Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Towing Electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 
Towing Electrics

A quick question for all you tintenters out there.

Have any of you removed the 2 'N' and 'S' type sockets fitted to the back of your D3 and replaced them with the new 13 pin 'Euro' type socket?

I've ordered a new tintent and, being new, it's fitted with a 13 pin Euro plug.

I know I can use an adapter but replacing the sockets would be a neater solution so was just wondering if anybody has already done it and how easy (or otherwise) it was to do.

Many Thanks

Paul Bow down Bow down
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #5482669th Nov 2009 12:05 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Yep, did it in September for new tintent. Was easy enough to do, both cables fit in the new socket. Only thing is the fog light switch in the socket is not there, so your rear fogs will stay on.

I bought my socket from Tow Sure.

Post #5482709th Nov 2009 12:21 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that countrywide. Not sure what you mean about the foglight switch though Confused

Do you mean relay Question

I've got a wiring diagram for the old 12N socket that mentions using relays if you aren't using the manufacturer's wiring kit but mine was factory fitted so I assume I am. Don't want to Censored off following motorists by having rear fogs on all the time - they get Censored off enough just following a caravan Laughing
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #5482779th Nov 2009 12:44 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

On the old 7 pin, you will notice there is a little switch which is activated when you put the socket in, this switches off the rear fog lights on the car when a trailer or caravan is attached to stop reflection off van etc. the 13 pin sockets apparently don't have this yet, so you need to connect the two wires to the switch together or the rear fogs won't work in the car.

Other than that it is just a pin swap as you move from the 7 to 13 pin socket. The 13 pin is tighter on space though, so make sure they can't short out if the insulation is stripped too far back.

Post #5482829th Nov 2009 12:50 pm
tintenter

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

you can get a 13 pin replacement from TLO about £77 i believe that is a straight swap into the loom as considering it my self and converting the caravan plug to match so would free up a space for anderson plug in the rear bumper
 Tintenter
Corris Grey Discovery 4 HSE

Bigger permagrin now installed

Semper in excretum, sole profundum moveat. 

Post #5483119th Nov 2009 1:34 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Countrywide - I understand now. Makes perfect sense that too. I've never looked that closely at the sockets so wouldn't know if there is a switch there or not. I've never had to use my rear fogs when towing either so can't say if the rear fogs on the car come on or not. A thought has just struck me too - I always check out my lights when first hitching up but have never checked the fogs Embarassed .

Tintenter, I've looked at the LR wiring instructions for both flavours of towing electrics and it looks as though your belief that the sockets are a straight swap is absolutely right. The fitting instructions for the first part of the wiring (the bit that goes in in removable towbar stowage area) in each set of instructions is identical.

I think I'll drop TLO a pm!

Many thanks Thumbs Up

Paul

Post #5483229th Nov 2009 1:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >