use it for commuting from home any car will attract company car benefit and fuel benefit. The batteries are guaranteed for 8 years, so no worries there either. It also has to be an automatic, which limits the choice on CO2 basis.

The other option is believe it or not a 1.6 Multi Jet Dual Logic diesel Fiat Bravo, which has 120g CO, so £35 road tax and very low benefit in kind. I searched on http://www.comcar.co.uk/ for the cheapest car to have.

Remember this is not for the fun of driving, it's like buying a screwdriver for work, it has to do a reasonable job at the best price.

Post #4785479th Jun 2009 1:13 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

As you are part owner of the business, the overall cost to the business and you personally is going to be the decider here.

I take it you'll write down the Fiat in the usual way, which means recovering the cost against tax over a number of years, while the Pompous is a one-hit writedown. With the higher initial purchase cost of the Ponderous, is it still the better bet? One for your accountant I think. Confused
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #4785499th Jun 2009 1:17 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Countrywide,

My wife drives a Prius, it was delivered April 2008 and she has covered about 8000 kms until now.

The fuel economy numbers that are advertised are too optimistic but in the city, the car runs quite economical. Believe it or not, on the motorway the economy isn't better than a normal small petrol car because the relatively small engine is doing all the work at that point. The mpg is still quite good for a petrol car, but cannot compare to a good diesel.

She absolutely loves it. Toyota in general is a reliable motor and so is the Prius. Not any probs with it so far except from the pdc sound being too faint (had that fixed first week FOC). But I'd expect it to be without fault with only 8000 kms.

We have the 'middle' version so not the Tech one with the self-parking aid. Dealer said it sucks so we're not trying that out Wink

Officially I have the Prius as my company car, for tax reasons only. I don't drive it IRL though. It is actually a good drive (but no V8-vibe and permagrin).

I can't help you on deducting what to do regarding diesel or petrol, or which is the better car financially. I'm not familiar with UK (tax) law and/or your personal and business situation/reasons.

And c'mon you guys, CW is looking at this from cost perspective only and asking if this is a good car. I find it a bit cheap to go bashing the Prius where it actually is a good car, just 'cos it's not a D3. I'm not getting into the 'overall environmental damage' discussion. I asked the dealer and obviously he's not confirming this. As our governments either ignores this discussion or knows better (I don't know which but pick your choice) and therefore is sponsoring the owners of this car, you'd be a fool not to take profit. You all try to get as much tax refund as possible, no matter whether you're entitled to it or not.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #4788949th Jun 2009 7:52 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Wiljo,

I'm not bashing the Prius as its not a D3, merely dont like them, thats what a public forum is for Thumbs Up

However, given Andy's personal situation I would doubt having a car 'of that ilk' would not really make much different to him.

As for non D3, I have an A4 Diesel for the 'Work' car........the car of cocks!
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #4788989th Jun 2009 8:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Neil,

I wasn't talking to anyone in specific, just noticed this thread going into name-calling and discussions that are beside the point CW was getting too. So 'none taken' Very Happy .

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #47920510th Jun 2009 5:45 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

The Tesla Roadster is an option maybe. At least nobody will laugh about you.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #47933210th Jun 2009 11:37 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Countrywide, you may as well go the whole hog and hack the car to allow it to be recharged from the mains overnight; this will cut your fuel cost even further, especially if you have economy7/ecoonomy10 leccie at home.
I assume this would be beneficial to you tax wise?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #47934510th Jun 2009 12:06 pm
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Sorry not been on for a few days...

Sig says it all really, I have the Prius as I do 900 miles business and commuting a week (offices in Leicester and Crawley, hame in Herts). It is a fully expensed car, lease rate is significantly under my allowance so the company gives me some cash back, and the tax on a Tspirit is about £60 a month BIK and £65 a month fuels benefit. I get long term average of 45 mpg, and that includes 3 days a week western M25 car park.

Basically it is a comfortable family car, but for me is a tool to do my job, I have done 19k miles in it since November, no aches pains or backache, stereo is good, sat nav better apart from it doesn't do postcodes. Aircon failed at about 14k miles, apparentlt took a stone through the heat exchanger so the refrigerant escaped, all fixed under warranty. Boot is small, and CVT makes it a bit weird to start with.

Reading the mags, the new Insight is better than the Civic saloon, and as good as the old Prius, but the consensus is the new Prius is much better. If you are taking it as a company car, take a hydrid as the tax is silly, if you are funding yourself on an allowance, a small diesel may well be cheaper as you can by one for less then half the price with the current deals.

Happy to talk further anytime.
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #48017911th Jun 2009 10:14 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Thanks, this would be purely a company funded car, so it is the benefit in kind that would be the issue Thumbs Up .

Like you it would be just a work tool, hence I don't want to spend money on it which I could have more fun with elsewhere

Post #48018411th Jun 2009 10:23 pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Change jobs so you dont`t have to go into London Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 I can resist everything except TEMPTATION
Can Am Commander 1000XT
Seen the light and bought a 4Motion T5 

Post #48018511th Jun 2009 10:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >