DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Total loss of power and engine shut down again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Total loss of power and engine shut down again

Hi,

problems started today again. Total loss of power and engine shut down 3 times when driving on highway. Very dangerous fault since it can happen ANYTIME. I had my whole family with me lut the grandparents, total 7 persons. Imagine if it comes when bypassing a truck and opposing trafic is netting nearer - too many would die !

Those shutdowns occurred during 190 km trip, 3 times. My speed today was about 100 km/h, temperature +5 and the road was dry. tHE FIRST error message was "HDC fault", the seconf was "Terrain response off" and after those the power faded away and car stopped. Ignition off and restart cleared the problem each time but after 50-70 km it came again.

My car had recall about a week ago because of the same issues but looks that nobody, even the LR factory guys don't have clue how to fix it !

These faults make me to think one thing: Does anyone know that when does the new BMW X5 model came ? Will it be 7 seater ?

Shocked Shocked Shocked
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #526739th Apr 2006 6:44 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear about your woes... Sounds scarry too !

Anyway, if you intend to do ANY off-roading, stay clear of the X5... It is a four wheel drive "à la Quattro" but not a car to be used out of the tarmac...

Look for the Mercedes GL instead... It comes out in september probably and will be a seven seater...

Post #526769th Apr 2006 7:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
OffRoader

actually I would just like to keep my Disco 3, in many aspects it's a great car - but these engine system/electric faults are really scary. I really hope that LR will find a way to fix it.

This start to get to be similar LOVE - HATE relationship as Defender owners tend to have too.. Laughing Evil or Very Mad
Post #526789th Apr 2006 7:16 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

It sounds like some ECU is giving a bad information to another somewhere, sometimes... Could be a faulty connector somewhere...

The dealership did not detect anything using the T4 ?

Post #526799th Apr 2006 7:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
OffRoader

yep

Well, they indeed did something (changing air sensor + SW updates) and the result was that it is much worse now.

Previously I had that "total loss of power" issue 3 times during 10000 km. Today I had it 3 times during 190 km !

Complex things are hard to fix.
Post #526869th Apr 2006 8:10 pm
minicabelemet

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I had the same problem(HDC..., System...,No programs....) with my MY06 with only 400miles on the clock. It was terifiying! The austrian LR engineers told me that the turbo is kaput. Once back to UK, I had it replaced and no more "System errors". It would be good to have the software upgraded to Version 13 patch 5. I was going to buy the new X5 (which will be slighty longer and as an option will have (as far as I know) the 7seats. Unfortunatelly it goes on sale in 2007. Too long to wait.

Post #527009th Apr 2006 8:54 pm
chex

i think this is due to a turbo fault

read this

http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1681

Post #527149th Apr 2006 11:06 pm
MX

United Kingdom 

I just had my turbo replaced for exactly the same symptoms. LR did not want to do it, but I have a good relationship with the service team and the manager decided that he trusted his technician more than LR ...... turbo fitted and 500 miles later no problems
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #5273010th Apr 2006 9:03 am
OffRoader

that "LR did not want to do it" sounds amazing.
Vendors who are making cars to such relatively high price tiers as Discovery 3 is, should try to do anything to keep their customers satisfied.
How would the customers came then back again to buy the next Land Rover ? The goal should be to keep customers so satisfied that they will buy at least 10 times the same vendor's product in sequence Razz
Post #5276710th Apr 2006 12:01 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I had a slight fright yesterday which, though not as bad as others reported, still was the first worrying moment with my one month old D3.

I was driving down a moderately steep hill through a village on cruise control. After rounding a corner I accelerated slightly but it seemed there was no power (I can't say now whether I had braked before the corner). I thought immediately of the problems which have been described here. Luckily I was able to pull in to an opening. However, then, without even stopping, I was able to drive away again and everything seemed fine. And I haven't had any trouble since.

Whether this was a real problem or just some figment of my imagination (did I push the accelerator enough?), I cannot say. It was slightly disconcerting at the time.

Eric

Post #5284710th Apr 2006 10:49 pm
OffRoader

Grounding cable ?

I got my Disco back from the service today. Analysis was that there was very loosely connected grounding cable behind the engine. It could have resulted that some of the computers have not always got grounding, resulting to those error messages and engine shutdowns. Let's see if that theory is the right one. This means that I didn't got a new Turbo.

Annoying thing is that most likely this grounding problem has always been in there, generating several problems but it was not discovered before my 4th visit. More careful inspection and repair immediately on the first visit could have prevented all this mess. Or in the Toyota way - making it right directly in the factory so that there won't be a need even to the very first trip to the service.

Offroader
Post #5295011th Apr 2006 7:44 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I suspect that "a bad ground" is used too many times as an excuse my dealers that can't really find the fault. I agree that bad grounds was a problem on cars 20 years ago, but I doubt if this is the case on many modern cars. Aren't the ground connections normally covered over with sealant and paint nowadays anyway?
 Matt  
Post #5295111th Apr 2006 7:50 pm
mbc

Has this happened to anyone with a normally aspirated engine

or is this a turbo diesel issue?

Thanks

MBC

Post #5320612th Apr 2006 9:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >