Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Towing Issues?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mudcred

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Towing Issues?

I've just bought the car a week ago and i thought i would try it out towing. Whilst towing i found that the trailer was fishtailing aswell as the car rolling, i checked the trailer tyre pressure and had a trailer service yet the problem still occured tonight. I checked the tyres and realised there is uneven tyre wear on the inside rear. Could this be causing this, and if so why are the tyres wearing unevenly? Has anybody else been faced with this problem?

Many Thanks Alex
 Discovery 3 tdv6, Java Black, Sat Nav, DVD.

Snorkel and MT/R'S

TD5 defender 90 Off Road Challenge Truck 

Post #30125220th May 2008 10:06 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Your Disco handles fine without the trailer ?

And Rolling as in side to side, maybe rear suspension damage

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #30126020th May 2008 10:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

get the bushes and tracking checked could be a warrenty isue.

Post #30126520th May 2008 10:32 pm
hernan1304

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR3

The uneven tyre wear is a common issue - do a search of the forums and you should find a lot of info on the subject.

Post #30130621st May 2008 5:29 am
mrmarklin

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

Trailer swaying? Get an anti-sway bar. I wouldn't tow anything without one. Shocked
 '06 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Heavy Duty package, Satellite Radio, Luxury Package  
Post #30130721st May 2008 5:42 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

I Had the same issues, it turned out to be the wrong tyre load rating, they were tyres rated for a Range Rover. the deler fitted the right ones and the issue has gone away. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #30144821st May 2008 1:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mudcred

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The disocovery seems to handle fine without the trailer although a slighty tyre screech in fast corners, is that normal, it may just be that the tyres have little inner tread.

Thanks, Alex
 Discovery 3 tdv6, Java Black, Sat Nav, DVD.

Snorkel and MT/R'S

TD5 defender 90 Off Road Challenge Truck 

Post #30164321st May 2008 9:47 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

As stated above mine was also fine without caravan on back, but hook it up and it was a diffrent story. Fine no with correct load rated tyres. Should be 111 or higher Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #30164921st May 2008 9:59 pm
tyke65

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This sounds obvious but the problem needs to be isolated to the car or the caravan. Can you :-

a Tow a different caravan with you D3?
b Tow your caravan with a different car?

Any problems could be caused by either car or caravan (or a bit of both, of course). I assume that you have thoroughly checked all the possible variables, tyres, pressures, loading and so on. The pitching sounds like the nose weight may be too low. It should be as high as possible without exceeding any limits.

You haven't mentioned which caravan you are towing and how near fully loaded it is. It's unlikely that you would need a stabiliser with a D3 though most vans come with them these days.
 Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.  
Post #30175622nd May 2008 7:49 am
al cope

England 

Given the kerb wieght of the D3, unless your trailer was seriously heavy/out of balance, it should tow fine without a stabiliser, as all this does is mask an issue.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #30175822nd May 2008 7:56 am
ryetecman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
disco 3 towing

Tow lots with a Disco 3 with all sorts of trailers but mainly a 21' triaxle, in my opinion drawbar height is your problem, especailly if you have a twin or triaxle trailer. Had a detachable tow bar on mine to start with and it was too low for the trailer, had all the problems you describe. Change it for multi-height and raised it to top position, like driving a different truck.

Also need to avoid to much weight at the back of the trailer otherwise it act like a giant pendulum on the back of the car. With the propper set up a Disco 3 should not need a stabiliser, just make sure that when loaded the trailer is level or very slightly higherat the front, best thing about Disco for towing (providing your riding on air !) is that the ride height doesn't change between loaded and unloaded. so you can set tow bar height when trailer is empty, and it doesn't change what ever loading you have on trailer.

Saw a Disco 3 on M25 a few weeks ago with a car transporter and car, detachable towbar, trailer pointing down at front (therefore weight of car trying to lift back of disco) as soon as he got over 45, started to snake and needed new underware Sad , passes him at 65 with 3.5 ton on the back Laughing
 Love landrovers despite all the've thrown at me !  
Post #3050531st Jun 2008 8:05 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 
Re: disco 3 towing

ryetecman wrote:

Also need to avoid to much weight at the back of the trailer otherwise it act like a giant pendulum on the back of the car. With the propper set up a Disco 3 should not need a stabiliser, just make sure that when loaded the trailer is level or very slightly higherat the front,:

Got to disagree with the comment that it is OK for the trailer to be slightly higher. It should never be higher as wind pressure can get under the trailer and lift it, this causes negative noseweight and can induce snaking. The trailer should always sit level or preferably low, as this improves stability at speed.

Post #3052122nd Jun 2008 8:44 am
Fatboy Slim

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Regularly tow up to the 3.5t limit. Found the detachable tow bar far too low for any twin axled trailer. Multi height better but still a little low for some applications even on the top setting.

Post #3060473rd Jun 2008 7:09 pm
jez33m

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

In My Opinon You Need To Move The Car Either Backwards Or Forwards On The Trailer Bed,Try Weighing How Much Weight You Are Putting On The TowBall,This Can Be Done Useing Bathroom Scales And A Length Of Wood Placed In Between Tow Hitch And Scales When In Place Lift The Jockey Wheel Ang Take Note Of The Weight,I Think But Not Sure The Weight Pushing Onto The TowBall Should Not Exeed 75Kg. Hope This Helps!!!!!I hadThe Same Problem With My Trailer Which Is A Ifor Williams CT177 Car Transporter,I Had The Car To Far Forward,Moved It Back About 12inchs And Now It Tows Like A Dream!!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #3073396th Jun 2008 7:17 pm
andih

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hey all.
well ive driven well over 500k miles with loaded ifors. and yep, the load distribution is critical. ive had to shift stuff with little choice and trust me, def new underpants time!!!
always found out that better if the trailer is slightly nose down.
yep, removeable tow bar great for cvans, even my t/a senator, but for proper trailers, way too low, there again its an easy enough job to actualy change the hitch height on the trailer!!!!!!!
also i think you may find that the max nose weight for a d3 is 150kg. but you can whip my ass if im wrong on that one lol.
am sure the D2 was 110kg.
hey its late and im tired so i may be wrong tho lol
 2008 D3 SE auto, Java black
Previous ‘ermy' 2007 D3 tdv6 xs java black,
formerly 'eeyore' 1992 D1 200tdi heavily mod
'cherry' 2000 D2 td5 slightly mod. my lil baby for 4 yrs

its nice to be important, but more important to be nice 

Post #31068015th Jun 2008 11:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >