Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rooftop antenna housing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dlm3

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Rooftop antenna housing

Does anyone have access to LR maintenance manuals that might show what is inside the center-rear mounted cell phone antenna housing ? It requires a special torx driver or I would have already looked.

On my list of things to do is installing a GPS satnav in the stock location and I'm wondering if there's already an antenna there I could use, or if it's only used for satellite radio and the cell phone kit in the center cubby.

Or, where is the gps antenna on vehicles that have the factory satnav ?

Thanks!

Post #13765310th Mar 2007 2:14 am
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Gps rx'r

Have you tried the maintenance manual? Cant check as im on the pda at present. Do a search and you should find it. If not you could try the gtr website which is bound to have it.

Post #13766510th Mar 2007 10:51 am
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The GPS antenna for the factory SatNav is not in the cell phone antenna housing. According to the GTR:

Quote:
The GPS antenna is located in the RH side of the upper tailgate mounted spoiler.

I think it is the same pod that also contains the third brake light or "high mounted stop lamp".
The SatNav GPS antenna is a separate unit, so I doubt that it will be installed on vehicles without the factory SatNav... Confused
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #13768710th Mar 2007 6:40 pm
dlm3

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Rogue, if I had a subscription on GTR I would have looked myself. I was hoping to beg the kindness of someone who does have said subscription. (undoubtedly, when my D3 gets a little older, I'll start being more interested in having access to it, but not while it's under warranty!)

Beaker, Thanks! That saves me a whole lot of looking someplace where it clearly *isn't*.

But i wouldn't be too sure about the antenna not being there - unless it's visible - I've never seen one with it to my knowledge. Land Rover are clearly getting smart about standardizing parts and assemblies among its product lines, not just motors and transmissions. If the cost of the antenna is less than the cost of maintaining a different assembly, they might just include it (they've apparently done so with much of the wiring as evidenced by the many audio and aux power plug threads).

Nevertheless, you're probably right Wink.

Thanks Again!

Post #13773111th Mar 2007 1:06 am
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

From the pictures in the GTR, the GPS antenna is a separate unit that connects to the SatNav system by a dedicated coax cable. I don't think LR would have installed that antenna unit on a vehicle without the SatNav system. Maybe the cable is there, but I would not be surprised if it isn't because SatNav is a factory option only. TFC would probably know...

There is another topic that just started where the LED brake light assembly came loose. Maybe Ray_of_Sunshine can have a look for you if there is a GPS antenna or cable in the expected spot...
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.