Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

is this a Good deal from Warranty Direct?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
is this a Good deal from Warranty Direct?

I have not had any warranty cover beyond first three years, but thought I would get a quote from Warranty Direct for my D3 which has done 103k miles and in 8th year.

The quote looked high, but then I had a nice salesman call offering me better terms at lower price - normal tactics I guess. They offered an upgrade to Secure Care cover for £1400 for 24 months. Given mileage I would have to pay the first 30% of parts cost but could use a main dealer if that was my preference. I could probably get it for £700 for 12 months (Basic care was originally quoted at £945 for 12 months). Labour costs included.

I know that the devil is in the detail and value is dictated by how they respond to claims. I will scrutinise the T&C tonight as it is not clear what is covered when I have say a service done. The big 105k has already been done, but I can guess at a range of expenses that will crop up between now and middle of 2014! On the face of it bushes and steering items as well as brake pipes are covered.

Anyone using WD that would recommend them? Anyone care to estimate whether I might end up "in the money" at this price?

Thanks in advance
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #97102629th Aug 2012 6:01 pm
Dave T

England 

If it doesn't include wear and tear what will it actually pay out for at 8 years old?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #97104429th Aug 2012 6:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm on a similar mileage / year and had the same phone calls from WD.

When I pressed the Salesman he all but admitted that wear and tear would not be considered - now whether that applies in your case I don't know but it simply made it not worthwhile for me.

I would suggest digging deep and getting things in writing.
 I see no ships........  
Post #97104729th Aug 2012 6:33 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Salesman is calling me tomorrow, so I will have a few theoretical examples ready to test the terms and conditions. I must remember to ask him to make sure the call is recorded before he answers Rolling with laughter I will post my findings
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #97106929th Aug 2012 7:07 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I'm on a 55 plate with 109,000 miles. I decided not to renew my warranty as the cost got higher and the cover lower. My big fear is a major failure = expensive. they offered me a 'breakdown failure' warranty with no betterment (i.e. 100% no reduction for mileage). The catch is I have to be broken down first and recovered to dealer. However it covers main dealer repairs.

Cost was less than £100 if I remember rightly, so for that I thought it worth a gamble. I thought the normal cover at £600 ish was too much, My logic goes that its the major things I want cover for (engine exploding, gearbox disintegrating etc) rather than a bearing or starter motor.

They have paid out a few times in the past for me - once on the disco and once on our Mini with wheel bearings.
 TDV6 HSE Lux (2014MY)
TDV6 HSE (2006MY - owned for 9 years and 150,000! - now replaced)
Mini Cooper SD 5 door
TVR Chimaera 450
Series II 1960 Diesel 

Post #97117029th Aug 2012 9:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Unusual to see 'good' and 'warranty direct' in the same sentence. Laughing
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #97121730th Aug 2012 1:35 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Wear and tear is covered on all the warranty direct policies, but if your haven't got a warranty already then the first 90 days exclude wear and tear.

Post #97122430th Aug 2012 6:52 am
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Very very happy with WD. Put plenty of claims through. Didn't claim last year- but that's the gamble. Wheel bearing went at about 127K a few weeks back. Dropped off with the dealer. They authorised the dealer through 1-link a few hours later, I received an authorisation text from them to confirm approval. Emailed my invoice and form (via camera phone) and had a cheque a week later. 100% of invoice, no excess, main dealer rates.

I've found it a very straightforward and a simple process. They've covered stuff in year 4 that my LR warranty wouldn't cover in year 3 (ARB bushes).

They're not rogues. Read the policy documents carefully so you understand what you're buying. Have a realistic expectation on repairs (I needed some handbrake work doing recently - didn't bothercontacting as I know that part isn't covered), and don't go mental with the first person you speak to if you think thete's a discussion to be had over a rejected claim Smile

Once you understand what you're buying, it's then a decision on cashflow and a gamble - on average, with all their market research, they know that the majority of D3s with your age and mileage will have significantly lower repair costs than your premium/year. You just need to gamble on whether you're in the majority or not Thumbs Up

I suspect the garage you visit has an impact on their decision if it's borderline. If you worry that your large chain dealership carry out unneccessary repairs... don't be surprised if WD question things a little more Thumbs Up
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #97122930th Aug 2012 7:24 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Thanks John. The D3 is currently running really well, so I decided to take out the warranty - on the basis all good things come to an end Rolling with laughter
Post #97138730th Aug 2012 4:42 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I have the policy with WD and it does cover wear and tear but as mentioned if it hasnt had a service from a main dealer in the last few months then you have to wait 90 days for that to kick in.

Mine was nearer £500 for 13 months, betterment kicks in soon at 60k as my car is on 58k and is a 2005 plate.

It isnt cheap but then neither is a new turbo, egr, engine etc etc

I see it as better to have than not, I dont have a new turbo money sitting around so want to be covered. They seem Ok on the phone and I thought it worth it now the car is getting older. I havent had any issues with the car in 12 months and it is a low mileage for the age but keen to be covered.

Post #97138930th Aug 2012 4:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >