Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Catastrophic failures of TDV6 engines in South Africa
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Shocked Shocked George really worrying news( having 2xTDV6 in the family with one being in RSA), I have been following on SA 4x4 community, so what you are saying is that the replacement sub assembl( only way to replace piston on a failed TDV6) has been upgraded? You did mention in SA4x4comunity of your "Poly-TFL" treated cars in Europe any suggestion for uk based suppliers seeing my D3 on average is parked for 4/5weeks in Dec every year?
Disco mickey any experience of this type of engine Failure?
As always statitcs % of failures would put this in perspective but I intend to keep my D3 so would like to limit nasty/costly surprises!
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #96785920th Aug 2012 10:28 pm
hgbosch

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Hi D4JWW

there used to be a distributor for Poly-TFE in the UK. What I would suggest is that you get a few guys together and then we can send you a 1 litre bottle of the Poly-TFE concentrate. That will be enough for 12 engine treatments. You can mix it yourself with the proper oil. That is what TGWInduna does.

The main problem comes with wear and tear. Everytime the engine is started after some time standing (3 days +) there will be an initial dry run until the oil pressure has been built up sufficiently. And it is in that crucial period, that the big end bearings can start to move, provided they have been exposed to sufficient wear and tear.

The Poly-TFE treatment puts an effective stop to this. So it is a longterm solution and not a quick fix. We have some of the vehicles in our fleet that stand for more than 5 months during (european) winter, due to the salt on the roads. For the past 20+ years they have been protected by this method.

One of the best preventative steps you can take is to have an oil analysis done. This will highlight any upcoming problems with bearing related issues, due to hightened bearing material related abrasive particles in the oil.

Good luck!
 EX AFRICA SEMPER ALIQUID NOVI
SEMPER IN FAECIBUS SUMUS SOLE, PROFUNDUM VARIAT Shocked

with kind regards

George Bosch
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
2003 Range Rover Td6
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi (sold)
And some more serious stuff 

Post #96790321st Aug 2012 6:04 am
hugeviking

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Just to be clear hgbosch are you saying that the main journal bearings are rotating or the big end bearings

Andi.

Post #96925824th Aug 2012 9:14 pm
koshar

Russia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 3

Hi hgbosch!

" ......Because on the new motors, a coarse cross honing pattern has been introduced on the conrod and lower half bearing block, which will put a stop to this unintentional movement of bearing shells.

But for all the D3 TDV6's out there ...."

Sorry for my english, I understand that the new engines are inserts with locks? (as in the picture)? Can we find such in our motor?
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/34350/191.gif

Post #104383628th Jan 2013 5:50 am
cupraspark

United Kingdom 

Hi all Very Happy I have a jaguar 2.7 diesel 2005 with 80000 miles on it with full jaguar service history.
In September i got a light tapping noise which got louder and louder but it sounded like a stuck lifter.
I was going to change the oil so i removed the sump only to find bearing material...Oh Censored . Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
I'm in the process of stripping the engine and have found the 3 of the 4 main bearings are Censored .
The bigends look ok apart from the top bearing showing a very small amount of copper directly inline with the top of the conrod.
If Jaguar/Landrover have altered the block that means that they know that this is a problem, Confused so why don't they help the people like us who have had this happen? Big Cry Big Cry
Iv'e been told that you can not get the bearings but it MUST be possible to match bearings after measuring the Con rod / crackshaft Journals and it must be possible to machine the block at an engine shop to accept bearings with a tab on them.
All the best and take care Marc Very Happy

Post #10484353rd Feb 2013 10:50 pm
robsta

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Hello hgbosch

I have been following this thread for a while and think I should look for this magic muti. My D3 is coming up to 86000km now and just had a service end Jan due to the 6 month interval, not on distance.

I have 2 questions....

I am battling to find Mineral spec Two stroke oil, so would synthetic suffice, and

Question 2 who makes the best POLY TFE in your opinion, and where will I get it in Durban?

Then, my D3 has done about 500km since its service in Jan, of which it was a biggie, R12100.00 worth incl disc and pads. Can I just add to the engine right now or would I need to drain?

Just as far as Slick50 is concerned! I am a pilot by trade and early on when slick50 came into SA, we had an owner put the product into his Cessna 210 turbo Centurion. About 10 flight hrs or so later, during take off at Grand Central Airport he had a catostrophic failure where a piston acctually climbed out of the engine, post fire and an emergency crash landing 200 m off the runway. The engine was sent away and it was determind to be the additive interferring with some other component in the oil system. The aircraft rolled onto its side in the crash, but everyone climbed out fine. Since then I have been sceptical, but I also know that it may be completely unrelated. Your comments if you would be so kind?

Regards
 Previously Freelander II
Previously '08 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
Previously '10 Disco4 TDV / SDV6 HSE
Now: '12 Freelander II SD4 HSE -
Now '11 Disco4 V8 HSE 

Post #10493845th Feb 2013 11:16 am
Ededdie

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

Hi HGBosch

Please advise on the where i can get this Poly TFE, im based in Cape Town.
Also the type of 2s0 is thatt sold at all the salsol's?

What top tech spec liquimoly would u recomened, as the guys locally only seem to have 4200 5w30 and not the 4500.

Thanks

Ed

Post #10995075th May 2013 9:11 pm
Sender

Jersey 

Hi

I'm a RRS 05 Owner, running the 2.7 TDV6 Jag engine, does anyone know if this has happened to many of these problems have occurred with this engine??
I know the RRS has many similarities to the D3 so don't want to run the risk as our RRS is our main day to day work horse. We have a extended warranty and service plan and has always been looked after by the LR dealer since we've bought it from them.

Post #144497519th Mar 2015 10:03 am
hgbosch

Ededdie wrote:
Hi HGBosch

Please advise on the where i can get this Poly TFE, im based in Cape Town.
Also the type of 2s0 is thatt sold at all the salsol's?

What top tech spec liquimoly would u recomened, as the guys locally only seem to have 4200 5w30 and not the 4500.

Thanks

Ed

Hi Ededdie

sorry for the late reply, you can source Poly-TFE from Nekkies at Gateway Offroad Centre in Wellington and also in CPT.

Here is a pic of the oil I use for the TDV6

with kind regards

George Bosch
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
2003 Range Rover Td6

Post #144498619th Mar 2015 10:18 am
hgbosch

Sender wrote:
Hi

I'm a RRS 05 Owner, running the 2.7 TDV6 Jag engine, does anyone know if this has happened to many of these problems have occurred with this engine??
I know the RRS has many similarities to the D3 so don't want to run the risk as our RRS is our main day to day work horse. We have a extended warranty and service plan and has always been looked after by the LR dealer since we've bought it from them.

Hi Sender

the TDV6 bottom end problems are basically two-fold

1. Bearings start to rotate due to excessive friction during cold starts mainly after prolonged periods of non-activity. The TDV6 needs some time to build up oil pressure...... There is a fix here in South Africa for this. It is called Poly-TFE and all who are using it on their TDV6 engines have been spared from engine failures caused by bearings turning.

2. Snapped cranks - this is mainly caused by a failed or faulty front crank balancer. They are of a two-part rubber bonded design. With age etc, the rubber bonding separates and eventually fails and the balancer starts to wobble. Snapping of cranks has been observed to happen in engines with perfect bearings.

So the only solution here is to change the front balancer every 100'000km or so. Early warning sign are excessive wear on the Poly-V belt on the edge facing the radiator (fraying).

I trust this helps!

with kind regards

George Bosch
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
2003 Range Rover Td6

Post #144499119th Mar 2015 10:27 am
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sender wrote:
Hi

Mechanically the RRS is the same as the D3 so will suffer similar issues.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #144513519th Mar 2015 4:23 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Yep, old style RRS is a d3 in a pretty skirt.

Just don't tell them that on The Dark Side ( www.rrsport.co.uk ), they get upset. Whistle

Post #144513719th Mar 2015 4:26 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nodge68 wrote:
Mechanically the RRS is the same as the D3 so will suffer similar issues.

Not just mechanically either. Thumbs Up

DSL wrote:
Just don't tell them that on The Dark Side

I, for one, have already let that horse bolt! Laughing

They're grateful for it when it comes to technical advice. Wink
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #144518019th Mar 2015 6:14 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

It's a bit like pointing out to an ePoke owner that their car is basically a freebie 2 in a miniskirt and to a DiscoSport fan that it's really a Freelander 3 with a big angry D I S C O V E R Y badge on its ar$e. Power of badging. Laughing Laughing

Post #144519119th Mar 2015 6:44 pm
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Cylinder 6 Piston Melt

George

I had a cylinder 6 Piston melt on my 07 Disco 3. Read thru this thread as thoroughly has my limited technical skills could afford and to me it seemed that you had an answer to the big end problems but not for the melting of the cylinder 6 piston... other than carbon build up.

My Disco 'blew-up' going up a hill towing a 3 tonne caravan and had been remapped and this happened about 6k after replacing timing belts without the use of a crank locking pin and mis-timing my engine.

My mechanic is telling me to buy a secondhand engine ... I think because other than a leaky injector ( possibly care of re-mapping) he is not sure what the root cause may have been.

So my questions are:
1. What did you conclude the cause of this was? Why Cylinder 6?
2. Am I good to go if I:
a. Replace the piston and clean off carbon from the top end of the motor (heads, valves, piston crowns)
b. Replace injector - cylinder 6 (tolerance check others)
c. Reset cam timing
d. Restore factory engine map/or back off the exisiting one (I am still up in the air on this)
e. Blank EGR's

I really don't want to buy a secondhand engine - I have treated mine well in terms of maintenance intervals and it has spent most of it's life pooddling around central London. I also try to drive it on the torque curve and not just 'flatten' the throttle up hills... although towing a heavy van excessive throttle is always going to occur naturally.

Thanks in advance, Brett

Post #179606026th Mar 2017 2:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >