Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

d3 heater fan resistor faulty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
VMatas

Poland 

My transistor was broken without any signs of water.

Post #134487220th Sep 2014 12:58 pm
mohnwalk

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

How about your fan? Does it spin without any resistance? Could not see or feel any water in mine neither, but the fan was clearly not spinning easily.

Post #134491720th Sep 2014 3:09 pm
VMatas

Poland 

It was Ok 3 months before. More, fuse was only 30A and it doesn't blow.

Post #134492120th Sep 2014 3:20 pm
dingdongs

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4
Blower control module

Does anyone know the range on the so called thermo fuse before having to unsolder first and look as im a cheap skate and have already checked the mosfat gate source and drain is already good and working by a test.
After this test i checked themo fuse out by bridging with a set of croc clips to prove fan works again.
My problem was the hevac heater control would light all the leds but no sign of heater working so therefore no temp controls.relay checked etcetra.Blower works with 12v battery connected so got it to the so called heater resistor in the ducting next to the fan blower.
Once i bridged the thermo fuse works as it should but cant leave as it was to test but £70 quid for the sake of a fuse in the resistor is a joke so any knowledgable person who may know would be helpful otherwise i will find out and post to any other person who wants to go down the diy route.

Last edited by dingdongs on 31st Jan 2016 10:26 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #160240931st Jan 2016 3:24 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Happy to help, but I am struggling to understand. Would you mind typing that again?

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #160268331st Jan 2016 9:15 pm
dingdongs

Sorry for the few joined together words but have now broke the heater blower resistor down and have found that it is a 114 degrees 2A thermo fuse which has failed so will see if maplins stock them.
Robbie my fault was;
Controller that changes the heat settings was non responsive. All lights lit but no hot air or air con blowing as blower only started for a split second after putting my fingers onto the top of the blower after removing the filter.
When i switched it from no leds to the first setting that split second it turned the blower and no other settings were available.
Obviously i tested the relay to make sure power was available.
Blower was tested by connecting a 12 v source direct to blower.worked perfectly.
Then went to the heater resistor (blower control module bcm)and started looking into it.
Tested the mosfat with a small test kit i initially built to make sure it worked and that was ok.
At the other end of the circuit board a thermo fuse hangs under the board and with a clamp touches the aluminium heat sink measuring temps and probably a safety fuse protecting circuits.This is my failing componant as bridging a set of crocodile clips across fuse stated had the blower motor working as normal at all speeds as normal.This was only a few second test to prove it was the bad componant and i still have to trace and get this thermo fuse which is a 114 degree 2A written on it as well as some other numbers too which i forgot for now.
I had to cut this fuse so i could lift the circuit board slightly to undo the screw which was holding the mosfat and fuse onto the rear of the aluminium heat sink.This is probably further than most people will go but lucky for me its the summer here in the falklands so have time on my hands but no available parts so in the process of going the cheap way first.Will let you know outcome.

Post #160272131st Jan 2016 10:22 pm
ChrisDisco3HSE

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hello all new to the site. My d3 HSE heater blowers have packed up. The lights around the knob illuminate as they should and the rear blowers are working fine in conjunction to me adjusting the heater knob. I've checked the relay under the bonnet which I believe to be R16 and I exchanged it for the rear heater Relay which I believe to be R10 which didn't do a thing. I've been told it will be the resistor which is located behind the glove box somewhere. The headers haven't been acting up or anything unusual. I did a 100 mile round trip and everything was fine. I went to the shop and when I came out 10 Minutes later the blower failed to come on. Any help would be appreciated

Post #16029591st Feb 2016 3:19 pm
dingdongs

Have you read my posts above.The resistor is a case of dropping the glove box down as if getting to the inner fuses etc.just left of centre of the glove box you will see the blower.To the right of that in the ducting you will see a greying resistor held in with 2 screws with a 4 wire plug attached.Remove and then remove from ducting.This will more than likely be the fault but test other componants before throwing money at it. All fairly easy diy to this point as yours sounds like my fault but better to just see if the motor in the blower box gets a signal from blower controler in the dash by removing pollen filter and then feel into the top of theblower box to feel wheel that would rotate if all was working well.
With your left hand on this rotating wheel see if rotates when switching blower speed controller from no lights lit to the first speed an dfeel if motor turns for a split second.Let the outcome be known the rest of the testing may involve a multimeter if you have one to test whats bad.

Post #16031291st Feb 2016 8:26 pm
ChrisDisco3HSE

Thanks a lot. I have had a quick look and I have seen the resistor how it is housed into the ducting. I will have a go at removing it tomorrow and I'll see how I get on. I've seen some second hand ones on eBay for £30 do if that solves it I'll be a very happy man

Post #16031561st Feb 2016 8:59 pm
ChrisDisco3HSE

After 10 minutes Censored about in the footwell I managed to remove the under tray of the glovebox and remove the heater resistor. Ill test it at work tomorrow and hopefully this is the faulty bit and I can get it replaced

Post #16037632nd Feb 2016 9:33 pm
ChrisDisco3HSE

Took the resistor to work this morning and I removed the grey plastic lid. Now I'm no expert with electronics but I managed to use a multimeter to check the three resistors and I got resistance on all three of them which only leaves the capacitor but I don't know how to test it??

Post #16038863rd Feb 2016 8:37 am
dingdongs

How about the resistor thermal one which is hanging down in the first picture you can see by the 2 silver wires as this is whats wrong with mine and have ordered this thermal fuse.see if its open circuit as it requires a circuit.
It is held under the screw that you can the fuse and the mosfat which can only be removed by snipping the 2 soldered wires and levering the circuit board up so you can get a screw driver to remove board.only remove if its faulty. see but if it is open circuit you can see by bridging a small wire between the 2 hanging down under the circuit board connections. Your heater controls will all work again as normal once its bridged..You will also see its soldered on and you have to snip the 2 wires to fit a new one and desolder the remaining joints.let me know the test but its a thermal fuse hanging under the board in your first picture held onto the heat sink via the clamp and screw with some paste there too whick is there to transfer heat.the mosfat connector will require a small circuit to be made up to test but is easily achievable and unless you have access to good equipment will be beyond most.5 of the thermal fuses are just over £2.50 for the 114 degree 2A.therefore 50p if this is your repair.let me know outcome.

Post #16038913rd Feb 2016 8:56 am
ChrisDisco3HSE

Sorry just had one of the lads at work test it he has said that the top resistor next to the capacitor is at fault he said he can't get a reading through it

Post #16038923rd Feb 2016 9:04 am
dingdongs

Is thermal fuse ok then as these 3 resistors normally bullet proof.you can see it bridging hanging under the board with the white thermal paste in your first photo

Post #16038963rd Feb 2016 9:09 am
ChrisDisco3HSE

In not getting nothing between the 2 thin wires that drop down at either side of the capacitor either

Post #16038993rd Feb 2016 9:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >