Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Key programming with Faultmate or other tools
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yes that is indeed the case, but there is an existing key recovery function for this case.

Post #117169913th Oct 2013 7:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EIG

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

BBS SPY wrote:
@ VMatas

Then your problem must be with your key or it not properly being learned to your vehicle.

@ djcleckie

If your origional key is later found, you should be able to recover this and use it as well as the new one Wink

Colin, I have a similar problem with my 03 Disco2 - can I recode the keys and if so what system do I need.

Jim
 Jim

D4 SDV6 SE TECH
2008 D3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge Vehicle 

Post #117736525th Oct 2013 11:41 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Jim

For Disco 2's, absolutely nothing comes anywhere near close to the Nanocom Evolution in respect of both capability and cost. Thumbs Up

Post #117757425th Oct 2013 6:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EIG

No problem Colin, I have done some homework on the Nanocom and yes it is what every D2 owner needs.

The link you sent sold it for me!!

Jim
 Jim

D4 SDV6 SE TECH

Post #117758125th Oct 2013 7:15 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Jim

Cheers

As i am quite sure your homework on the Nanocom Evolution has shown, you really only needed to be pointed in it's general direction Thumbs Up

I am very confident that it will also be the best thing since sliced bread to owners of the later CAN BUS vehicles also

[url]
[/url]

Post #117795726th Oct 2013 7:36 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Manchester - New Key pairing ...

So in general terms there is no need to go out and use LR to pair the new key .....

I bought a wreck in May Rolling with laughter (one key !)

The plastic is that worn its given up and the unlock button plastic split yesterday .... key still works sort of ..... intermittent ..... Big Cry

TLO getting a new 'official key'

But with 4 kids Whistle and on a tight budget can anyone help and do this near Manchester/Bolton area (obviously I am willing to travel) and pair it up ..... ???

Thanks Thumbs Up
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
D4 rear upgrade - Narpys helped with that bit
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.
B.A.S - FBHIC. Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. Beanie Silver Black badges. 

Post #119468729th Nov 2013 12:07 am
ddecker

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

you can buy just a new remote case from ebay and just swap the electronics over if its just the plastic and buttons, would just need blade cut, which I could do for you if you end up stuck, as mobile key cutting and programming is my sideline.

Post #119519729th Nov 2013 10:23 pm
Bobs

PM Sent ...

Thanks for the reply ..... Thumbs Up
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.

Post #119520329th Nov 2013 10:44 pm
Bobs

Thanks to ddecker

Spent a nice evening getting my keys sorted - Thumbs Up

Thanks to ddecker for repairing the old key (wow I have a spare now) ....

And .... Bow down he also .....

paired the new one from TLO ......

Thumbs Up

Happy days or is that evenings ......

( Very Happy I have two keys ..... I have two keys)

Post #11983956th Dec 2013 12:25 am
ddecker

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

your welcome Thumbs Up

Post #11985776th Dec 2013 2:08 pm
Freemanapril

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3
SDD instructions?

StornowayStu wrote:
Sorry for not following up but I'm still putting the pieces of the jigsaw together.

Long story short, I couldn't get the eBay "virgin" remote to work with my LR3/D3. I ended up coughing up $260 to my friendly main dealer who used my VIN to get a remote with key cut based on the pattern at LR HQ. They told me that I would need to get it paired with my vehicle by service at a cost of $120. I took the key and ran. I had been told by some that as it stood it would still start the car but remote functions would not work. Well it didn't start the car and the remote functions didn't work. However using the Mongoose with the JLR SDD software (I did not yet have my Faultmate MSV) worked a treat - ten minutes later I had two keys working. At no point did I need to press any of the remote buttons. I think that is an older procedure that predates the LR3/D3.

Now I like a puzzle from time to time, so although I got a full refund from the eBay guy I still want to know what goes on behind the curtain. My suspicion (and I'm buying an RFID transponder key reader to test it!) is that when the key is ordered from LR, it is cut and the VIN # and or some other identifier is encoded into one of the many memory slots in the transponder tag. I have heard that LR know the first six key "numbers" of every LR based on the VIN # and choose one of those. I have not yet been able to test.

My theory then runs something like this:

1/ New key containing the VIN# is introduced to the LR3/D3 and the car answers with a code which allows the key to trust the car
2/ Part of the pairing then bonds the key by allowing the car to trust the key based on the earlier exchange
3/ All keys present and trusted are activated. Missing keys are marked by the car as inactive.

I have been told that the encoding of the VIN # (and or the trust code) is a one off write - you would need to replace the transponder chip with a new one if you wanted to recycle a preowned key fob. Seems like a bunch of eBay sellers are unaware or don't care.

The other option would seem to be cloning your existing key with some of the transponder tools out there - in this way the LR3/D3 doesn't actually know it's a different key, to all intents and purposes it's an identical twin. Now I don't know if that is actually possible with the LR yet, it is with some vehicle brands.

So I'm waiting on the reader coming in and when it does I'm going to be examining my original key, the key I had supplied by my LR dealer and a couple of other keys I have begged and borrowed to compare against. I'd like to put together the equivalent of Bodsy's Brake Bible for those wanting a cost effective key solution.

I don't need to do it because I now have two working keys, but hey, winter is approaching and it's always nice to have a hobby on those dark winter nights Wink Oh and I'm a little mad too. Go Science!

Current status says you will have to cough up the dosh to your dealer for an official key but you don't need to pay them to pair it if you have a Faultmate or other tool like SDD/IDS.
Other options may emerge soon...

Do you have step by step instructions on how to activate the keys using the JLR SDD software? I am ordering two new keys from the dealership but I live two hours away and don't want to tow the vehicle to LR if I can pair the keys myself. My neighbor has the SDD software but he has never used it for this. Any help is appreciated.

Post #170603014th Sep 2016 10:22 pm
EIG

Speak to BBS SPY on here about your options.
 Jim

D4 SDV6 SE TECH

Post #170898721st Sep 2016 11:52 am
AJM2006

United Kingdom 

Hi All, I'm a bit of an imposter here as I have an L322 Range Rover 2006 that I am trying to mobilise and I hope this thread isn't too old to resurrect .

I believe the new key pairing process is the same as the Disco 3 and so I was hoping you wouldn't mind me popping in to ask a question .
It is a 2006 TD6 but has the later immobiliser as part of the HS Can rather than the earlier BMW derived EWS immobiliser and the bottom line is we lost the only key.

We have had two key programmers make a key but they won't turn the ignition and we have now purchased a genuine Landrover key matched to the vin that won't turn the ignition or turn off the alarm and I'm trying to program it with my MSV2 but from what I can tell I need to have a working key first.

I can trick the ignition in to turning on although itvwon't crank but if I put any of the keys in at the start of the Faultmate pairing process it just says the key is disabled, insert an enabled key.
Has anyone managed to program a new genuine key without an existing working key please ?
Thanks
Andy

Post #185937919th Sep 2017 7:16 pm
ryanc

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Where do i find the settings too re program my key again.. on the on vehicle explorer.? I changed my battery in engine . Key starts car but wont lock unlock on keyfob

Last edited by ryanc on 22nd Dec 2019 12:31 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #20728571st Aug 2019 7:15 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Don’t reprogram then

You probably have another issue?

Maybe another battery disconnect ? Laughing

Post #20728681st Aug 2019 8:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >