WiFi OBD-II Car Diagnostics Tool for iPhone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Steff1

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
WiFi OBD-II Car Diagnostics Tool for iPhone

Anyone tried out this one?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wifi-obd-ii-c...hone-71802

Looks interesting. Very Happy Does it work on D3/D4?
 Land Rover - It Hurts So Good

2005 TDV6 HSE PP Java Black, 2009-
MTR, Prospeed Quest roof rack, OEM ladder, B.A.S FBH Controller 

Post #8224402nd Aug 2011 2:50 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

you might get a few standard codes out from the ecu, but it wont be much. The BBS spy kit is much better (does all control units and offers proper diagnoses. Bit pricey though.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #8237567th Aug 2011 11:08 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

dick dastardly wrote:
Bit pricey though.

Depends on how you look at it I suppose. If it saves you a couple of trips to the dealer and you do a few enablements it will have paid for itself and you still have the unit to sell on afterwards.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #8238068th Aug 2011 8:48 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya Steff1
There are tons of generic OBDII readers availaible, many much cheaper than the one you show, and they might well work on a D3/D4 but they will only ever possibly provide a few standard codes from the engine management and absolutely nothing else.

Sadly too many buy these, reading the vague "covers Land Rover" promise in the hope that there is a cheap option out there, but there is not and only after they have spent almost as much as it would have cost on such to buy proper Land Rover Dedicated equipment such as ours, do they ultimately realise this fact.

We do not offer our equipment for next to nothing, but then it was not easy or cheap to develop, especially considering we cover up to 30 possible ECU'S. But not one single owner has ever regretted investing in one. And you only have to spend a few minutes browsing this forum to appreciate its immense and exceptional capability and worth.

There simpy is and has never has been anything close to providing the same coverage and capability as the MSV-2, even at ten times it's cost.

And as Ent has kindly and quite sensibly pointed out, it's not even as though the investment in our well renowned equipment is money never to be seen again, as it would be with some generic OBDII equipment, as second hand BBS equipment typically fetches 80 to 90% of it's purchase cost.

Post #8239448th Aug 2011 7:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steff1

Copy. Covinced, I'll go for MSV2 right away. 8)

Post #8241509th Aug 2011 1:10 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Steff1 it was never my intent to solicit a sale from yoi by my reply, however i have absolutely no doubt that in taking note of my comments and electing to purchase one of our systems that you have indeed saved yourself a shed load or time, trouble and money.

It therefore seems only fair under the circumstances that i put my money where my mouth is.
Therefore i offer that if you are not absolutely and totally delighted with your investment in our equipment and it's capabilities you can send it back and i will refund you absolutely every penny you paid for it, including postage.

Warmest Regards

Colin

Post #8242639th Aug 2011 7:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steff1

Hello Colin

I didn't perceive it as a "sale-reply" either. Wink I think your reply was very sober, clarifying and convincing. I have little or no clue about car diagnostics and which tool is the "best" suitable diagnostic tool for my disco3. The Wifi-OBD for iphone kept my attention first of all because of the price. Obviously it has some major limitations and therefore not the right thing for me.

Best regards, Steffen Smile

Post #8242659th Aug 2011 8:07 pm
[email protected]

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Tried it but only a few engine indicators e.g. Ref count, speed. No Engin codes Sad

Post #98093623rd Sep 2012 10:09 pm
parrafin23

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I did buy a cheap obdII reader first.. cause of the cost and all the fancy stuff they told me that I could do with it for my D3.

WAited 3 weeks to get it and I could not wait to use it. When all was up and running i did regret using those few quids and all the wating for next to nothing than what I expected.

And after reading here on this forum and the Norwegian forum, I went for the Msv-2 extreme.

I had some trouble at the beginning, but sorted pretty quick out by BBS Spy and hees team @ BBS.

I am realy impressed with the capability of this equipment and the support team.
The diagnostic tools the garage I use for my 2 landrovers doesnt come close to the msv-2.

Had an Issue with my BT module. The dealer could not flash it with the system they use and they told me that I needed a new module.
I got the Msv-2 and got the module flashed and all woked well. The tools they use look like a toy compared to the Msv-2.

So yeah.. Go for the MSv-2, that would be my first choice.

Per.

Post #98112424th Sep 2012 4:35 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks Per

That is a very exact and eloquently put summation of the situation, complete with real world examples Thumbs Up

Cheap generic OBDII tools promise the earth in such a cleverly put way that you have no come back, but they really ain't worth a candle. Unfortunately so many tar us with the same brush, and think that the only difference between our equipment and generic stuff is that our equipment is bit more expensive.

There is also a general belief that no third party suppliers diagnostic equipment could possibly be better than even Land Rovers dealer equipment.

The reality is that we have been producing equipment that well surpasses even dealer equipment capability and functionality and ease of use for almost 17 years now.

Our equipment is second to none, as is our level of service and support, and if that were not an absolutely true fact, i would certainly not be able to be here at all Thumbs Up

Post #98162325th Sep 2012 6:09 pm
[email protected]

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks Per, I just noticed today that my 4x4 Landrover repair shop is using a Msv-2 extreme.
So now it's just a case of getting one in South Africa.
I really like the fact they give a full package per VIN number. The only problem is that I have 2 DISCO 3.
Perhaps I could get a good deal with them that the software will work with 2 VIN numbers.

Post #98166325th Sep 2012 7:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >