Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Gearbox Upchange Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mikely

South Africa 
Gearbox Upchange Fault

Gearbox would not change up in drive last week, but only when headlights were switched on. Worked perfectly in command shift, and would hold 6th if switched back to D, kickdown OK but no subsequent upshift. All 100% OK during the day (with headlights off)
After further 5-10 mins faults occurred and logged as HDC, Special Functions and Lowered Suspension, but not Transmission!
I guess you will all point to battery voltage, but anyway took it to dealer last Friday and advised that lower sensor cable on rear diff was off, they re-connected, tested and pronounced all OK.
Of course, used it last night for first time with headlights and you guessed it - Censored .

Anyone have any thoughts? If there is a lower diff sensor is there also an upper, or is this just twaddle and problem lies with battery?

Still great though!
 Mike  
Post #1263811st Feb 2007 8:38 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

strange.... does sound like a poor earth connection somewhere, possibly related to a wheel speed sensor (they're 'active' so require a +ve & -ve connection) Transmission fault wouldn't show as it was operating correctly without a wheel speed input i.e. in safe mode
it sounds very much like something was getting it's -ve connection through the headlight (or sidelight) circuit, thereby raising a fault DTC when the lights were on - do any of the lights look dimmer than the others?, including interior background illumination?

Post #1264001st Feb 2007 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mikely

South Africa 

All lights, including backlights look OK. I do, like many, have to replace brake light bulbs every 8-10 weeks!

I should add, that the gearbox will eventually change up, but at +/- 4300 rpm which is not very comforting. But at partial/normal throttle opening will just hold current gear, although will change down as one slows.

Many thanks TFC, any input for next dealer visit would be most helpful.
 Mike  
Post #1264171st Feb 2007 9:41 pm
10forcash

Sounds like there needs to be a 'wiggle test' on the wiring looms, with the lights switched on....
it's difficult to diagnose these type of faults with DTC's alone, sadly, not many tech's are taught or have experience at tracing physical connection faults, particularly when they affect multiple systems
i'd start with the engine bay earthing points then move on to the ones in both front footwells, after that, check the integrity of the body systems multipole connectors

hope it helps Wink

Post #1264201st Feb 2007 9:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Little 5

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like there needs to be a 'wiggle test' on the wiring looms, with the lights switched on....
it's difficult to diagnose these type of faults with DTC's alone, sadly, not many tech's are taught or have experience at tracing physical connection faults, particularly when they affect multiple systems
i'd start with the engine bay earthing points then move on to the ones in both front footwells, after that, check the integrity of the body systems multipole connectors

hope it helps Wink
 You May Think I Said What You Thought I Said But What You Thought I Said I Did Not

MEMBER OF CLUB WEBER BBQ and
10FORCASH CLAN 

Post #13108318th Feb 2007 8:04 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Reads like a double act Whistle
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #13109918th Feb 2007 8:27 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Little 5, is this the rebranded Dwarfy??? Shocked

Post #13122919th Feb 2007 9:04 am
Jamo

Australia 

Who has to change their bulbs often??

I've never had to change one yet in 75000km
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #13123719th Feb 2007 10:18 am
Mikely

South Africa 

After 5 weeks of jiggleing (must go on diet or strictly come dancing) finally cracked the problem.
Basic problem was Rr R/H stop/tail bulb! Yes indeed, with side/headlights on, upper tail lights were out and no brake lights from pedal activation, however, high level brake light on permanently.

You may well ask, as I did, how does this affect gearbox? Well apparently brake light being on, signals ECU that one is braking and thus will not upchange gears!

Hats off to LRSA for advising what to look for. Thumbs Up

Moral: Don't buy cr@p bulbs from emergency spares oultets! Idea
TTFN
 Mike  
Post #13220222nd Feb 2007 1:27 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Excellent! I love things like this!

Thanks for passing on this little gem Mikely! Thumbs Up

(Pun Intended)
 Back in the game!  
Post #13228422nd Feb 2007 5:34 pm
DrtyBlvd

Spain 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

Mikely wrote:
You may well ask, as I did, how does this affect gearbox? Well apparently brake light being on, signals ECU that one is braking and thus will not upchange gears!

Shocked So a bit of left-foot braking away from the lights then, it is... Rolling with laughter
 "There is a road from the eye to the heart that does not go through the brain" - G.K Chesterton  
Post #13250023rd Feb 2007 9:38 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

This evening my D3 has developed this fault. No WAY am I putting up with 5 weeks of loom wiggling! Car upshifts fine at 2500 into 2nd and 3rd but absolutely won't upshift to 4th, 5th or 6th unless I do it with command shift.

Coincidentally it has just had all the wheels off to have AT2s fitted and the fault was apparent within a couple of minutes of leaving the tyre centre. No evidence of brake bulbs being on so I'm betting on a brake or wheel speed sensor being dislodged when the wheels were done.

No faults coming up on the info centre at this point. Will be visiting the tyre centre and asking them to get the car up on the ramps for a visual check of all connectors near the wheels tomorrow. Rolling Eyes
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #14190022nd Mar 2007 10:06 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Diagnosis...... (and you'll love this) is that the depot sent 3 x 255/60/18 and 1 x 255/55/18. I think "ooh sheeeet" was the expression the fitting centre manager used when he spotted it. To be fair, once I explained there appeared to be a wheel speed sensor problem he had it sussed in a matter of a couple of minutes.

He's got the correct tyre coming in on Monday so in the meantime I've put a spare Wrangler HP AW on and the transmission problem is no more. I'm going to push for a substantial discount on another 2 tyres for use as spares by way of apology for the potentially dangerous oversight Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #14241023rd Mar 2007 9:18 pm
10forcash

how can it be dangerous if you can't go more than 15mph????? Razz

Post #14241723rd Mar 2007 9:33 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

How? Firstly it wasn't limited to 15, it just wouldn't upshift from 3rd to 4th or higher without a prod from command shift. Secondly there 's the small matter of the load rating on a 55 tyre being too low. Bloke I dealt with went pale when he saw what had happened and was hugely apologetic. I'm just going to ask him for a price for two more when I see him on Monday and see if he twitches..... Whistle
Post #14242323rd Mar 2007 9:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >