Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tow Bar Electrics - again....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
flatline

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Tow Bar Electrics - again....

Apologies, but I'm marooned at work on a vessel in the North Sea right now - so the Disco3 forum is my easiest option, being unable to telephone/visit my local dealer to ask all the silly questions first...

So... I'd like to add towing electrics to my air-suspension 2007 TDV6. It's for a motorcycle trailer, so I'm assuming I only need the single 7-pin socket. The N & S type towing electrics appear to have 2 x 7-pin sockets.... also, being air suspended, do I need to visit my LR dealer to re-program the suspension/parking sensors, or will a modicum of common sense suffice (i.e. switch off the parking sensors and look over my shoulder)?

Ideally, I'd like to fit a single 13-pin socket so that it's more in line with any likely requirements in the future, be it for me, or the next owner.

Am I ok with the single 7-pin kits advertised on e-bay as being vehicle-specific for the Discovery3, or should I seek a single 13-pin kit (with a 7-pin adaptor, if req.) - does anyone know the LR part # for this?

Help much appreciated, I'm 'home' in a couple of weeks, and would like to get the stuff ordered, & ready for me to fit when I get home.

Many thanks in advance for the guidance/advice Thumbs Up

edit: found some info in the Wiki section, and also some on-line. LR part # YWJ 500211 is listed as a 13-pin wiring kit, but some peeps state that it's not for GB & IRL model cars....

Post #65268625th May 2010 5:18 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

IMHO, I would contact TLO (The Large One, parts manager at Yeovil Land Rover) http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member2459.html and get a 13 pin towing electrics kit from him. I don't know the part number but he will. A lot of the ones sold on fleabay are advertised as 'genuine' but they're nowhere near the same quality as the real thing.

It comes in 2 parts, one part is common to both the 7-pin and 13-pin kits, includes the fuse box and plugs into the car's wiring loom behind the panel in the LH side of the load compartment. The wiring from the fuse box is then routed out through existing holes behind the LH rear light cluster (which you have to remove). The 2nd part is simply plugged into the first part in a space below the light cluster, having first routed it behind the rear bumper and LH damper weight.

Here are the LR fitting instructions http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...Towing.pdf

I did this job myself last December and the only 'tricky' bit was getting the cable to go behind the damper weight - there is a slightly raised part of the bumper behind there that the plugs on the loom snag on Evil or Very Mad

As for having the car's systems reprogrammed, find someone with a FaultMate MSV (such as Wiggs) to do this for you. Other peeps have not bothered doing this though and seem to have no problems. A good test methinks would be to try reversing the car with the trailer attached and connected. If the reverse sensors go mad as soon as you select reverse, reprogramming will be needed Laughing
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #65270725th May 2010 8:10 am
flatline

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Nice one, just what I was hoping to hear - will 'phone TLO this afternoon - cheers Thumbs Up

Post #65279625th May 2010 11:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >