DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

The 2 Stroke Oil thread - post all related here
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 44 of 51 <123 ... 434445 ... 495051>
AJXX

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Dave T wrote:
Can't say my engine is noisy.

I choose not to use it as there is not enough hard evidence for the benefits and enough against to put doubt in my mind over potential damage that it may cause.

Sorry, but I'm completely of the opposite view.

There's no 'hard' evidence against the use of 2SO that I've seen. Could you please post this? If you're talking about the potty "technical study" from fuelexpert.co.za then frankly this can be dismissed off hand as it's a lab based study on a single type of engine in a controlled environment - which tells us nothing about 'real world' use. The report is also full of "potential" to do this and that, but no 'hard' evidence to suggest it will cause damage.

I had to make the decision to use 2SO or not just like everyone else, and after hours of trolling through various forums I decided to use it; purely because between the noise from sceptics, people who have never actually tried it and people posting 'scientific' data opposing it, there are actually a vast amount of people reporting positive results. The benefits I've seen on my particular vehicle have definitely been worth it (quieter engine, healthier starting from cold, few MPG gained, a bit more 'pull' power).

Post #164317420th Apr 2016 9:45 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Been using 2SO for about 2 years and then couldn't get Actevo so at recommendation of Opie oils started using Millers Diesel Ecomax - does all 2SO did but actually starts smoother on cold mornings, definitely less smoke - that's a fact - and its cheaper

Been using it for about 8 months now

Post #164318220th Apr 2016 10:11 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Been a while since I've had time for anything but an occasional lurk on the site, but as this old chestnut of a topic still has legs I thought I'd weigh in with my experiences.

I started using 2SO several years ago, and now use it regularly at 200ml per full tank (400:1 which is I think about half what most people use) as my engine sounded like a bag of spanners after some cheap supermarket fuel and I was experiencing power losses climbing hills and I thought what the hell.

As well as the power losses under 2000rpm (typical egr issues), the turbo was either on or off, very slow to kick in and then suddenly would slam to full boost; not a very smooth ride.

My first go I added a much larger percentage to a 1/4 tank of fuel ( a long time ago so I don't recall how much) so I could top off with more fuel if it needed diluting to undo the harm.

I added it to the tank with the engine running, and within the first 60 seconds the rattling spanners noise was completely gone.
Some 20 or so miles later, I'm heading up the 1:8 hill that regularly had me slowing to walking pace, the car's back down in first gear to keep moving but simply no power to go faster. Then there was a slam noise from the engine bay and the car leapt up the hill like a scalded cat. I assume a sticking EGR was freed up and moved from open to closed.

After this point, the EGRs have worked normally (well until one lost its bearings a year later, possibly from it slamming shut?), and the turbo has ramped up smoothly so excellent power delivery. I can hear the turbo whistle from my snorkel and instead of hearing it build up in two or three hard steps like it used to, it now smoothly increases the whistle with no audible steps.

On two occasions now I've run out of 2SO, and had forgotten to get more in, so driven for two or three fill-ups without, only for the EGR power issues to start to return. Starting using the oil again and normal and silent order is quickly restored.

One other benefit; the bag of spanners noise from the engine used to change with each tank of fuel.
Winter fuel was always worse than summer and the cheap fuels almost always worse than premium.
2SO makes them all equally silent and so seems to make premium prices pointless. Comparing the price difference between nitro/ultimate type brands and the cheapest fuel out there seems to cover the cost of use IMHO, though I do poke a tank or two of the expensive stuff through the car each year for a spruce up of the engine in case there are other cleaning benefits that the 2SO doesn't provide, but I usually go for the cheapest.

I'm sure everyone's got their own story and take on 2SO, but mine's been all positive, and so far it's put off me needing a new EGR and a new turbo for years, as well as providing a constant couple of MPG improvement. So far, nothing negative. Nothing at all, and my tailpipes remain smoke free even during an Italian tune-up up a steep hill which is impressive for a nearly ten year old diesel engine on original injectors and HP fuel pump.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #16509916th May 2016 10:28 am
SteveyB

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Having spent many hours it seems reading the many opinions on here regarding the benefits (or not) of 2SO in Diesel I decided to take the plunge and give it a try. I have previously been using Millers Eco Max addetive so I will be interested to see if there is any noticeable difference. The only trouble is I'm finding it diffiicult in my area to source the right type of 2SO at a reasonable price. Can't find any Castrol Actevo, Halfords have 2SO but its only FB rated. Anyway I eventually came across some semi synthetic FC rated, low ash stuff in B&Q but at the heady price of £9.00 a litre.(hope its the right stuff !) Anyway I've given it a punt and added some at the last fill up a couple of days ago. I have to say initial thoughts are the the engine does sound quieter and smoother but can't comment on mpg yet. We are off on a long journey next week for a holiday from our home in Scotland to Cornwall returning back via South Wales, so when I return I should be able to provide a better view on my thoughts around the use of 2SO.

2007 HSE - 96k miles
New belts + tensioners.
V8 Brake upgrade.
EGR blank and remap.
Autobox flushed +new filter.
Diffs and trans box oil changed. 

Post #165418113th May 2016 9:54 am
Jarvis

England 

stapldm wrote:
Been a while since I've had time for anything but an occasional lurk on the site, but as this old chestnut of a topic still has legs I thought I'd weigh in with my experiences.

I started using 2SO several years ago, and now use it regularly at 200ml per full tank (400:1 which is I think about half what most people use) as my engine sounded like a bag of spanners after some cheap supermarket fuel and I was experiencing power losses climbing hills and I thought what the hell.

As well as the power losses under 2000rpm (typical egr issues), the turbo was either on or off, very slow to kick in and then suddenly would slam to full boost; not a very smooth ride.

My first go I added a much larger percentage to a 1/4 tank of fuel ( a long time ago so I don't recall how much) so I could top off with more fuel if it needed diluting to undo the harm.

I added it to the tank with the engine running, and within the first 60 seconds the rattling spanners noise was completely gone.
Some 20 or so miles later, I'm heading up the 1:8 hill that regularly had me slowing to walking pace, the car's back down in first gear to keep moving but simply no power to go faster. Then there was a slam noise from the engine bay and the car leapt up the hill like a scalded cat. I assume a sticking EGR was freed up and moved from open to closed.

After this point, the EGRs have worked normally (well until one lost its bearings a year later, possibly from it slamming shut?), and the turbo has ramped up smoothly so excellent power delivery. I can hear the turbo whistle from my snorkel and instead of hearing it build up in two or three hard steps like it used to, it now smoothly increases the whistle with no audible steps.

On two occasions now I've run out of 2SO, and had forgotten to get more in, so driven for two or three fill-ups without, only for the EGR power issues to start to return. Starting using the oil again and normal and silent order is quickly restored.

One other benefit; the bag of spanners noise from the engine used to change with each tank of fuel.
Winter fuel was always worse than summer and the cheap fuels almost always worse than premium.
2SO makes them all equally silent and so seems to make premium prices pointless. Comparing the price difference between nitro/ultimate type brands and the cheapest fuel out there seems to cover the cost of use IMHO, though I do poke a tank or two of the expensive stuff through the car each year for a spruce up of the engine in case there are other cleaning benefits that the 2SO doesn't provide, but I usually go for the cheapest.

I'm sure everyone's got their own story and take on 2SO, but mine's been all positive, and so far it's put off me needing a new EGR and a new turbo for years, as well as providing a constant couple of MPG improvement. So far, nothing negative. Nothing at all, and my tailpipes remain smoke free even during an Italian tune-up up a steep hill which is impressive for a nearly ten year old diesel engine on original injectors and HP fuel pump.

Whereabouts in the land of magic roundabouts do you get your 2SO fix?

Post #165418413th May 2016 10:01 am
ianb4310

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Which 2 stroke oil Sorry!!

I've decided to take the plunge and try 2 stroke oil. I spent last night reading various threads without finding a definite answer so my question is what's the best 2 stroke oil to be using at the moment (please don't shoot me)
Looked for Actevo but it's very scarce so any other suggestions welcomed. With links
 D4 rear lights
Beanie grill
Dynachip remap
4x4 info
HSE Wheels 

Post #16630334th Jun 2016 8:21 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I buy at £5.74 per litre from Germany here:-

http://preview.tinyurl.com/zobe8k4

postage is an issue but I usually buy 20+ litres at a go &, if you ask, they will ship for £10.60.

Alternatively normal mineral or semi-synthetic two stroke oil conforming to JASO-FC should be OK.

You could use fully synthetic oil but this does not burn ashfree and as such is not suitable for vehicles with DPF, and in any event is more expensive than mineral or semi-synthetic.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #16630504th Jun 2016 8:52 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

20 litres at £2.10 per litre, delivered:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301672908106?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

My personal not-above price is around £3.50 per litre.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #16631094th Jun 2016 10:19 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Robbie

I know you are very well informed but...

I was always taught that one should not compromise on the quality of:-

Oil
Brake components; and
Tyres

I am tempted, but the phrases:-

"Pay peanuts & get monkeys" and

"There's no such thing as a free lunch"

come to mind.

JAB Spares is a very new company having been incorporated on 20 Feb 2015 - wonder where they get their oil from?

I'm totally confused Big Cry

Regards

Nigel
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #16631204th Jun 2016 10:33 am
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I bought the oil Robbie linked to above, didn't notice any difference to it and the Actevo I used previously.

I've since stopped using 2SO and just use Shell Nitro. Can't say I've noticed anything detrimental since stopping 2SO and Nitro gives a bit more poke!

Post #16631414th Jun 2016 11:21 am
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Today is the first day I have put 2st oil in my car. This has cost me £10 from halfrauds. Is this the right stuff and could I use cheaper ? I have read the long thread but still a little confused. (Which does not take much these days Shocked ) I have put a quarter of a litre in with 25Ltrs of diesel ?

Post #16632234th Jun 2016 2:48 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

As that is FD it should be ok. But FC may be cheaper. The ratio most folk use is 1:200 so if your tank had 25ltrs in before the fill, you now have recommended ratio.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #16632324th Jun 2016 3:00 pm
Aerialmark

Cheers fella Thumbs Up

Post #16632594th Jun 2016 3:59 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

NJSS wrote:
Robbie

I know you are very well informed but...

I was always taught that one should not compromise on the quality of:-

Oil
Brake components; and
Tyres

I am tempted, but….

I agree as I would not compromise on oil, brakes or tyres either.

But the only thing you are doing with this product is feeding it to your engine and burning it, so it does not last long. It's only purpose is to restore the diesel to the standard it was before the nanny state got too involved.

It meets the specification and is cheap enough to burn, adding only about 50p to the price of a tankful. So save your money here so that you can spend it on good engine oil, quality brakes and the best tyres.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #16632974th Jun 2016 5:03 pm
Aerialmark

What are you saying Robbie , dont use it as its a waste of money or use it but don,t buy expensive tackle as you are only going to burn it so get cheaper as long as it comes up to requirements ?

Post #16633154th Jun 2016 5:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 44 of 51 <123 ... 434445 ... 495051>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >