DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Where is the ATF thermostat?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Where is the ATF thermostat?

Could someone tell me where the thermostat is for the ATF? I know this fluid gets pumped through the radiator, but presume that flow is restricted by a thermostat until after the ATF reaches optimal temperature. Logic would suggest that it is situated close to the transmission, or is operated by a sensor in the transmission.

Second question - can it be replaced and is it a DIY job?

The reason I ask is that i am still trying to diagnose cause of judder, which could be glycol contamination, ATF fluid degradation from overheating or failing TC. Already been down the megaflush route that solved issue for a couple of months, so things point to one of first two causes.

Thanks in advance .......
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #96634016th Aug 2012 8:51 am
anglefire

England 

Don't believe there is one.

Change the radiator and change the fluid again. Simple enough job to do if you can get the viscous fan off.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #96661416th Aug 2012 9:20 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Thanks angelfire. If there is no thermostat, then I guess that on the D3 it is unlikely that the ATF could overheat and degrade, unless there was a blockage somewhere in the connection pipes or the pipes in the radiator. Given the megaflush oil circulated through the connection pipes, that takes them out of the equation as the issue.

All things start to point towards glycol contamination, in which case the rad will need to be replaced (or ATF rad fitted). Thanks for heads up on the viscous fan - I have now seen the other threads on the tool to use and extension suggestion. Will also look up how much body to remove to change the rad. Hope it's just lights and grill and my Mantec plate. Will be chasing up on my ATF test tomorrow.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #96662916th Aug 2012 9:41 pm
anglefire

England 

I did a guide to replacing the radiator, but is not on this site, but elsewhere.

But basically lights, grill, sump guard, drain water, disconnect all hoses, remove the viscous fan (Can be done without, but is a Censored ) pull the AC condensor forward pull the radiator out, replace with new, reconnect all hoses, refill with new antifreeze - get a gallon from your local dealer as Nick can't post liquids - bleed the air out.
 Mark.

Post #96665716th Aug 2012 11:03 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Brill, sounds as easy as it was 30 years ago on my vauxhall viva Rolling with laughter

Dummy question, is there a bleed valve somewhere on the rad or on the engine or is it just a case of keep the top hose loose while filling?
Post #96674817th Aug 2012 10:43 am
anglefire

England 

No there is a bleed valve on top of the expansion bottle and another one under the engine cover - there is a procedure for the correct bleeding - it is somewhere on here or is part of the guide wot I rote Laughing
 Mark.

Post #96689817th Aug 2012 7:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >