DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Peculiar Behaviour with the brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
badbearontour

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Peculiar Behaviour with the brakes

Hi All,

Heres a question for you... I have a D3 2TDV6 HSE 55 plate....

when I start it up from cold and drive it on a flat road upto say 10 mph and dip the clutch the thing rolls as you would expect 2.7tons of metal to do... for a very long time.

After about 15 miles, that behaviour changes.... if I dip my clutch, the car slow noticeably more quickly and when it finally stops, its stops with a little bump. Its almost like a binding caliper. but why would a caliper not be binding when the car is first started... it seems to need heat in it to start this behaviour.

Anyway, After a advisory on a previous MOT, I changed the nearside front caliper and front pads (they were cooked), took it for a test run and that behaviour is still there though not as strong so something was happening with the caliper and pads...

something I did notice when I had the wheels in the air.. the nearside (changed caliper side) hub is a bit harder to turn by hand with the pads removed than the other side with the pads removed... is that normal?? Does something happen in the diffs when they heat up? or do you reckon this is just another caliper playing up too?

This all could be a daft newbie question, but its my first LR and I have no real experience with the mechanics of 4x4s, its odd when all the wheels are connected to each other...

Regards

BBOT

Post #95952427th Jul 2012 3:56 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Don't know about the diff thing but it sounds like binding brakes Confused Jack each wheel up and make sure the pads are free in the guides (wee drop copper slip grease on contact points), also make sure the sliding bolts are free to move (in and out). It's also worth pushing the caliper piston back in (should be easy to do with wind back tool, G clamp or similar). If you check all four calipers pads like this I would expect the problem to disappear Smile

If not, I'm sure someone will be along soon with another theory 8)

Post #95952827th Jul 2012 4:05 pm
badbearontour

Thanks Biffy, I'm pretty sure the fronts are good after the new pads, so I'll whip the backs apart and see whats going on there.... just that odd stiff wheel, I thought it was probably the limited slip diff or something... I remember having fighting diffs in the race cars and they were a Censored to turn by hand

bbot

Post #95953127th Jul 2012 4:13 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

What I found was the caliper sliders were fine but the pads, rear inboard on both sides were pretty gummed up with cr Censored p, a good clean and copper slip sorted it out, for once a quick and cheap D3 fix! Very Happy

Hope its something similar for yours and don't dismiss the front ones too quickly as they can gum up quite quick depending on your D3 use, best of luck! Thumbs Up

Post #95955527th Jul 2012 5:04 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Check your epb as well and make sure its adjusted correctly as per Bodsy Brake Bible, it sounds like you are binding but if your epb is ok then you need to do as Biffysun says and clean the remaining calipers and make sure the pistons in each are moving freely.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #95956227th Jul 2012 5:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Personally, I would have the rear discs off, and check the EPB shoes are not seized. Doesnt take that long to check, and its well worth it for peace of mind

What happens when you ignore a sticky EPB:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Not a cheap fix, have it looked at soon :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #95980128th Jul 2012 8:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
badbearontour

oh dear those pictures are not good news.... I'll take a look today ...

Thanks Everyone

Post #96016529th Jul 2012 8:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >