Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

never ending story 2005 lr3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LR3Nubie

United Arab Emirates 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
never ending story 2005 lr3

okay guys i really need some professional advice because i am becoming desperate and changing everything on the engine ( and i am sorry for making it a long story, but i thought of giving a history will have some insight), actually desperate enough to send it to the dealer again here in the United Arab Emirates as a last resort and i know its going to cost me an arm and a leg, thinking that they will be my savior, guess what........... they ended up playing the guessing game just like everybody else i tried.

it all started about 4 months ago, when Ian Bodsworth was coming here to UAE and i was suppose to meet him, however a day before, my radiator hose blew off, although i didnt drive it once that happened, but i did end with a broken driver side cam i took it to dealer, but they gave me a ridiculous quote, and scared the hell out of me when they said that they suspect a cracked engine block Censored an independent mechanic did the job plus change the radiator and coolant tank, 200 kilometers after the same cam broke again, the mechanic blamed it on over tightened bolts on the cam, 500 kilometer after i can feel the engine is not running right and it has no power, the same mechanic blamed it on the coils and injectors, we cleaned the injectors and bought a full set of coils and sparkplugs, again 500 kilometers after the same cam breaks again (mind you i am a very gentle driver, and no off roading yet) off the engine goes and another job is made. all went well with a shaking engine on idle (i convinced my self its a 7 year old car in a harsh environment so i shouldnt be expecting a whole lot), until 1000 + kilometers i changed the oil and oil filter. next day when i started the car i had a ticking sound from the car and the oil light on the console came on, i turned the car off checked coolant, oil and vitals all was well with no signs of danger, so i decided to drive it to the mechanic instead of towing it (biiiiig mistake) in the middle of the highway the car just froze in its place, towed it to another mechanic,, again the driver side cam was broken in two pieces, one week later and another three yes THREE cams broken, the mechanic discovers that the head housing is not aligned and the oil pump is very weak Exclamation

replacing everything with new including the water pump, tensioners, and belt the engine started perfectly and smooth, out for a test drive and i get the reduced engine performance message on the board and disappears after few kilometers with no hard fault, getting multiple readings from generic code readers, i ended up changing the throttle body, maf sensor and thermostat, manifold gaskets but the message still comes on at 3000 rpm and a vacuum leak from somewhere and the car becomes toooooo heavy to drive, sport/manual shifting would kill the car and the christmass tree lights would come on board, i need to turn it off and then on again for the car to move.
having enough of all this i decided to send it back to the dealer since no one seems to be able to understand what is going on, one week later with all kinds of tests and diagnostics made, they are telling me that the engine compression is higher than the average, all marking over 180 psi (they did make dry and wet compression test), they are convinced that it might be wrong timing or the lower thrust bearing is busted.
all of this i am being told there is no hard fault recorded, and when i drove the car for a couple of days with this (reduced engine performance) i didnt see any light come on until i shifted it to sport/manual gears.

my question is, does any of this sound wright, or are they also guessing Sad

any feedback or eye opener would be highly appreciated.

thanks
moe

Post #95690520th Jul 2012 10:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >