DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

19" or 20" for trip to South Luwangwa + TPMS clari
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jax

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
19" or 20" for trip to South Luwangwa + TPMS clari

Chaps,

I purchased my MY12 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE's on the standard 19" ten spoke alloys (plus the full sized spare) with 255/55 tyres on the wheels. Further to this at the time of ordering, i also opted to get the 20" 5 spoke diamond turned finish wheels with 255/50 pirelli scorpion zero tyres and this is what the car was delivered with. I have kept the 5 x 19's as a spare set incase the going gets tough!

Anyways my dilemma is that i will be undertaking a road trip from Malawi to Zambia to the South Luwanga where out of the 1300km round trip, about 300km will be on a gravel dirt road from Chipata in Zambia to the Park. Once in the park my vehcile will be parked and will be using a game vehicle for viewing within the park.

The issue i have is should i swap from the currently fitted 20" wheels and tyres to the 19"? I know that the 20" on the Disco have a taller profile than the 20" fitted to the RR Sport. Also i probably won't be doing any serious offroading save for the gravel/dirt road into the park. But i am worried about hitting potholes at speed (on African roads you never know where the next pothole is lurking) in the 20" and damage to the tyres and wheels, also will have luggage and 4 passengers.

Also both sets of wheels (5 each) the 19" and 20" have been fitted with the sender valves for the TPMS system. If i swap all the wheels (including the spare) from the 20" to the 19" does the TPMS system need to be recalibrated by a dealer? Or does it just pick up the new wheels and sort things out automatically? As on the setup menu for TPMS it only gives you options for setting a light or heavy load.

Would you also recommend rebalancing the 19" wheels? They were obviously balanced when fitting at the factory and probably only did about 15-20km before the 20" wheels were fitted so they are brand new.

Await everyone's esteemed comments Smile

Last edited by Jax on 8th Oct 2012 1:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #9868138th Oct 2012 9:24 am
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

What tyres are on the 19"? Don't take this wrong but 20" on Pirelli zeros in Africa????? Sell the lot and by 18" rims that fit D4 I'll look up the link if you intersted?
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #9868348th Oct 2012 10:18 am
Jax

I agree the 20's are not the most practical tyre for Malawi but i just loved the look of the car on the 5 spoke wheels and am cautious when driving!

The tyres on the 19 inch wheels are Goodyear Wrangler HP 255/55

Would love to hear some coments on the issue of the TPMS and changing the wheel sets from 20 to 19 and then back again when i am back from my trip.

Post #9868408th Oct 2012 11:03 am
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Fair enough, at least the radius of the 20" and 19" wheels as in your case are the same. Therefore you can carry extra spare(20"wheel) in relation to tyre monitor I have a none LR product and when I change between 18" and 19" wheels I have to link wheels to monitor every time I change sets. So best to contact your dealer, I'll try to find workshop manual file on it.
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #9868888th Oct 2012 12:47 pm
Jax

Thanx D4JWW

I have a full set of 5 wheels and tyres in 19" and 5 wheels and tyres in 20" so basically i would have a spare of the same size as per the wheels and tyres fitted.

The problem is that we are inbetween a dealer loosing their dealership and a new dealer being appointed soon so it will be difficult to reffer to a dealer on the question of the TPMS on the car and what happens when you change a full set of wheels and tyres, hence me posting here to hear what others have to say about this issue.

Cheers

Post #9869238th Oct 2012 1:58 pm
Jax

Ok so decided to go ahead and fit the 19" wheels and tyres. Didn't want to take a chance on the 20" Wheels and tyres.

All on and no messages from TPMS so i am assuming it has picked up the sensors on the 19"s I hope!

Is there anyway of checking? Perhaps deflating a tyre...and if so what pressure does one have to deflate to for the TPMS to pick it up?

Thanx

Post #98833111th Oct 2012 5:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >