Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Air Conditioning Service - is it worth it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Air Conditioning Service - is it worth it?

Just had an email from LR dealer offering "half price" air conditioning service at £50 and free health check. I regard the latter as a means to get me spending more, but is there any merit in the air con service? This includes check for leaks (it works, so guess mine is ok), Filter check (not seen it fall out, so should still be there), efficiency check (it gets cold), and finally drain and refill.

So, the last item may be of value, but if its not broken, should I leave well alone, or, does fresh refrigerant in some way extend the life of the system and save problems later. Existing coolant has last 7 years and 100k miles.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #9641479th Aug 2012 5:57 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

A place near to me will do a full regas and service,check for leaks for £49.00 so the dealer price is not a bad price but they are hoping they get other work.?.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #9641509th Aug 2012 6:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have AC units at work that have not been topped up in 15 years and they still blow ice cold. The trick is to keep running them, it keeps the oil circulating and stops the gas molecules from separating and leaking past the seals.

I'd say if you are happy with the performance, leave it well alone!

"Sir while we were completing your airconditioning service we looked at your brakes/engine/transmission/body/electrics/tyres/suspension and magicked up a figure of £14000 for all the work you need. Would you be interested?"
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #9641549th Aug 2012 6:12 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks Flack and James. Decision confirmed, I will do what I always do, have the air on on at all times and bask in the pleasure of making the dealer sweat a little longer for some of my dosh Very Happy
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #9641579th Aug 2012 6:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >