Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Possible Air Compressor Solution?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
OL_KAW_LIGA

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Possible Air Compressor Solution?

This is my first post but i've been lurking on here for 5 or 6 months. At the beginning of the year I purchased a used 2005 LR3 SEV8 and have had a perma grin ever since. It only has 49,000 miles and is in great shape for the year.

Back around March I began getting orange suspension faults...which eventually turned into red faults and the truck would lower to the bump stops. After turning off the engine the faults will reset and usually come back on within a few minutes of driving. Theres no leaks that I can find and as long as the vehicle is aired up it will stay that way for days. I live in Mississippi and the closest dealership is over 100 miles away and it is difficult for me to take off to have it looked at.

As the weather warmed up these faults and the constant airing up and lowering is taking a toll on my compressor. Every once in a while it will stop and say it has to cool down. I don't believe it is wore out yet but I know i've been putting a strain on it for the past few months.

I recently purchased the IID tool from britpart in hopes of diagnosing my problems without constant trips to the dealer.

Come to find out the right front ride height sensor keeps giving faults. I can clear them out and after a few minutes drive i will recieve a suspension fault. Usually there are 3...the first two are the front right ride height sensor and the third says eas control module.

I'm going to order a new front sensor and hopefully that will fix my issues.

Anyway now that i've explained my issues...I'm considering the consequences of my compressor going out soon due to the strain ive put on it.

I'm planning on adding on board air to my rig to air up tires and run air tools and such.

I've done some searching on here but havn't ran across anything similar to what i'm wanting to do.

I know there is a bung on the front of the factory air tank. Would it be possible to run a line from that bung to the auxillary air tank I'm planning on installing? I figure by doing this I can take most of the strain off my factory compresser and use the 100% duty viar compressors which are much cheaper to pick up the slack.

I'm planning on adding a tank to the passenger side of the truck to match the oem one on the drivers side.

Use 2 viair 444c compressors like these to fill the aux air tank.

[img]http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/6/3/2/9/4/webimg/544690314_o.jpg?nc=414

They are rated to 200psi and have a 100% duty cycle. They come with a pressure switch which cuts on at 150psi and off at 180psi.

According to my IID tool when my air compressor stops running my tank is sitting at 169psi.

I figure with the supliment of my aux system to my factory air my oem compressor will run very little or not at all....plus i will have the volume of two tanks to lift my suspension so no more waiting on pressure build up by raising and lowering the truck more often.

I'm planning on mounting the compressors where the factory spare tire was using a bracket i'm going to fabricate.

Then I will run an in line dissicant drier between the compressors and the aux tank as well as one betwenn the aux tank and the oem tank to prevent any issues with water contamination to my factory suspension.

I can get the two compressors and switchs and fittings on ebay for around $300 and probably plumb it and buy the aux tank and have less than $500 in the whole set up.

This is as cheap as a replacement compressor plus i get the benefit of on board air for offroading and tools and more air capacity for my suspension.

This seems like such an easy fix I feel like I've overlooked something major that I'm not thinking about....especially since I havn't run across someone who has already done this?

Any reason you guys can think of that this wouldn't work?[/img]

Post #94541222nd Jun 2012 7:25 am
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm pretty sure when I was diagnosing a similar orange suspension light at my independent dealer, the gallery pressure was showing 1700kPa before the compressor overheated and shut down (meaning it needs even more than that).

1700kPa = 246psi.

But that was on the original compressor and software. I believe a software update reduces the working pressure but I don't know the values. Maybe one of the techy dudes with the faultmate can tell us Smile
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #94541822nd Jun 2012 8:06 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The 240 odd psi is the pressure of the air tank. The actual air bags need a lot less. Someone has done a similar set up. I think you can even buy a kit.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #94553622nd Jun 2012 1:00 pm
OL_KAW_LIGA

I'm not sure as I am the second owner of the vehicle but it's possible that my lr3 has the update to drop the pressure to make it easier on the compressor. I haven't manually checked the psi of my tank but according to my IID Tool it's sitting at 169psi when it's full so I'm assuming it's been updated. The main thing I was wondering if there's anything about the design of the factory system that would keep this from working that I haven't foreseen before I order all this stuff.

Post #94570422nd Jun 2012 5:30 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

At 169psi it sounds like the compressor may be on the way out. The problem with using an external air input alll the time is that it introduces water into the system. You will need a dryer and keep it serviced.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #94589622nd Jun 2012 10:59 pm
OL_KAW_LIGA

What psi does the new update drop it to? I know originally the tank was pushing well over 200psi but I thought the new software update dropped it below 200. The compressor stops everytime around that pressure not because it overheats but because its reaching its specified psi. I'm not really concerned with water getting into the system. I am going to run to dissicant air driers. One in line from the compressors to the aux tank...and one from the aux tank to the oem tank. Should stay nice and dry Very Happy

Post #94591623rd Jun 2012 12:18 am
ubp_sanity

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

I'd be interested as well. I just put a new compressor on mine.

It was making me mad since it dropped to the bump stops and wouldn't raise, and all I had to do was get some air into the reservoir. In the trunk, I had 3 100cu ft tanks filled with 3500 psi of air. For all I know, a few months worth of driving there, but no way to get air from those tanks to the reservoir.

I'm sure I could easily get an old scuba regulator first stage, and bump the IP up to 200 psi or more. Free air, and dry air.

Just need a way to connect the two together.

Post #94845529th Jun 2012 3:48 pm
BazLR3

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR3

How much damage can be done by driving the car on its bump stops following a complete suspension failure? My dealer is approx. 15 miles away from my house, I am asking this just in case. Given the prices of the D4, I am planning to keep my LR3 (currently 5 years young with 62,000 miles) for another 5 years.

Post #9502734th Jul 2012 6:00 am
ubp_sanity

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

I'm not sure how much damage can be done. All I know is that it's a very harsh ride. And as a friend of mine commented about the alignment, the camber is very negative, I had to do more than 15 miles, hope my tires weren't affected much.

It was a hard day or three driving like that, using the tires as the only suspension. Not sure how tractors do it.

Post #9507745th Jul 2012 1:56 am
BazLR3

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR3

Dealer reported that it was the dryer in the compressor that needs to be services, I will take the car and return it to them once they get the approval. He also said that the battery needs changing and that it needs to be replaced, he said that he will try to change that under warranty as well, I kinda doubt that it will go through though!

What are the battery specs? I need to start shopping, something tells me it is going to be an expensive one!

Post #9508055th Jul 2012 8:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >