Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Torq Tune Re-Map
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Is that true in all circumstances? As you saw mine had an EGR fault stored last week, and presumably still has it now, so will it be running at a lower performance? What's the logic behind the ECU altering the performance in the event of an EGR problem? Is it a detectable change?
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #2814172nd Apr 2008 11:17 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I cleared your EGR DTC Wink therefore you should be running at 100% Torq-Tune. Most EGR faults are transient so a good dose of brake cleaner (to remove the carbon deposits) should restore the EGR to full operation and clear the DTC's, with blanked-off EGR's this obviously only needs to be done once

Post #2814212nd Apr 2008 11:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

10forcash wrote:
The problem is, regardless of whether the EGR's are blanked or not, once a DTC relating to the EGR's is stored, then the engine will operate at a lower performance level - tuned or not. So there are two solutions

You mention that the faults are often transient. I presume the fault code will remain on record once the fault self-clears, but would the performance remain "muted" or would the ECU recognise the fault wasn't ongoing and revert to normal running?

In other words, if there had been previous EGR faults recorded would it be enough to clean the EGRs and fit the blanking plate or would you need to get any outstanding fault codes cleared before fitting the plate?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2815223rd Apr 2008 8:49 am
Berlin Warrior

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just a quick update,

Mrs BW now averaging 31.1 mpg on a school run week.

Embarassed a RRS HSE last weekend Thumbs Up Laughing

Diesel now up to €1.33 / litre in Berlin Mad
 Knowledge & Reason - the arch enemy of faith

MY2008, Java Black TDV6 HSE, Alpaca with straight grain Wood, 19" alloys, fully loaded with all the toys Smile

Discovery 3, you know it makes sense. 

Post #28947221st Apr 2008 2:44 pm
10forcash

NoDo$h wrote:
In other words, if there had been previous EGR faults recorded would it be enough to clean the EGRs and fit the blanking plate or would you need to get any outstanding fault codes cleared before fitting the plate?
Transient faults are stored as hard faults if they occur on consecutive ignition cycles, this varies depending upon the severity of the fault. For EGR's I *think* the threshold is three, after this, the DTC's would need to be cleared

BW - cheers for the feedback Thumbs Up

Post #28947521st Apr 2008 2:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Berlin Warrior wrote:

I paid £1.26 for Diesel on the M6 this weekend - that's EUR1.56 I think Confused . At least with the Torq Tune you know the engine is making the most of the fuel Laughing
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #28948621st Apr 2008 3:24 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

ridgeback_moor wrote:
I paid £1.26 for Diesel on the M6 this weekend - that's EUR1.56 I think Confused .

I can remember when we were all complaining about fuel reaching the £1 a litre mark, won't be long before it's £1.50 and no one will do anything about it Evil or Very Mad

Post #28948821st Apr 2008 3:29 pm
Berlin Warrior

ridgeback_moor wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:

I paid £1.26 for Diesel on the M6 this weekend - that's EUR1.56 I think Confused . At least with the Torq Tune you know the engine is making the most of the fuel Laughing

Prices do fluctuate her quite a bit, just looked at my local and it's €1.29 today, It was €1.36 on Friday. They have sales here as well. A local garage had a "tax fee" fuel happy hour the other day, qeues were a nightmare.

MY2008, Java Black TDV6 HSE, Alpaca with straight grain Wood, 19" alloys, fully loaded with all the toys Smile

Post #28949021st Apr 2008 3:30 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Berlin Warrior wrote:
A local garage had a "tax fee" fuel happy hour the other day, qeues were a nightmare.

That'd make our UK fuel about 35p a litre without tax Shocked BRING IT ON 8) Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up You'd save enough for the Torq-Tune as well Wink Thumbs Up

Post #28949821st Apr 2008 3:36 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

The thought of it!!! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #28949921st Apr 2008 3:37 pm
Berlin Warrior

BrumLee wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:
A local garage had a "tax fee" fuel happy hour the other day, qeues were a nightmare.

That'd make our UK fuel about 35p a litre without tax Shocked BRING IT ON 8) Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up

Indeed, and yet another tax scam designed by the Govt. in the Govt's favour. We are told that tax on a litre of diesel is about 65%, what they fail to point out is that, that is the price at the pump, whereas in actual fact duty is now getting on for 300% of the cost of a litre in the tanker.

Supermarkets call that economic model "profit" the Govt call it Tax and the UK electorate sit back and let the Govt "drop anchor in poo bay" every time with complete apathy towards the good reaming that they get and then bitch and moan when Hauliers et al stand up and say "FAIR PLAY ON TAX"

I'm afraid that the UK popuation is now largely a toothless tiger in the face of the UK Nanny State, a lot could be learned from our militant cheese eating surrender monkey neighbours across the Channel.

Post #28950721st Apr 2008 3:45 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Berlin Warrior wrote:
Indeed, and yet another tax scam designed by the Govt. in the Govt's favour.

Yes ...strange then that many people want to vote the ones that introduced it ..ie. the tories ...back into power Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #28952721st Apr 2008 4:05 pm
nosweat

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
Transient faults are stored as hard faults if they occur on consecutive ignition cycles, this varies depending upon the severity of the fault. For EGR's I *think* the threshold is three, after this, the DTC's would need to be cleared

Iain, Is there any way of checking for these without plugging in your clever diagnostics kit?
I have to say that mine doesn't seem as spritely now as it did a month or so ago when you did the TorqTune. I haven't been near a dealer (so no overwriting) so either I have gotten very used to the big difference or I've developed paranoia and am inventing problems (or maybe there really is a problem).

How easy is it to have a look see if these EGR valves are sticking from a mechanical point of view (i.e. getting fingers dirty) and giving them a squirt of cleaner?

Post #28956421st Apr 2008 4:45 pm
10forcash

You could try a 'hard reset' - disconnect both battery cables and link them together for 10 mins, this should clear any transient errors and in some cases may clear 'hard' errors EGR's need to be removed to clean properly, not particularly difficult, just a bit fiddly.... That said if there's an EGR problem the relevant DTC wil be stored anyway

Post #28956921st Apr 2008 4:53 pm
j,moore

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 3

i have a couple of questions, how much more power does this upgrade give and does it cause the vehicle to smoke more. also i already get 30mpg and better so will this be improved or will it do as my defender td5 did and actualy drop after the upgrade (different company upgrade). also will land rover in advertantly erase it or throw a fit the next time it goes in for a service. and how much does it cost.
many thanks jim Thumbs Up .

Post #28958521st Apr 2008 5:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >