Towing Hitch Lost Key
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
sixfooter

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
PM sent Thumbs Up

Hi Gareth,

I've recently purchased a detachable towbar from ebay and it was delivered with a key broken in the lock... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
I contacted the seller of the towbar who sent me a replacement lock and set of keys for it...

My question is simple...how do I replace the existing lock fitted to the detachable towbar with the new lock and keys I've received...??

You can PM me with the answer for security reasons...

The towbar is detached from the vehicle and I've failed to remove the broken key from the fitted lock...

Really apprecaite any help you can prvide as want to fit the towbar this weekend...

Post #49702417th Jul 2009 6:34 pm
KOOS BEST

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi to all, pse pse pse can anybody help me re. to remove the towbar, keys lost, bought an aftermarket Front Runner and need to replace it with the new type.
Pse pse pse somebody help and send me a PM re how to remove a towbar without the key.
Regards

Post #72007123rd Nov 2010 7:15 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Please Please Please can NOBODY divulge how to remove the towbar on this forum, too many are being stolen and ending up on ebay.

If you have a problem with this reply, speak to a moderator or owner.

If you want to know how to remove a towbar/replace a key, then take it to LR and proove ownership. They will sell you a replacement Lock and then you will obviously know how to do what you need.

Post #72007323rd Nov 2010 7:20 pm
KOOS BEST

MacLeod 313 wrote:
Please Please Please can NOBODY divulge how to remove the towbar on this forum, too many are being stolen and ending up on ebay.

If you have a problem with this reply, speak to a moderator or owner.

If you want to know how to remove a towbar/replace a key, then take it to LR and proove ownership. They will sell you a replacement Lock and then you will obviously know how to do what you need.

This is excactly the reason for joining a forum, I am in a predicament and cant find the key, I need to remove the POS towhitch to fit a proper one.
Sorry MacLeod , I dont understand your post for not giving out this info.I live in Africa and we live sometimes hours from the nearest dealer, the only way we can get info is via forums like this.
Its a bit selfish, and not very helpfull.
Down here we will act very differently , WE WILL GIVE OUT INFO TO HELP SOMEBODYps, Why will ANYBODY want to steal such a useless piece of accesory?

Post #72007523rd Nov 2010 7:28 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

KOOS BEST wrote:
Why will ANYBODY want to steal such a useless piece of accesory?

Because there's a healthy (?) market for them second hand, at over GBP 100 each..

As an open public forum, and given the above, can you see why it's not a good idea to share the details of how to remove the tow bar without the key in full public view?

The advice in your situation is to order a new lock and keys from a dealer/parts retailer (roughly GBP 8 in the UK) which includes details of how to change it in situ.

This also has the benefit that you will have a complete tow bar with keys which you could sell on.

We are here to help Thumbs Up But not to make it easy for the criminals who are also about Sad
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #72008123rd Nov 2010 7:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I can understand your argument, and being in a remote Land and area can be a pain.....But this forum reaches out to many lands and areas, that sadly feed info to low life that want to make a few bob out of things they can thieve.

If yours, or anybodys is a genuine LR removable towbar, why not contact TLO for a replacement lock and barrel set, you will see how easy it is then and he'll post worldwide too.

**EDIT** Embarassed posted after the Boss took the words from my mouth Embarassed

Post #72008223rd Nov 2010 7:35 pm
KOOS BEST

So why cant you send me a PM how to remove the damm thing and chuck it away.
I need to remove the thing , and fit a PROPER TOWHITCH.

I am lost for words really.

Post #72008623rd Nov 2010 7:43 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I cant quite understand all the cloak and dagger as it is not exactly rocket science you have already told the criminal all you have to do is buy a lock kit and the instructions are in there so why not tell him.I will pm you the procedure.
And just a suggestion to Mac if your paranoid about losing your towbar take it off when your not using it like it was designed for.

Post #72011723rd Nov 2010 8:23 pm
KOOS BEST

popsdosh wrote:
I cant quite understand all the cloak and dagger as it is not exactly rocket science you have already told the criminal all you have to do is buy a lock kit and the instructions are in there so why not tell him.I will pm you the procedure.
And just a suggestion to Mac if your paranoid about losing your towbar take it off when your not using it like it was designed for.

Could not agree more..
Mac , if yours are stolen , I will courier mine from Africa for free, all you got to do is pay the postage.
ps. Now that I know how to remove it.

Post #72030024th Nov 2010 7:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >